New system assistance needed -- no spending limit!

Bronze Member
Username: Grat81

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 70
Ok guys, here's the deal.

I am graduating in May, I have a job lined up, and will be in the market for a brand new Mitsubishi Evolution in December, which, of course, is going to need a phat stereo.

I do NOT want to have to transfer all of my car audio equipment from my Celica to my new car for a few reasons:

#1) 2x Alpine 12" type-x are TOO HEAVY
#2) old equipment
#3) too much clutter

Here's the challenge. I need a system: head unit, speakers (whether they fit in factory locations or not) amplifiers, and 1-2 subs, preferrably 10" or 12" and here's the clincher:

LIGHT WEIGHT!!!

yes, I know, it is a lot to ask, considering the W7's are like 1000 pounds each (haha) and I would love to have them *sigh* We need to keep the subwoofers under 60-70 pounds for the pair. More weight = less acceleration, k?

So!!! Let your minds run free. Give me a complete (or semi-complete) listing of my options. Cost is NOT a factor, as long as the total system stays below 5000 dollars.

I am going for SOUND QUALITY. period. no exceptions. I love loud obnoxious bass too, but now is not the time.

Enjoy, and hit me up soon :-)

Garrett

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1289
wow, now this is a guy who is planning early. Getting a new car in december and wants a system picked out now. Just to let you know, you will probably change your mind 1000 times by then, lol. I'm sure Rovin or someone will pick out a great system for you for 5g's

Bronze Member

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 71
Just needed an idea, that's all ;) I'm sure by December people will have new line-ups and my hitlist will be all facked up.

I was looking at Polk's new high-end components and they look pretty amazing, but I'm sure there are better out there.

I'm highly concerened about the bass / weight problem. Wondering if there were any lightweight subs out there that didn't suck and had high power capabilities as well as great sound quality.

Clean power, great SQ, light weight, high quality. That's the deal ;)

-G

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 614
for amps i would take a look at US amps, sinfoni, mcintosh, zapco, JL. As for the subs, W6v2, Treo, Image dynamics. HU, Pioneer Premier, Alpine(don't know about thier 06 products), Eclipse. For speakers, Dynaudio, Seas, MB Quartz, Rainbow,(This will be the most subjective part to choose since everyone has thier favorites)Just my 2 cents.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1292
must people recommend rainbow components. They are pricey, but some of the top stuff out there. Chad Lee also has some new ones but I forget what one's he has. As for the HU, do you want a in-dash DVD, or just a basic HU?

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Weddington, Nc Usa

Post Number: 615
Treo subwoofers (from what I have heard) sound very good and can get very loud.

Gold Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1364
the w6v2 isn't all that heavy.. im getting an impreza STi so me and you are in the same boat, i got 2 JL 10w6v2's haven't hooked them up but they aren't all thta heavy, they are saposed to have great SQ seeing that they are from JL but yea... as for that 5k... spend about 2-3k on the system and use the other 2-3k on turbos and body kids and weight reductors on the evo... me and you should race some time... :-)

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 695
Great choice of car Garrett. I ride around in both an Evo and STi on an almost daily basis. You will love it, it drives soooo nice. The steering feel is the best I have ever felt, with the one exception of the older M5. (and I have driven plenty of great driver's cars)

Loudest and lightest weight will definitely be a 15" with a small (but strong) magnet. With a custom box you could fit one easily. The stock infinity system isn't all that bad either. (sounds great but doesn't go loud enough)

No Limit - It takes way more than just buying a different turbo, not to mention the tune to run it properly. A turboback exhaust, intake, and a ecu reflash or piggyback (chip) is your fastest path of modding for the most, and most reliable horsepower.

I may have an Evo by then, and make sure you post tons of pictures when you start putting your system in, I will be dieing to see how it comes out. I will also be going the SQ route in mine. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6629
1 crystal comp x 15, sealed
and 1 of those amps Alter is selling, UsAmps Merlin, i think...

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1365
why would you want an Evo... they are just soo... blah.... lol and besides Evo's are very slow compared to the STi :-) its no comparison LOL!!! hey BTW has anyone heard of the Suvaru WXR ZTi?
http://www.pc-wallpapers.co.uk/wallpapers/cars/SubaruWRX_ZTi_800.jpg

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1369
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.pc-wallpapers.co.uk/wallpapers /cars/SubaruWRX_ZTi_800.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.pc-wallpapers.co.uk/viewer.php% 3Fcmax%3D3%26cat%3DCA%26id%3D000048&h=600&w=800&sz=118&tbnid=OIh1qNVq4xV4XM:&tbn h=106&tbnw=142&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3DZTi%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr% 3D%26sa%3DN

maybe that one will work

Bronze Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Post Number: 46
These are some of the guys around town. Nice and FAST cars!
Upload
Left 2 Right
1. Acura Integra, Fry
2. Acura Del Sol, Jack
3. Mitsubishi Evo, Donny
4. Subaru STi, James
5. Subaru STi, Clay

Sorry about that. I would go with an Alpine 9833 or 9835 model HU. I've had both and nothing too different. New models have too many problems. Good luck.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 696
One thing you must be aware of Garrett, is that Mitsu is extremely strict about their warranty (who wouldn't be, it is 100,000 miles powertrain on a sports car!) and a HO alt WILL void it. I'm actually pretty sure that any aftermarket soundsystem will void it, even a 300 watt amp off the stock charging system. The cars are black boxed and mitsubishi monitors everything, boost pressure, your top speed etc...

So unless you are ready to void that warranty, don't even buy the car.

No limit - Since you ask, the subaru's paint and body quality is laughable. It is by far the cheapest paint and cheapest body panels placed on a car in the last decade. Simply leaning against it will put a huge dent in your car. Rock chips destroy the look of the front end. Riding behind a truck on the highway for more than 5 minutes and your STi won't be new anymore. The hood scoop (and entire hood for that matter) vibrate violently over every bump in the road. The huge wing in the back starts flexing up and down like crazy at highway speeds (and even worse at higher speeds). The overall styling is also just a little bit off to my taste as well. I love the shape of the car, but the accents are what kills it. The pink badges (they fixed this for 05 and newer, with "red" STi badges, but really it is just a less pink pink.) The outside of the car comes with 6 STi badges stock (7 if you count the one visible on the intercooler under the hood scoop, but that one actually looks great) the inside has about 6 more. I don't want 12 STi badges to tell everyone it's a damn STi... as if the whale tail wasn't obvious enough already... The doors are very poorly insulated, and the window itself makes the seal at the top (not a door frame like most cars) which gets visible moisture trapped in the seams and makes it looks sweaty all the time. Hmm, why else; well the paint quality comes to mind again, because that is the biggest problem with those cars. You can seriously dent them just by resting your hand on them. Both kids I know who own STi's have put serious nasty looking dents in theirs just by putting their hand on it. Also on my one friend's WRX (he had a wrx before his STi) he was cruising through a neighborhood one time, and a little 6 or 7 year old kid tossed a raw egg at his car, like a light arching toss from only 10 feet away, in a neighborhood, so we were going like 15 mph or less, and the egg took his paint off like it was as strong as the candy coating on an M+M. There was damage for the impact off the egg, as well as a outer ring of missing paint where the shell fragments broke and hit. (keep in mind this was a very light toss by a very small kid at very low speeds)

You are probably doubting me that the paint is that bad, but as soon as you lean on your car, there will be a dent. I swear to God. As hard as it is to believe.

The drivetrain, gearbox, turbo, engine, AWD, and everything involved in making the car go is absolutely sublime though. I drove it and immediately fell in love with how it felt. But I could never own a car that I had to worry that much about damaging the outside of it.

"and besides Evo's are very slow compared to the STi :-) its no comparison LOL!!! "

Actually the Evo is very comparable to the STi as far as street numbers (mostly ties or very slight wins to one or the other), but the Evo is faster than the STi through the slalom, and faster at the track. It is also MUCH more vibration resistant, which is very important when considering it for a serious soundsystem.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1296
wow dude, you really know your cars :-)

Gold Member

Phx, Arizona

Post Number: 1390
damn dude, ok then with the evo which one would you get the RS the IX or the MR, if it got an EVO i'd have to go with the MR. i honestly didn't know that about the pain and the body work... thats incredible... 33k for a car that get chipped from an egg... thats a discrase.. as for the evos are very slow compared to the STi.. it was a joke, because anyone that likes mits or suba know that they are in compitition and you know how that goes. as for the ZTi, do you know about it or is it just made up? is the handling with the evo the same as the STi or is it harsher, whats the info on that, you can IM me on AIM if you got it so you odn't have to talk on here, GOD SHAINE .... seiouesly thats crazy they would do that with the STI... im dissapointed...:-(

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 2628
13w3v3 JL 500/1
pioneer 7600 dvd with diagnostics
SEAS lotus reference component (jonathans favorite, why not) lol
300/2 for the components
fiberglass enclosure to fit the side of the trunk.

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 700
Well, it's a great car, but it just seems like all their effort was focused on the engine and performance, and keeping it light.

Ride quality is very similar in both cars. The STi can break all four tires loose violently from a launch, where the Evo just grips and goes. Depends what you want. If you want something refined and precise, with a blast of power when you really get on it, then you want the Evo. If you want a muscle car power always there feel, and the ability to peel out 4 tires at a stop light (which is rediculously bad a.ss) you may want the STi. Both are amazing cars. It's just that I have driven too many buckets to finally get my dream car, and have it get messed up with rock chips, and have to baby it all the time.

Drive the STi and you'll fall in love with it too. Don't let me discourage anyone from getting one. It is a pleasure to drive. I bet if you test drove the STi you would want one no matter what I said. It's that great.

Test drive both to make your decision :-)

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 701
Oh and I'm pretty sure the ZTi is just a photochop

Bronze Member
Username: Sweatyogre

Erie, PA USA

Post Number: 76
I'd personally go with an STi any day, pretty much for the last thing you said about it. I've seen them burn the f*ck out, all four tires, and it's sick. I've seen them do wicked donuts, too.

Bronze Member

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 72
wow this turned into a car discussion instead hahah ;) awesome. I was going to get the evo 9 but I hear that the RS is actually the one that people have been using to upgrade. It is lighter, and therefore faster, than the 9 but I think it weighs the same as the MR.

Are you serious that they void the warantee if I replace stereo stuff? I wasn't going to change the alternator, but I did want to add at least 1000 watts of power into the back. I'll have to ask them before I buy. ew.

my buddy is also getting an Evo pretty soon and he mentioned a company in Ohio (?) that would do a stage 1, 2, and 3 upgrade for around 3 grand which included a flash, exaust, bigger turbo, weight reduction, ect ect and would push the car into a 0-60 in 3.5 second range. I have the website on my home computer so I may post the link later.

Like I said, I'll be getting this badboy soon, maybe not too soon, but soon enough. I am flying out for my job interview on May 11th - May 12th (oklahoma) so wish me the best. If I get the job, the evo WILL be mine (mwa ha ha)

OR! should I wait for the evo 10? Gotta love that Ferrarri style paddle shifting!!! :-)

and please, no STI / EVO comparisons. Everone knows that an upgraded evo smokes the sti every time ;) lmao

and Young, I'm going basic HU I will probably end up adding video monitors in the headrests and in front somewhere. we'll see.

off to school. take it easy, guys!
-G

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 703
I hate paddle shifting, sticks are the only way to go. My uncle has a Ferrari Challenge Stradale, and it's a paddle shift, I haven't driven it yet (he lives in chicago) but I was crushed when I heard it was a paddle shifter and not a stick. :-(

Yes I was serious about the warranty. Call a dealer and verify for sure what will void it, but my friend with the Evo said that ANYTHING will void it. :-( You won't be able to run 1000 watts very well, and you don't want your HID's dimming with the bass hits. I wouldn't expect to run more than 600 watts off the stock electrical system, and thats with a yellow top and with taking breaks after a few songs... The upgraded stock system is 315 watts infinity, which sounds awesome, and doesn't seem to dim the lights at all, so I know you will be able to run at least that...

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 704
Post a link to that tuner site in Ohio, because it sounds fishy to me, it would cost a lot more than 3 grand if they were upgrading the turbo and intake/exhaust, weight reduction, and ECU.

Bronze Member

Carbondale, IL USA

Post Number: 73
hey -- but paddle shifting is faster. no clutch to deal with, and just a flick of the wrist instead of having to shift. given, shifting doesn't take much time, but if I can get away with just a little flick of the stearing wheel, then that's better ;)

here's the site:
http://www.buschurracing.com/

they do decent upgrades but the installation cost is going to kill ya...

stages 1-5 runs about 6 grand and puts nearly 400 horsepower to the wheels, and this is without replacing the factory turbo. not a bad deal.

-G

Silver Member

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 706
The only way I would EVER want a paddle shifter is if I had over 1000 horsepower, like the Veyron. Other than that, sticks are the only way to go. I drove the Viper SRT-10 6 speed, 500 horsepower and it was easy as hell to manage. It was the easiest stick I ever drove, and an absolute blast to drive. It wouldn't have been that cool if it was a paddle shifter...

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2244
man get a friggan ascendant audio hAvoc subwoofer...only 35 pounds....LOUD and man it has great SQ, IMO sounds as good as the w3
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us