How do you run an extra batterie?

Bronze Member
Username: Snopro4ever

Post Number: 44
if i want to put another batterie in my trunk, how would i go about doing that? what do you use to chrage it or how do i hook it up? i dont htink it just chills there with amps runnign off it, atleast not for long.. my car on off right now will die in liek 10 secs with my subs on... how do i wire this??

Username: Sarcastic

Great Bend, Kansas USA

Post Number: 5
First how much RMS are you running? After we know if your alternator is capable of keeping up then go and get an optima redtop to put under your hood. If you still feel you need an extra battery, you can do that a number of ways.
Simply run a power cable (diameter determined by your amps current draw) to the back of your car. Then...1. Use a battery isolator to seperate your battery under the hood from the one in your trunk while your car is off so they do not drain each other or so that your stereo will not drain your starting battery. On a personel note I have only ever seen these things fail on high current drawing systems. If you use your vehicle as a daily driver I do not think you will need one. I personnaly do not even plan to use a second battery with my 3krms setup. Hope this helps.

Gold Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 1035
You can hook it up in parallel with your starter battery. Also, I would recomend getting a deep cycle battery, NOT an optima redtop, as an extra, or single battery, either way. (Yellow tops, and blue tops are their deep cycle line.)

some people think that a deep cycle battery as a starter battery is a bad idea, but I personally know several people (I used to as well) that do this with no problem.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2934
what SETH said...
just parallel it with the starter batt!!

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2268
i've got a yellow top and use it as my only battery with no problems at all.

if you have space under the hood, wire it up there in parallel with the existing battery. if not, put it in the back, run a positive wire from the under the bood battery to the positive on the one in the back and ground it to the chassis in the back.

either way, just make sure you wire them in parallel to keep 12V, it not you'll have 24V and fry some stuff.

also, if you don't already have new batteries, look into Optima, Olympus or Kinteic batteries. deep cycle is best for audio use too.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us