My system, any suggestions?

Anonymous

I'm planning on getting an Alpine 9815 head unit and have been looking at jl audio amps and dual 10's or 12's from them. I also plan on getting the nicer mb quart component systems. My options for the component systems are 6 3/4", 6 1/2" or 5 1/4" setups. I am looking to have excellent sound in all aspects. I was wondering if any of these selections would give me better midrange and treble while still allowing me to have some kickin' bass.

Anonymous

Oh yeah I've also been looking at audiobahn 12's, what are the advantages each company offers. THanks in advance for the help.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2215
Alpine 9815 - great head unit
JL amps and subs - fantastic choice
MB Quart components - great taste
go with the 6.5" or 6.75" sets. better midbass response to roll off to the subs for full coverage across the frequency spectrum

I'd avoid audiobahn.
if you want alternatives to JL, look at Zapco for amplifiers (www.zapco.com) and Eclipse for subs (www.eclipse-web.com) and Eclipse for head units as well, just as an alternative if desired.

Anonymous

thanks man!

Anonymous

oh yeah one more thing...I was talking to one of my friends, who, I think knows what he is talking about, but I'm not sure so I thought I'd get a back up source on this. My car is a Jetta so my alternator is most likely pretty small and he was saying that I should probably go for a class D amp rather than the 1000/1 amps I was looking at because the class D's are more efficient. Is what he says correct, or does it really matter?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2552
class D are about 80% efficient
class AB have far less distortion, and better SQ, but are only about 65% efficient, so to produce the same 1Kwatt of power, the class AB will draw more current, and more will be lost to heat.

your stock alternator is most likely between 70-90A

The JL 1000/1 will draw a good 130-140A probably, at full output, IF you plan to turn it ALL the way up for sustained periods.
remember, every time you double the volume (to your ears) that's ten times the power the amp needs to produce (+10dB is twice the audible sound level and 10x the power) so, at a quarter of full volume from a "1000 watt amp" you're only using 1/100th of the amp's full power on average, and not tossing in the inefficiency factor.

Anyway end result is, 1Kwatt regardless of the amp class is probably going to mean spending $200-300 on a new high output alternator, maybe in the 150-200A range.
That will also be the best thing you could do for the system.. a HO alternator is an amazing improvement to system performance.

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 522
www.mralternators.com

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2591
no s, I believe.
mralternator.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums