Can any amplifier be bridged?

Username: Mrlarotta

BogotaColombia

Post Number: 1
Hi!

I always loved hi-fi sound, but only some time ago I started to building a semi-serious sound system form my room using old car-audio parts.

I'm using an Alpine 3531 4 channel amplifier (really old!). The owner's manual don't accept or deny any bridging posibilities in this amp.

I have connected channels 1 & 3 to left headunit output, and 2 & 4 for the right one.

Can I use the 1 and 2 channels to drive a speaker each one, and use the + of the 2 and the - of the 4, (that's bridging I'm right?) to drive i.e. a subwoofer?

thank you very much!!

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 638
bridging is when you connect + and - where your amp says bridged in small letter, i think in your amp you just connect 1 and 2 and there it will be bridged

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1276
not all amps birdge though. so i would keep lookin to make sure that u dont do somthin worong wiring wise

Username: Jirvin_82

Post Number: 3
some amps cant handle the ohms of ur sub if you bridge them. If you bridge it and it cant handle it your amp will just keep overheating and turn off but no harm done. if you amp keeps shutting off just hook it up normal and crank up your gain a little bit. it should be ok.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 1333
^^. lol, that might be one of the most ridiculous statements i have heard.

"if you bridge it and it cant handle it your amp will just keep overheating and turn off but no harm done. if you amp keeps shutting off just hook it up normal and crank up your gain a little bit. it should be ok."

for one, if ur amp keeps overheating, it will eventually burn up and fry. making the amp absolutely worthless.

your supposed to set your gain according to the output voltage of ur HU. you dont just turn ur gain up and it will make it all better. "when u turn ur gain up" your just making the amp work even harder and sacrificing volume at the same time. the higher ur gain is past what its supposed to be will just once again make ur amp overheat and go into protection which = FRY

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us