HO Battery and Alt ?.

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 436
I have an 03 Alero. i think the alt is 105a. ive been running an a8000t amp (800rms), for awhile now. i dont have any subs hooked up to it right now, but its still hooked up. when i turn my HU on, and turn it to a quarter volume, the light in my ashtray holder thing, starts to blink, and dim. (im guessing because my amp is still drawing a good amount of power). when i turn my HU off, it doesnt at all.

What is the exact problem?

do i need a new battery? i have ran 3 different systems on this battery, and i have for about 5 months. my other systems were only about 250rms though.

anyone got anything?

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 783
your alt should be plenty big, and your battery should still be good to because it is still fairly new. i have been running 1600wrms off a wal-mart battery for a few months an i works fine but my lights do dim lol. just detatch the remote wire so your amp doesnt draw any power from your battery if you dont have subs hooked up. i think some people will argue that a cap is good for nothing but i got one for cheap and it noticably helped the lights dimming.

Silver Member
Username: Stnorris

Eldridge, IA US

Post Number: 441
yeah thanks. it wont matter if the subs are hooked up will it? lol. i would normally have them hooked up anyways, but im wokring on my box.

a few days ago when they were hoooked up though, i didnt see the dimming on that light? IDK.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3294
"just detatch the remote wire so your amp doesnt draw any power from your battery if you dont have subs hooked up. i think some people will argue that a cap is good for nothing but i got one for cheap and it noticably helped the lights dimming." SW9152

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ COME AGAIN^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
WRONG!
lol

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 787
what is wrong?

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3295
a capacitor helps voltage, and does nothing to current!

a 105a alternator does about 40a @ idle... and if yours is already dieing, like it sounds like, its prob doin ALOT less @ idle.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3296
Current (I) = Voltage (v) /(divided by) Resitance ®..

I = V/R << Its all propotional..

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 788
the cap DID help the lights dimming in my car...

that was when i had a a8000t too, i intalled the cap. it DID make a differnce in lights dimming. i am telling from personal experience. now that i have my RF X7 i put in an extra battery, but thats a different story.

also how would a 3 year old 105a alt all ready be going bad? esspecially will only running a 250w amp off it? i still have the original stock alt in my 1993 ford explorer with 240,000 miles on it and it is running strong. lol

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 789
the voltage drop made the light dim... caps helps the voltage stay up.

Silver Member
Username: Swisher

Marianna, FL

Post Number: 179
it wouldnt hurt to get a HO alt anyways because once you get into car audio u always want more so im sure u will upgrade in the future to a bigger setup nate @ excessive amperage does good alts that does HO at idle

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 3299
the capacitor helped your lights from diming by stiffenin the voltage at the amplifiers voltage rails... HOWEVER it did NOT help do NOTHING to the CURRENT at your amplifiers voltage rails, or even help the current to the power rails it actually NEEDS!

Current and Voltage are DIRECTLY propotional..

it may have stoped dimming the lights, but voltage is not what is beeing negleted, the current is what is.... the voltage doesnt KILL the amplifer, the CURRENT DOES!

you need to take time and reflect on how your charging system is actually working... You are MASKIN the problem....
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us