Anyone install a HU in stock 1998 civic cd bay?

Username: Goldenmassai

Post Number: 1
Anyone ever install a HU in stock 1998 civic cd bay? I don't mean the am/fm radio, I mean the optional cd or tape bay just above the cup holder. Is this a stadard DIN opening & is a kit needed?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3402
This might help you:

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/PDF/466013.pdf

Post Number: 2
Thats a good link but I'd like to know if anyoune has done an install on the LOWER part of the console (see pic)
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1574
get the mounting sleeve out, cut out that tray so the mounting sleeve fits snuggly.
unhook everything from the stock unit except for power, Accessory and ground so the stock unit will still power on and show the clock, just won't do anything else.
pull down/extend the speaker wires for the aftermarket unit unless you are externally amplifying them.
also pull down/extend the antenna lead and antenna wire.
run you new constant, ground and accessory wires.
and you should be good to go.

Post Number: 4
I don't have a tray in that location, I have the stock cd player. Can
I use any of that wiring (power) on the aftermarket deck? I'm not
using any of the stock speakers. This is a stealth install so I'd
actually like to leave the stock radio working with the stock speakers
for valet parking guys and that type of thing :-)

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1578
is that not a picture of your actual car then?? theres a tray in that picture, lol.

if you wanted to run both HU's, then you'd need some sort of switch box to flip back and forth between the two. Glasswolf has mentioned what you will need before, but i can't remember what it is. might try and ask him about it.

Post Number: 5
Ok you got me, actually its not a pic. of my car (too lazy to go ouside and take one-thats just some google image) I don't think I'd need a switch box because it'd be 2 separate systems. I'm going to use just the preamp outs on the aftermarket deck to amps which will power speakers in kickpanel pods and subs. The stock deck will still function and power the stock door speakers. Thanx for the Glasswolf tips though.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2795
Won't the shifter get in way of the lower head unit location?

Post Number: 6
OK I got my butt off the couch and took a pic of "my" car (pretty dirty at the moment, sorry) so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about. You can see the optional "stock" cd player in the lower console (I want to swap just this for an aftermarket deck). The upper radio controls this unit and am/fm functions (I want to leave this alone).
Upload

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1588
so your gonna leave the stock system in place and add an aftermarket system in there too?? weird, but i don't see why you couldn't do it, as long as everythings seperate.

you'd have to run all new wires for the aftermarket unit. couldn't use the radio on the aftermarket unit though. don't think you can splice the Antenna plug. i don't know if you'd get any kind of inteference.

Post Number: 8
I didn't think about having to split the antenna, thats one i'll have to work on. Whats the best place to splice so I can run the power,aux power, & ground to the new deck? Should I go stright from the fuse box or off the stock deck?

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1591
i'd go to the fuse box, i wouldn't splice into the wires going to the stock deck. i don't know what kind of interference, if any, you might get. keeping everything as seperate as possible will decrease the chances.

Username: Ventil8

Post Number: 1
If the stock CD player works, I'd like to purchase it from you... let me know. Shoot me an email at hand***wr@slu.ed***u

Remove asterics *** (preventing spam)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us