Ported vs. Enclosed

Bronze Member
Username: Kicker101

Alberta

Post Number: 41
I know its an on going battle but wich is better???
i have a 12" 800wtt clarion and its in a big ported box and it pounds and shakes and rattles and sounds great.. Its sounds better than my 2 12" jl's in an enclosed box ... So which do you think is better???? Heres my boxes PORTED VS> ENCLOSED!!!! Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 437
ported=spl enclosed= SQ so you figure it out

Username: Gravestream

Post Number: 2
The guy above is wrong about that, It depends a lot on the vehicle. Anything with an open cab I.E. suv's hatchbacks trucks, sound better with ported boxes because their is no air restriction, In a trunk your better off sealed. Bandpass boxes just suck, and are really just designed for looks. If those JL's were in a ported box you've find out shortly why JL makes better subs the Clarion.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5649
agreed^

Username: Yayo

Post Number: 6
thanks for that

Bronze Member
Username: Ton

Post Number: 59
i always tought it otherwise, that ported boxes are better with trunk cars because trunk are more seal so difficult that the bass come into the cabin and because ported are louder it will sound be better. and sealed boxes are better with hatchbacks, SUV's etc. mmmm something new for me.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7433
take a read

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/ ......

Silver Member
Username: John_wash

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 231
so u guys are telling me that all this time i've be tryna design a good ported box that there really is no use because im putting it in a trunk of a car.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5682
no ported boxes in trunks are fine.

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 473
i wasn't talking about ported or sealed in hatchback or whatever, i'm just saying the difference between sealed and ported boxes.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5684
I kn ow Julio but if a ported box is tuned close enough to the FS of the sub it has more control then in a sealed enclosure therefore retaining better sq in ported then that of sealed. the higher you tune the enclosure the more you steer away from sq and more toward spl.

Silver Member

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 232
whats a good tuning freq. where i can hit high notes well and the lows well also

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5690
what sub do you have?

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 7442
like James just said in his above post - look @ the spec sheet of ur sub & tune just above the Fs , ex if Fs = 28hz then u can do 30 or even up to 34/35hz but u will lose alot of SQ & it will sound boomy ,personally i like around 32/33hz its IMO a nice balance of SQ & SPL depending on it the sub though .....

Silver Member

Nashville, Tennessee

Post Number: 233
kicker cvr15 freq=20.8

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5692
so anything tuned from 25-32 would sound nice with that sub
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums