I got a legacy amp! What should I do???

Username: Heben

Post Number: 1
Way back when I knew nothing about car audio products I bought a Legacy Amp "3000 watts" class D mono block just like this one http://www.sjgreatdeals.com/tb-la3070d.html . It says It'll do 800w rms into 2ohms. I dunno whether or not to beleive that or whether or not to keep the amp and get subs for it. Does anyone know exactly how crappy Legacy is? I know they suck but I'd still like to put the amp to use since I'm po and need bass.

Gold Member
Username: Goatin

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1264
I'd hook it up. lol

And if you want a cheap (but effective) System I would recomend 2 2ohm 12" CVR's they are 400RMS
\/ Wire it like this \/
Upload

And enjoy :-)

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 654
can you bench test it and put the results, legacy is not very reliable, but i guess that one will put like 1000w at 1 ohm. They put 1/3 stated lol!

Post Number: 2
Awesome! Thanks alot! The setup I had in mind was a pair of 1000w rms 4 ohms per coil dvc 12" subs like these ones http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/3216
and I was gonna wire each coil in parallel for a 1ohm load, but is that even possible with a 2 channel amp? And would it be a good idea?

Post Number: 3
Judging from the size of the amp, I'd say 1000w sounds about right. Usually rms is said to be about 1/2 of peak. So with legacy it's more like 1/3? I don't know how to bench test it myself, but I have a friend who I'm hoping will do that for me, and I'll post the info when I get him to help me. So would the setup I mentioned work? or how else can I get 1ohm for cheap to maximize my watts?

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1401
dont get legacy sub. DO NOT.lol

Post Number: 4
I know legacy is a very low quality brand, but why not match my low quality amp with equally low quality speakers? I mean, I was gonna get mtx's, but if my amp already sucks then my system is gonna pretty much suck anyways, so why pay twice as much for decent subs?

Silver Member
Username: James_g

TN

Post Number: 500
All of the sites I checked show that amp listed as 2400w MAX. The LA3090D is listed as 3000w MAX. I would guess around 600w RMS from that LA3070D.

What size is the fuse/fuses in the amp, or what size does the manual recommend?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1405
ben, there are better sub that will get louder for the money for those legacies. for $ 65 plus shipping which is what u would be paying for those legacies, you can get a couple of comp vrs (only a lil more money) or maybe an AA assasin which is ike 75 bucks. A watt is a watt and nothing more and if u can find the real watts that the amp puts out, you can match it with some nice decent subs.

Gold Member

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1265
Ben my man, why would you use crappy subs on a not soo good amp?

I am shure that amp is at least a little overrated if not a lot.
But I personally would rather have a odlschool legacy amp than a new one, or a explod amp.

"I mean, I was gonna get mtx's, but if my amp already sucks then my system is gonna pretty much suck"
Not true for the most part a amp is a amp some just have better s/n ratios, Lower THD %, more actual RMS, Ect...

If you shoud decide to get some really cheap subs plan on keeping them, Or giveing them away because few suckers would buy a used legacy or some obvious El Cheepo. And they will sound really really bad, and when you hear them you might get really really mad.LOL :-)

If you want a cheap sub how about a cheep Pioneer,Or Audiobahn.

Then when you upgrade, or if you upgrade you can sell them to some poor sucker for at least what you paid for them maybe even a bit more. :-)

If you get subs make shure if you want 1 ohm you get 2 4ohm subs or 1 2ohm sub
And if you want 2 ohm get 2 2ohm subs or 1 4ohm sub.

Post Number: 5
Wow, thanks alot for the advice. It's really helpful. Is there a place on the net that tells how to test it for watts? Where is a good place to start looking for these subs? I'm a little confused about what you said about ohms, Rave'n. When you said

"if you want 1 ohm you get 2 4ohm subs or 1 2ohm sub"

were you talking about parallel wired DVCs?

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1415
hes was just talkin bout the diff wiring possibilities when u have 2 4 ohm subs you present a 1 on the amp and when i have 1 2 ohm sub you present a 1 ohm load.

what subs were u talkin about?^^

"Where is a good place to start looking for these subs?"

Post Number: 6
Really? what wiring configuration do you use to get 1ohm from 2 4ohm subs? I thought that wiring them in parallel would yeild a 2 ohm load and series would give you 8ohms. I thought that's what I was told. also I thought a 2ohm sub would just give you a 2ohm load. This is svc I'm talking about, and I thought the dvc's acted like 2 subs as far as ohms and wiring. Is all that wrong? or were you referring to some other type of wiring? I'm confused.

The subs I was thinking of looking for are the ones you suggested, Dustin. I've heard of those subs but I don't remember anything about them. Is ebay a good place to find them? Thanks alot again.

Gold Member

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1267
here is a cheap Pioneer. in a ported box they get loud.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14521
This woud make a good SPL sub (Ran in 2ohm)

Yes ben I meant DVC I am sorry I did not mention it. :-)

Gold Member

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1268
Oops ment to put this after
This woud make a good SPL sub (Ran in 2ohm
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13520

Gold Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1417
dont rec. audiobahn man.

ben use www.the12volt.com and go to woofer wiring on the left

and then play around with that, its pretty simple

Gold Member

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1269
I was talking for when he upgrades audiobahn and pioneer sell better than an el chepo.

Post Number: 7
All the kicker comp vr subs I can find are like 400w rms. Will that be enough for my amp? It says it'll do 800w rms into a 2 ohm load, so that would mean 1600w rms into a 1ohm load, right? It says it's 1ohm stable so I'd like to give it 1ohm. Even if it's significantly overrated, it seems to me it could very well blow a 800w rms setup at 1ohm, since it claims to have twice that amount of watts rms. That Pioneer would run into the same problem, I think. Am I wrong? Or are you guys suggesting I use a 2 ohm load?

Also, I can't seem to find any "AA Assasin" subs. I tried searching for "AA Assassin" as well on google and on ebay. Where can I find those?

Also, is there any tutorials on the net for finding the real watts?

Gold Member

Ohio U.S.A

Post Number: 1274
http://www.ascendantaudio.com/arsenal_page.html
Assasins are pure SQ subs check these ^.

I personaly would not stress that amp past 2 ohm.

Post Number: 8
Ok here's what I'm thinking, tell me if I'm wrong. If there's a decent chance the amp will do 1ohm then I'd like to give it a shot since it says it's stable and has thermal and overload protection. So can anyone recommend any subs that'll take somewhere close to 1600w rms into 1 ohm?

The legacies have a 5yr. warranty and say that 2 of 'em will take 2000w rms into 1 ohm for $65 ea. It'd be nice if I could find something like that by a quality company for close to the same price. The closest thing I've found so far is the Ascendant Arsenal 12", $180 ea. 750w rms, 4ohm dvc, 3yr warranty.

So what do you guys think? You've been a HUGE help so far, thanks alot!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us