Big system on small alternator

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 793
i want to explain to my buddy what will happen with somtn like 1000rms on a stock alt...

whats everything that will happen..like his car blowing up...lol

Silver Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 180
i have right now 1200 watts rms on two audiobahns and i just dim alot but i put a legacy(yeas legacy cuz i was low on cash) and now zero dimming and its a 3.2 farad it cost me 69 and with wiring and man it was great just the brand name is the bad thing

Bronze Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 85
with 1000RMS, not much more then a little dimming. Get a good battery, like a optima redtop or yellowtop. that solved the problem for me. You definetly dont want to just leave that problem be without upgrading tho. Your friend WILL screw up the alternator. And contrary to popular belief rob, putting a cap makes the problem even worse. Yes it reduces the dimming, but all its doing is masking the problem, not fixing it. A cap is just another drain on the alt. which is already being overworked. And finally, legacy is crap. a decent 1.5 farad cap cost more then that.

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 191
i know dude that legacy is crap but i was low on cash and the legacy worked just like the stinger cap and better so i stayed with the legacy and sold the stinger and yeah a batterie is way better than a cap and dennis the cap make the electrical system run more than is supposed to do and dude i know all this stuff i just said i put the legacy cap on solve my problem and is not 1.5 is 3.2 and im very happy with it but yes i suggest a optima yellow top rather than a cap but is more expensive my cap cost me 69 bucks

Silver Member
Username: Six

Flint, MI U.S.A.

Post Number: 470
Sorry but Dennis is right. You basically paid $69 to kill your alt even faster.

Silver Member

Post Number: 794
er.....dudes whatll happen is u wont have enough amperage for ur amp and itll clip and blow ur subs and cause a whole lotta sh!t to happen

i was just looking how to put it into words

BTW:stock alts are usually 80-100A

Gold Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 1072
"the cap make the electrical system run more than is supposed to do"

Don't work that way my buddy......Like Dennis said, it only masks the problem, it don't fix it. And, he was referring that a 1.5 farad cap costs a lot more than $69, which means that 3.2 farad cap is junk. Anyways, ALL caps are junk.

Nester, if he put a big system on his alt, then he is just going to fry it. Might not seem too bad if he is just driving with no accessories on. But the minute he turns on his heater, defrost, lights, etc, there's going to be a HUGE drain on his alt. However, it all depends on how big his stock alt really is, and if the 1000wrms is actually 1000wrms

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 196
dude i got the hifonics 1600d hifonics is underated so im giving around 1200 and dude trust me i know wat clipping means and i turn the amp 3/4 and in the night i put lights heater(cuz chicago is damn cold, defroster)and nothing is still dim but only alitle bit i made this set up 2 years ago my new set up will be a precicion dcx1500.1 jl componets a new alt clarion touchscreen receiver and this is my stuff that i already have
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/210823.html

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1078
"dude i got the hifonics 1600d hifonics is underated so im giving around 1200"

Wrong again........Hifonics is overrated. They only put out approx. 70% or so of the power they say they put out

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 203
yeah thats i was telling i put underated instead overrated can u see i put 1200 and the amp is supposed to push 1600

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 204
man calm down dude do your mom hit you or you have problems at home just relax bro nobody is perfect

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1079
Not trying to start anything man, sorry if I'm snappy.........Huge problem tonight with family thats all

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 207
allright dude just let them talk to the hand

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1081
wish it was that easy, I believe everything is settled now tho....I was caught right in the middle of everything, not an easy situation

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 211
well just tell you best friend to make a fake kidnapping and when its over ur family will forget about that(they will also craq their pants when they find u are kidnapped ) jajaj

alright dude see you later and good look wit the family

Silver Member

Post Number: 795
its nice to see people can calm themselves like u all just did.....i wish the world was the same way

Silver Member

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 218
cmon man the way u said that sounds ggg-aa-yyyy
but people need to calm down thats fo sho

Silver Member

Post Number: 797
lol....i really dont care how i sound over the net

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 262
i got a audiobahn a18001dt that claims to push 1200 and i have a 1.5 farad cap on my stock alt and a wal-mart batt, you are all saying this is a bad thing? what is a cheap way to help this problem? i am trying to get an extra batt to put in the back of my suv next to the amp, this should help a lot right?

Bronze Member
Username: Jeffless600

Post Number: 61
I have a Hifonics 1500d coming to push my Orioh 12" H2 on my stock alt. Unless u constantly BLARE your stereo and have all your lights etc. running. Your stock all, as long as your car is solid..will be alright, i think. I like to use this as a benchmark.. My friend has a 2000 Civic Hatchback with a 1.2 or somthin litre engine and 90hp..so obviously small Alternator. Hes running a JL AUDIO 1000/1 and a 12" W7. His lights dim, thats about it.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6296
U guys do realize that u are killing ur stock alt.lol

But Jeff made a good point as long as u dont blast ur system the amp will not draw that much current from ur stock alt, but u are still killing ur alt, when u go to turn on ur car one day and it will not turn on then dont go "Man I should have got that Ho alt""lol

http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/capacitors.html
http://wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

Silver Member
Username: Texas_bass

Houston, TX

Post Number: 313
Im running a hifonics 2005d amp and a rfr 12"
its putting 650rms @ 4 ohms should i worry about or not till i get a new speakers wich requires the extra rms

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6300
650 rms should be fine..Its just some people up there^^are gonna kill there alt, running 1200+rms on a stock alt is just stupid

Bronze Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 86
I luv how these forums go from subs then into cat fights, then into sorry's and back into car audio. lol. This is my setup guys. Its what I use as a good benchmark. Stock alt. 2 Cerwin Vega V-MAX 10 in a ported enclosure, 0 guage wire from the batt to the amp., 4 100 watt RMS 2-way speakers, 1 Optima red-top battery, and finally, my last name-sake the McIntosh MC4000M 6 channel 1000 watt amp pushing every speaker and sub. With everything on including heat, defrost, lights (w/ high beams) and even wipers, i get a tiny very faint dim after about 20 min of high play while in park. I am buying a better alt. soon but i figure nobody wants to buy a used alt. anyway, so might as well push this one till it dies.

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 1083
^^you'll regret that when you come out of the mall or something and your car doesn't start, then you have to pay a tow truck to bring you to a garage, plus the cost of a new alt. Too late to say I wish I would have gotten that new alt!! haha

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11406
http://www.bcae1.com/capacitr.htm
http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/capacitors.html
http://www.glasswolf.net/caraudio/charging.html
http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/newmain/battcapalt/
http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm
http://www.bcae1.com/chargin2.htm
http://www.glasswolf.netS/caraudio/batteries.html
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 572
A cap does nothing more than store power to be released very quickly, it will not cause your system to fail or be more of a burdon on your alt than the system you are already running. I do agree it kinda masks the problem but not really because regardless of how many caps you are running the voltage will continue to be the same, just won't fluxuate as much. Better off in the long run to just do the upgrades and be done with it. Polo.. :-O

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 263
i am 16 and do not have a job right now (prolly after spring break though) what would you do in my situation(1200w amp, 80/100w xenon lights off stock alt)? i still have my first car which i do not want to put too much money into because i want to get a better one soon as possible. i found a refurb. 130 amp alt on ebay for $75, would this be worth the money? i think my stock alt is around 80-90 amp. oh and my grandpa just found me a good battery that used to be in his old diesel truck, i plan on using this as a battery bank, would this prolong the life of my alt?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4741
In my opinion if your going to not upgrade your stock alternator then you should do the math on what you can safely run without upgrading. Lets face it most people dont upgrade the alternator because of the cost so I say be realistic and buy your amplifiers accordindly after all you can get loud and do it right without mega watts of amplifier power and sound great sq wise too. Do your homework and youll be rewarded youll pay one way or the other in my opinion your time or your money its up to you to choose.

Silver Member
Username: Rustysurfer916

Oviedo, FL

Post Number: 128
ok i wanna run 3 1600 watt hifonic amps. now where would i get an alternator. and would i need more than one yellow top which i already have?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 2073
matt
www.excessiveamperage.com.
yea sean is right
and SW9152, i would get the 130 cause u are killing ur electrical FAST.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11418
I suggest if you have no job and you're in school, stay in school and forget about car audio for now.
or get a job.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6339
^^YEP, its not cheap at all

AND SEAN is back

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 854
Polo, that's incorrect. When the capacitor, or any battery for that matter depletes, it's going to be drawing from the alternator to recharge itself, thus putting more load on the alternator.

Silver Member
Username: Goatin

U.S.A

Post Number: 620
Is it ok to have a little alt wineing ?
Sometimes when I crank my system for 15 or 20 minutes my alt will wine for a minute .
Would a optima battery help me?

Bronze Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Post Number: 11
http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26227 great article on why caps are usless. check it out.

Username: Bigboomxpand

Timmins, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 6
Hi I dont know to much about car audio.
I just upgraded my 12" xplode to 2 12" crankensteins .
Im running this on a stock alt not sure of the power but its a car ..
Should I buy a bigger battery?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4742
In my opinion there just is no better choice then to make an alternator upgrade your first choice over h.o. batteries and caps if you have to upgrade your electrical system. Think of it this way when do you play your car stereo the most? When you drive right? Then wouldnt it make sense to have the most charging power at idle to maintain high voltage ratings and even better chances while driving beyond idle rpm's? We all know the more voltage we loose the less power we put out from our amplifier hence amps x volts = watts. We also dont want to forget a weak alternator puts alot of stress on the next thing in line THE BATTERY so it stands to reason the battery is loosing life right along with your poor alternator when things arent done right. A battery upgrade or cap (if you hold respect for using caps) should come second or third in my opinion. When considering a car audio system this is just part of the decision making that needs to be done but other areas I feel should be thought about potentially are is this car worth investing in these parts for my car audio system or should I wait on making some purchases and save my money until then new car is bought? The is a reason I believe some may not be willing to buy a expensive H.O. alternator as well. Just remember if your gonna do something do it right youll be much happier if you do.

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 626
what he said

Timmins, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 7
Thanks alote guy ...I think im gonna buy a cap

Gold Member

Post Number: 4750
Im generally not a huge fan of caps when done as the sole upgrade unless your on a budget maybe and all you want to do is stand better chances doing a single frequency spl burp but even after the first burp the gain of your cap is over unless given sufficient time to recharge.....ive seen a guy with 6 farads of cap on one audiobahn 1800 watt amplifier still drop easily below 12 volts with no more than a average twist of volume....because the alternator wasnt big enough....youll find out it isnt the magical fix if your in the same boat except youll spend alot of money that could have went on the alternator upgrade

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 861
Yep, caps are just basically throwing your money away. If you just mail me your money, I'll be saving you a paperweight and save load from your alternator! How great of a deal is that!

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 452
Luc Daigle you missed the whole point.. Caps suck, they won't help you. H.O. Alt is the first thing to upgrade, then a new battery, and if you already have BOTH of those, you can consider a cap...

Timmins, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 8
Then I should wait until I get a different vehicle because mine is not worth upgrading so till then my alt is gonna have to take it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us