I have 2 infinity 1242's and...

Username: Mightyfish

United states

Post Number: 1
I was wondoring what amp I should get. I was thinking http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=mahk798&store=&catid=8048
that way I can run them to their full potential. I also heard though that when the infinity 1242's are run hard that the speaker wire detaches from the sub, anyone hear of this? If so, what would you do to prevent this from happening?

Silver Member
Username: Andysd03

Post Number: 174
yaman that amp is prob around 300 to 400 rms and if your infinities are around 150 to 200rms that amp prob be fine. dont overpower infinity they will most likely blow they are more of an SQ sub not SPL so they prob wernt made to take a whole lot of power but i suggest geting a monoblock for subs http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14927
that amp is great a bit more money but highly worth it

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 695
hell no to MA audio, they're not bad but they're rated at 17 volts, that's not good and you should get something that gives 400 or 300rms at 12 volts, go with the alpine

United states

Post Number: 2
Well, I have 2 infinty 1242's , and that's why I was going to have it setup to run a sub per channel. I would also like to keep the price below the $200 level for an amp. Which is why I liked that MA audio amp, I can run up to 400 wrms per channel, and I can find it for only 175 shipped.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2274
never want to run them at max power, run around rms or just above, and if you want to keep the tinsel lead from breaking, watch the power and contol finger on volume....MA Audio was terrible for their VOICE COils...

United states

Post Number: 3
So, would you say don't get MA Audio then? Because I mis-read the amp, and it's 300 wrms at 2 ohms which is the same as my subs, the 400 watts was at 1 ohm. I thought I read somewhere that you can replace the speaker wire on the sub so it won't break from the sub when you push them. Any one have any recomendations on an amplifier, and a replacement wire for the subs so the wire doesn't break from the sub. I don't want to spend over 200 dollars for the amp though. And I also need a stereo and box. Any recomendations on either of those?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2287
go to ikesound.com and look at the orion west coast custom 1600w, for 178, or find a used orion hcca 250g4 for reasonable on ebay, 9that will pound those subs to death.....

United states

Post Number: 4
Where can I find how many volts a amp is running at? I've been searching a little bit and I can't find anything about that. And I don't want an amp that will run more wrms than my subs. 300 wrms I think is the perfact number, which is what the MA audio amp is rated at. The amp is 160 plus 15 dollars shipping.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2292
the amp will run at what ever your voltage system is in car. the rated voltage is what they test and rated at, alot are tested and rated at more then a normal cars voltage. the Ma i doubt does that at normal car voltage, so less then the 300w rms.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2294
just look it has a max of 1000w, you really should be looking at a 800-1000w rms it would be fine, @12-14.4volt rating.

United states

Post Number: 5
I have heard that my sub has a bad tendency to have the wire on the sub ripping off the ??cone?? if you push it too hard? If this is the case, then is there anything I can replace it with?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2299
no, alot of the times, you just resolder it back on/if you can get to it.

United states

Post Number: 6
ok, so your saying get the orion amplifier? Now, what about a box for my subs and a stereo?

Silver Member
Username: Budling

Cali USofA

Post Number: 127
Infinity subs burn tinsel leads because people run them with ther amp clipping. They r easy to fix just make sure to watch that u dont melt any of the plastic holdin the terminals in the process.
U should send back the 1242w's and get some 1240w's and power them with a Memphis prd1000.IMO

Gold Member

Post Number: 2301
i would, before the MA, and depends what kind of car your putting these in, and i would go with a pioneer or alpine head unit, make sure it has front, rear and sub controls.

Silver Member

Cali USofA

Post Number: 131
Also when tinsel leads go bad they dont always come apart.
The Infinity 1230w's that I had this problem with, the sub stopped working so I took I out of the box with it still connected and music playin, wiggled the tinsel lead a bit and it worked. So dont expect it to come apart. The 1230w was easy to re solder the tinsels, but the new models(1240w and up) r a bit harder. Alot more plastic to bump with the soldering iron and a tighter space to work with. I had a buddy buy one and used an Infinty amp with the gain jacked all the way up and was clippin like crazy. Fryed the tinsels in less than 4 months. I re soldered and set his gains properly and its still bumpin strong. If u power these 50wrms to 100wrms over just make sure u have the gain set correct and u should have no problems.

Silver Member

Cali USofA

Post Number: 132
I forgot to mention, The Infinity 1230w im usin in the video https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/231548.html is from this guy that was throwin it out because he thought it was toast, so I took it and re soldered the tinsels and look at it, not bad for around 290wrms. I would definitly use an amp with a bit higher rms.

United states

Post Number: 7
Well, taking my subs back and getting the single voice coils is easier said than done because I bought them from circuit city at christmas time for 100 buck.(It was the buy one get one free deal), and they no longer carry infinity.

So your saying that I can just solder the wire back together and it will work fine, sweetness.

The car I'm going to put these in is my 91 Beretta.

I can get a CDE-9852 from Alpine for 150 dollars. Would you suggest this radio?

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 703
why not pioneer? I don't like those alpine, pioneer has more options and cheaper, alpine is expensive for what you get. Or clarion, is nice too

Silver Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 349
little late to mention this but julio the alpine amps are infact rated at 14.4 volts as most other amps on the market now-a-days not 12.5

luke as for getting a head unit look at pioneer and eclipse...alpines are good too i just dont care for them as much

Silver Member

Cali USofA

Post Number: 137
That sux, u should have gotten the warranty with those subs. I did when I got my 1220w's, and about every 8months I connected them to a wall socket brought them back to Circuit Shity and got new ones. So ive had the 1220s, 1230s, 1240s, all for the price of the first set I bought. I dont really like the new models 1240s and 1250s, 1230w's r the best of the ref. series IMO.
Ive got an idea, u sell your 1242s to a buddy for $200 and I will sell u my 2 brand new, never been bumped 1230w's for $200+ shipping. That way u get better subs and u can run them in parallel to get 2ohm load.

Alpine is in the top 5 in HU's. Get either the Alpine or a Pioneer. Both r great budget HU's.

Silver Member

Cali USofA

Post Number: 138
If u decide to get the Memphis prd1000 u will be able to upgrade in the future. U could bump one Infinity ref. sub at 4ohm 300wrms, or two Infinity ref. sub at 2ohm 600wrms. And when u r ready to upgrade just buy 2 Infinity 12d VQ's and another prd1000 run them each at 2ohm 600wrms.
I have a prd1000 that normally powers a 12d VQ at 2ohm, but I sold the 12d VQ to a friend that wanted it and put that 1230w in for now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us