LPF Question ?

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 663
On my amp I have my lowpass filter, and its range is 40 to 240 I have it on and set around 150~200 .

My question is sould I just turn off my LPF because I have a 860 Premier HU and it has all the filters and gain control built in .

On that note would it be ok to crank my gain on my amp and control my amp Via my HU ?

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1626
i always like to just use the HU crossovers and filters. nothing wrong with ones on most amps, but don't use both, you can sometimes get weird interference.

i don't know anything about HU gain controls though...

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 663
Shouldn't you have the LPF set around 80-100 on the high side. Setting that high sets the sound stage off and draws too much attention to the rear. JMHO...Polo. :-)

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 665
What do you mean polo?

Gold Member
Username: Pelona

California

Post Number: 1117
cuz bass above 80hz is not omnidirectional which means that u dont know where its coming from

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 824
damn pelon...i didnt know u could talk like that yo...lol....:-)

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1118
fu ck u nester! somebody always talks sh!t when i say somthing smart

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 825
hahahah....thats cuz we know u for talkin sh!t..:-)

Gold Member

California

Post Number: 1119
ya i talk sh!t but i give alota advice too

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5482
set it somewhere between 60-100 hz. You want to cut it off at the same point you cut your mids/highs off so you have no overlap or gap. It doesnt matter which x-over you use try turning your amp x-over t0 80 hz and you hu x-over off and then vice/versa and see which one sounds better.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 669
^^ I'll try that ^^

"bass above 80hz is not omnidirectional"

That confused me more.

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3426
my LPF is set at 85hz and the HPF is set at 95hz. its blends well for me like that.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3415
For a flater response try setting it like this:

HPF / 12db @ 80-125hz

LPF / 18db or 24db @ 60-100hz

Try that and see how it sounds. It should blend in better this way.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3436
MO....if i set the slope to 24db for my subs, it just doesn't seem to break through the backseat well.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3416
Are you using the HU or Amp. Which HU and AMP are you working with ?

Usually 24db slope is steeper and suits SQ setups better. The bass will hit tighter and sharper at this slope so you may experience lesser drag on the heavy bass notes.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3438
i am using the xover on the amp. my hu doesn't have the option to change the slope. its a pioneer avh-p5700dvd. i am thinking of buying an audiocontrol crossover so i don't have to use the xover option on neither of the two.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3418
That may be a great idea Chad.

Set your HPF to 12db @ 80hz-125hz

LPF to 18db @ 80hz

Is that what you have it set to now ?

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 670
I have been messing with this all day among other things..

I have come to a conclusion I just turned of my filter totaly on my amp and my HU is at 85hz to 100hz I change is acording to the song.

I need a new amp I think because my LPF only goes down to 40hz it does not seem to hit the low low's.

Would a better amp fix that?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3419
Amp is not the problem in your case. You should have your LPF crossed over at 60hz at the lowest and 100hz at the highest.

What size subwoofer do you have ?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3420
15" subs - 60-70hz

12" subs - 80-90hz

10" subs - 90-100hz

It can differ with each subwoofer and vehicle.

I personally prefer 18db or 24 Db @ 80hz for my LPF

and

12db @ 80hz-100hz for my mids depending on the track.

Silver Member

U.S.A

Post Number: 673
I have 2 12" R's.

When I turn on my LPF on my amp it just gets quiet compared to when its off completely.
By quiet I mean looses bass and doesnt sound as good.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5502
are you sure you are setting your lpf and not your subsonic filter? I have my jl12w6v2 cut off at 100 and my a/d/s' cut off at 100 also so it blends nicely.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3444
well james in your case you got some nice comps thats why they blend well. of course your cut off points are good too.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 668
What's everyone got there subsonic filter set at? I got mine at I think 18 or 20hz, my LPF is set at 75hz for Thug music and 100hz for techno/dance sh!t. My amp has presets so I can switch between then for different types of music. Polo.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 3446
hey polo, you have that remote control for you sx amp? that thing is so cool. you never have to go to your amp to change anything.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2185
why is my LPF set on 50hz??
acutally nothing on my amp is set much, well set, but not tweaked :-) I know I can get it way louder and lower... but xover @ 50hz, she brings the pain!!!

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 672
It just tell us B you just a bass head, lol. Chad, Ya I got it, just fricken awesome, best amp I have ever had, even old school! I never go into my trunk, ever, can't fit groceries in there anyways, lol..Polo. :-O

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 673
Oh B, one other thing, if you are having problems with rattles in the back (Pontiac problem) remove the thrid brake light and the deck cover material, try it huge difference. Getting rid of thems damn rattles will allow the higher frequencies to sound so nice. Polo..:-)

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2203
I have to take a entire day, to actually solve my rattling... :-) I must say, the bass is so loud, I cant hear a rattle... Unless the bass stops, the car will still rattle for a few micro seconds :-)

Ill diffrently remove the entire back deck, too see WTF.. Lol :-)

On the outside its however a diffrent story... lol
my trunk is broke in 2 places (bragg area) Those places rattle like a snake!! My tag I have to glue sponge or foam behind it! I need enough stuff to deaden the entire car, trunks, floors, roof.... Sometime I can get vibration in the dashboard between the firewall... Thats when Im really hittin...

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 2204
Polo, If i had any highs I would then have need for a crossover... LOL Been going straight Bass for 2 months now... << its funny... I miss my highs.. :-(
I cant imagine my system when I get my highs, it would prob make someone run!! Just the preception :-) cause just the bass right now is extremely outrageous!

People callin police on me and stuff.. :-(
Some people gets so mad, its like I pissed them off their entire day!! MENACE :-)

2 days ago I heard my boi R coming for about 3 mins LITERALLY!! we kept waiting..... b4 we seen the truck.....
I was like WTF, man thats crazy, its insane... He only had the drivers window down... :-)
Man I got alot of stories... LOL

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 676
Sh!t you should come here, I have an I-pod, with a Belkin TunerII rigged to a .5 watt amplifier. I can broadcast to everyone withing a 100 yard+ radius (through cell ant on window) and we could all bump at the same time, really mess with people driving down the block! :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us