Eclipse CD3434?

Username: Dj_d3cib3l

Post Number: 2
Hello. I am new to this car audio thing, as I am more of a pro audio/home theater enthusiast. I have a 1999 Honda CRV EX and I plan to upgrade the audio inside the car. I have already purchased front speakers, Boston Acoustics FX6H's. The reason why I went with these and not components is because the mounting depth of the speakers up front cannot exceed 2 inches. I did want components and I did not mind drilling holes for the tweeters, but no component set I found would be able to fit without moderate modification (I dont want to destroy a large amount of plastics in the doors, etc.

Anyway, I know this is the wrong topic to ask about this, but I want to mention the speakers I want to use with the desired HU to make things easier. I liked the price and performance of the Boston's, even though they are the low end series, so I have decided to go with Boston's in the rear of my CRV too. Will the Boston SX65's fit into my CRV (hole-wise, utilizing the adapter rings if necessary)? Also, would the SX65's be a good choice, or should I go with the MB Quart DKE116's.?

But anyway, here is the problem I have. I want to buy a HU to replace the stock cd player in my car. I was looking at the Eclipse CD3434, an older model, as I have heard the low end models of the current series is not as good as the older eclipse models. I am looking at the CD3434 because it is not as expensive as the CD5444 (would that be better?) and it is not as low end as the CD3424 and, most of all, I can get one new on ebay. I like the motorized face, but dislike at the same time. I am afraid that the motor will lock up eventually and/or fail. Will the motor do that? Also, does anyone have any comments or reviews of the CD3434 or a recommendation of any similar Eclipse HU that would prove to be a better choice?
Any ideas? I want to keep the costs down and I am not looking for audiophile quality, as I have already spent enough on my Home Theater. Thanks so much!

Post Number: 3
anyone? I really need help on this one....

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3002
The CD3434 is a good unit. The only problem with the motorized face is actually the ribbon cable-it rubs against the plastic of the faceplate everytime the unit opens/closes-they're usually what wears out first, but they last for about two years before that happens. To me it's worth it, I just press the open button, put the CD in, and can pay a great deal more attention to my driving.

Post Number: 4
Well, you see, thats where I get stuck. I dont really want to go through the hassle of replacing a head unit ever so often because of bad build design. I at least want a head unit that lasts for 5 years or so and fails due to a more severe problem. What do you think of the Eclipse cd3404? It has a similar build and I like the look. I also assume that it has the same RMS output as the 3434. It also doesnt have the hassle of a flip out full face unit. Anyway, tell me what you think. Thanks so much!

Post Number: 5
Whoops. I made a mistake on the last post. I meant the Eclipse CD3403. Thanks again!

Post Number: 7
Another quick question, would the CD3413 be a bit better? Thanks!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us