15 Brahma or JL Audio 13w7

Username: Lexboy

Post Number: 1
I have a 95 Lexus coupe and was thinking about going with 2 Adire Brahma 15's running off 2 Xtant 1001 amps or 2 JL Audio 13w7 running off 2 JL Audio 1000/1 amps. Which system will hit the hardest and have the best SQ? I've also heard alot about these RE X-X-X subs are they louder than the Brahma's and w7s? Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 90
wow...thats quite the investment there hehe i would personally go with the 2 brahmas with the 2 jl audio amps, and run the brahmas in series to get 4 ohms per speaker, and since the 1000/1 has 1000wrms at 1.5-4ohms, its all good

thats my 2 cents, i would go with the brahmas in sealed boxes with the 1000/1 amps

you have great taste in audio too :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 79
My Perfect car Audio Setup would be 8 15" Resonant Engineering X-x-X Subs all in ported boxes tuned to their optimum ported frequencies runnin off a A6000Gti Jbl/Crown Amplifier(8110 Watts RMS x 1 channel at 4 ohms,
14.4V supply and < 1%THD+N) and for highs and mids I'd have either MB Quart or Diamond Hex components ran by Zapco amps He He.

Silver Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 998
the RE subs you mentioned are designed strictly for SPL, and not meant as daily driver subs.
not at all designed for SQ.

The Brahmas are 12" subs.
The Tempests are Adire's 15" models.

I'd opt for the 13W7s myself. terrific Xmax, great SPL, they look great, and have very very good SQ as well. Great all around subs, they hit hard as you need, and they work well for a SQ system as well. Good combination.

Post Number: 2
I didn't think the RE X-X-X subs would fit in my car anyway. So are you saying that the JL Audio 1000/1 amp is better than the Xtant 1001X amp? I also wanted to ask Glasswolf a question. Since a Class D amp is more efficient and they say it draws less current then a regular amp do I need to do anything to my car's electrical system? Like a bigger alternator or anything? Is it also true that with a Class D amplifier you don't need a capacitor?

Post Number: 3
According to Adire's website they do have a 15 inch available in the Brahma.

http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/brahma_series.htm

Bronze Member

Post Number: 96
yes i know for a fact brahmas come in 15" as well as 10 and 12 inches too...like i said before, i would got with the two 1000/1 amps and the two 15" brahmas, i love brahmas

Bronze Member
Username: Hydro

Post Number: 83
Hey Glasswolf u have to remember most people wanna hear you coming a mile away not hear how good Kurt Cobain's Vocals are in Teen Spirit thats what the highs and mids are for.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 99
yeah um hydro dont say that crap to GW, his computer might say something you may not like lol sooooo just go with the 2 15's and get some dynomat for ur car and no not most people wanna hear you coming down the street, only you want to show off you sound system.......if you want to do that, go to a dB drag and lose horribly to anyone else that goes with like 6 w7's, or orion X2's or some RE X-X-X subs with like 20,000watts powering everything....

do that if you want to show off your sound system

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1008
heheh yeah my computer has a bad temper.

Anyway, yeah I think the JL amps are better than Xtant.
If you want high end amps, go with JL, US Amps, Zapco, McIntosh, or Sinfoni. Any one of these companies will give you a fantastic amplifier (and a depleted bank account.)

As for class-D amps. they are about 80% efficient, which means a "1000 watt RMS" class-D amplifier will draw about 100A of current. (83.3A + 20% for inefficiency)
Class-AB amplifiers are about 50-60% efficient which is why they tend to run hotter than a class D, but you want a class-AB for mids/highs since the sound quality is magnitudes better than any class-D.
Class-D amps are used only for subs because subs mask the lack of sound quality.

You'll still need a high output alternator, and you still don't ever "need" a capacitor.

here are some helpful articles I've written:
amplifier classes explained:
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=35.topic
charging systems and alternators:
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=23.topic
capacitors explained:
http://pub14.ezboard.com/fcaraudiotalkfrm27.showMessage?topicID=10.topic

Post Number: 6
Thanks for all the great info I really appreciate it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us