OT: AC systems

Silver Member
Username: Ironslave

Offutt AFB, Nebraska U.S.A.

Post Number: 512
damn it's hot here... but my A/c isnt working...

i charged the system but it seems like there a problem...does anyone know about these things...

the gauge on the low side builds up and the compresser turns on for a second and then turns off... the gauge goes into the red when it cuts off...

nothing gets cold... i dont know what to do... dont wanna spend azz loads of money for some a hole to fix it

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1546
does your electric fan turn on?
and your compressore is on right?...

Silver Member

Post Number: 513
yea.... the comressor kicks on.. the pressure drops and than it kicks off... than pressure builds up (to around 60 PSI) and over and over

Silver Member
Username: Van_man

Boston, MA

Post Number: 511
Is it R12 or 134A? Short cycling is a sign of low gas. If the charge is good?, then try hitting the accumulator. Sometimes after sitting all winter the screen clogs. Be gental, use the handle part of a hammer. (Accumulator, Big, alluminum thing that the lines go in near the compressor).Make sure car is running with ac on high when hitting it. Also check all the connections. If there is oily stuff near/on a connection then its leaked. common places are at the comp, where both lines enter. the lines near the comp. and the lines at the evaporator. Also evapotator may have let go. @$360 for my wifes car last week. Ouch.

Bronze Member
Username: Jcash

Post Number: 80
does your ac system get more fucked up if theres a leak? cause mine i put freon on it and it trew it all from somewhere i dont know. but you can hear hissing sounds when i turn the ac on.

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 513
Yes, Dirt and moisture will kill your comp. and clog the shiney metal thing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 514
no not the shiney metal thing...

yea i think i have a clogged line because when the comressor kicks on the pressure drops to 0

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 525
is there pressure when it is off?. BTW, Lines seldom clog, only accumilater due to filter. If there no pressure when its off, your out of gas. IE you have a leak. The reading you get is the compressor compressing air.

Silver Member

Post Number: 515
theres 40 PSI when it's off

Silver Member

Boston, MA

Post Number: 551
In order to find the source of a leak, the technician will need to add refrigerant to the system if only a small amount of refrigerant remains, and the refrigerant is at a pressure of less than 50 pounds per square inch. However, if there are at least a few ounces of refrigerant already in the system, a technician should not need to add refrigerant in order to identify which components will require replacement. (Keep in mind that a greater quantity of refrigerant -- usually a minimum of 1-1.5 pounds -- must be in the system in order to determine if the system will provide cooling.)

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/609/recharge.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us