Viper 790 Remote Start Issue

Silver Member
Username: Tafkam

Texas

Post Number: 198
Hi, I have a 99 Blazer and also the Viper 790 remote start/alarm. Everything worked fine until a few days ago and I cannot think of anything I changed or did other than replace the battery in my remote, which should not affect anything.

When I try to remote start now, it cranks but does not start; after 3 tries it quits.

If the car is running and I do the procedure to keep it running and then get out of the car, it will keep running but shuts off after about 10 seconds. Then it tries to restart, but can't.

Any ideas? I am thinking defective unit but heck I dunno, maybe a loose wire? I hesitate to check for the loose wire unless I know that may be it because the "brain" is burried deep under the dash and I would have to unhook a bunch of stuff to get it to.

Oh, yes, I made the mistake of buying this at Circuit City who, of course, is no longer a supplier or installer of Viper alarms.

Bronze Member
Username: Ruthless06

Post Number: 54
it could be a lottttt of things.

if your tachometer wire hooked up to either a fuel injector or the ecm came unhooked then that will cause it to crank and die.

if whatever was used to bypass the passlock II lost memory that could cause it.

thats all i can think of now... if i find anything else ill let you know...

but check those two, to learn tach just find your valet switch, start the car, hold the valet switch within 5 second of start until the LED indicator illuminates non stop. then cut the ignition key off and try it, if thats not it it might be the immobilizer, and if your not familiar with that I would talk to someone at a local shop.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 202
Thanks Ruthless, I don't think they bothered to hook up the valet switch at any rate I can't find it.

I kind of was leaning towards the passlock bypass myself, makes sense with what it is doing (or not doing). I am no expert with these things but I guess I should at least take the dash apart and see if any wires came loose, I do drive on some very bumpy roads. If everything looks good from there then I guess I better find a dealer. As I said before Circ City put this in a few years ago and they no longer carry them, so much for the lifetime warranty!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
The circuit citys around where I work still installs and works with directed products... I would take it to another one and get them to look at it.

And now that I think of it, it is your tach wire being unhooked. Because I was working on a 97 Intrepid, and There was no factory grommet I could use to get to the engine bay from the inside so I ran tach around the outside of the car. Learned tach. And then remote started it, and unhooked it and then it cut off after about 5 seconds. So check under your hood at a fuel injector or around your ignition coil for a purple/white wire that may be unhooked.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 223
Will do, thanks. I got it installed at a CC in Dayton Ohio but now live in Shreveport area checked with both S-port and one in Texas and also the original one where I bought it and they no longer do work on the directed. Maybe when I go back to OH for a trip I can talk them into looking at it since they originally put it in. Will check that tach wire though, thanks for the tip

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 232
IT WORKS!!!!! I got under the dash and found that it was not as hard to get to as I thought, then I see that the valet switch is indeed there, (I thought they did not put it in).

Anyway, I check the install manual and did the procedure for "tach learning" and by gosh it fixed it. I have no idea why (the battery was not disconnected or anything prior to this) but I will not complain as long as it works.

Thanks again Ruthless for the great ideas, I would not have bothered to check anything if not for your advice!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
well congratulations, im glad it works.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 255
Well used it for about 5 days and now it is doing the same darn thing with the remote start. Any ideas? Just a bad brain? I am moving back to where I bought it from in a few months so I am planning on taking it back to the Circuit City and talking to the manager in case they dont carry the DEI stuff anymore but anybody got any ideas in the meantime?

Bronze Member
Username: Shepyjay

Ont Canada

Post Number: 96
you could take it too best buy they deal with directed as well and also could be an cold solder joint on one of the ign wires also make sure the tach wire is solder to white wire on coil.

Silver Member

Texas

Post Number: 267
Thanks Jay, sounds like it is to technical for me, I am going to take it somewhere, either where I bought it or one of the shops that actually supports these units, darn I thought I had it figured out but you sound right, something is loose, I just don't want to get into that because I don't want to go messing around in there to make things worse...

Thanks again for the advice, I appreciate it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us