24" Subs???????

Silver Member
Username: Jprix82

Post Number: 427
Check these out LOL

http://www.carstereo.com/classifieds/details.cfm?id=9696&caraudio=Kaminari%20Sou nd%20Made%20In%20USA%2024

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 388
audiobahn has one and so does re....i think they are making one

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 614
audiobahn has a 34 inch sub but i have never heard of RE with anything bigger than an 18

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksburg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 389
i saw the re thing somewhere on somewbsite an someone was like i cant belive re is going to do that....it was expensive too like 2000$ i think

Silver Member
Username: Johnnylemoine

LaPlace, Louisiana United States

Post Number: 615
ooo i remember, it has that XMX motor structure and it was i think like 9000 dollars and it was 18 inch and 24 inch. i even posted the price on that thread lol. i musta forgot. they need to update their site, it still has the old XXX

Bronze Member
Username: Highstone

Post Number: 38
mtx has their 22" jackhammer. but that thing is expensive.. it's between 6000 - 7000 dollars. oh and it weighs 350+ lbs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/redphoenix/subT9922_JackHammer_801.jpg
http://www.12volt.com/archives/2005/images/042605_images/5262.jpg
http://www.meganame.ru/uploads/1124560902_mtx_jackhammer.jpg

Silver Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 215
http://www.fordfestiva.com/gallery/steinleys/steinleys.htm

GOD DAMN

Silver Member
Username: Sw9152

Michigan

Post Number: 223
i don't think the audiobahn ever was sold to the public. i think clarion released a 32" though.

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 396
1 225 amp alternator from Wrangler $1250.00

wut a noob who pays 1250 for a 225 alt....or 1900 dollars for dynamat...idiot

Bronze Member
Username: Shepyjay

Ont Canada

Post Number: 86
rockford fosgate has an 40incher for cube vans made back in the 1980s

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 232
lol... look at this boat

http://www.rtaudio.com/install/installShowThunderBody.html

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Alabama

Post Number: 971
this is the biggest sub biiiiiitcheeeees!!!!!!!!
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1212
doesn't that 24" RE sub have 12" of excursion with the XMX Motor?

Silver Member

Michigan

Post Number: 234
holy sh!t wtf is that thing for??? lol... you could put it in a school bus

Bronze Member
Username: Rustysurfer916

Post Number: 13
that sub looks like a cheap peace of crap. not the bigass one above though. whats the specs on that peace.

Silver Member
Username: Fiber

Post Number: 101
LM@O thats rediculous.

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 6177
The 60-inch subwoofer absolutely has the capability to produce SPL levels well above 180 dB. It is simple math and the laws of physics.

Actually, before designing it, we looked at a comparison between a large number of conventional subwoofers, or a single giant one. After we did the math, the obvious choice was the one giant woofer. It's output displacement is comparable to 160+ ten inch woofers. It can move a lot of air!

The original idea for the giant subwoofer came about in 1994 when Doug Winker, Chris Lewis, and myself were investigating how to create the highest SPL levels, just for fun. The giant sub was the best performance option, but we didn't have the capability or finances to build it at the time. Anyway, that year was when Chris and Doug installed the dual compression drivers with the horn mouth right below the mic location against the windshield. Unfortunately, the horn system was "disqualified" by the head SPL judge because the rules said the competitor could not have any windows cracked open, and Chris' windshield was cracked. I guess it didn't make any difference that the rule was intended to ensure al the windows were rolled up, and there were no openings to the outside that could affect the SPL reading.

Anyway, the 60-inch sub came about in 1997 while I was working with RC and Dave in North Carolina. Tim Maynor wanted to build a new SPL vehicle, and wanted Autosound 2000's help. We looked at the different possibilities for woofer configurations, and with Dr. Eugene Patronis' help (from Georgia Tech), we designed and built the giant subwoofer in about a six week period.

Unfortunately, Tim and his crew didn't realize just how much acoustical power the sub could generate, and didn't build the vehicle to contain it appropriately. Even at less than 1/2 output, the doors were blown off the tracks, and the entire vehicle ballooned in and out several inches. The woofer was installed in the "bread truck" anyway, and it went to Finals not fully tested.

At the Finals in 1997, Alma protested the use of the computer used to control the energy fed to the subwoofer by the power supply, so RC had to try to do it by simply touching two cables together with no feedback, and hope that the energy level was correct when it was set off. As it turned out, it wasn't at the right level, and the speaker's motor simply drove the cone assembly too hard and too fast, and snapped part of the main conecting tube in half. But, it did do 162+ dB with a single positive stroke of the cone before it broke!

The woofer was updated with several modifications after that incident so that it won't have problems with breaking again.

A couple of facts about it...

The cone moves 6 inches peak to peak under full-tilt output.

The actual cone diameter is 54 inches, with the 3 inch wide surround on the outside of that. The radiating surface area is 2,290 square inches. That yields a one way displacement of 6,871 cubic inches. That is equivalent to the displacement of 161 ten inch woofers that move 1.5 inches peak to peak.

The motor is capable of producing 6,000+ pounds of linear force, which is necessary when considering the very large surface area and displacement volume required to produce high SPL levels.

The woofer was designed with the capability to produce SPL levels of 188 dB, which are entirely possible, given an appropriately built vehicle. It is simply a matter of displacement and containment.

It hasn't seen the light of the car audio industry since 1998 for several reasons. First is money... It isn't cheap to haul it around, and unless it would produce some significant return on investment... You get the idea. Basically, it would be a very high price to pay for some entertainment value and bragging rights.

Also, it would not be legal in competition by current rules because it isn't a typical production, commercially available product.

It is still one of my goals to bring it back out, and let it rip a huge SPL number. Maybe someday, it will prove what it can really do. But for now, only a few people have truly experienced its capabilities. It is outrageously loud, and can make you a sick to your stomach when it plays those very low frequencies.

For those that don't believe it can do what it can do, that's your choice. But, I can tell you that it was designed with strict attention paid to solid engineering principles and practices. Believe it or not, given the right vehicle design, structurally built to withstand the acoustical power of the giant woofer, it could easily produce SPL numbers in the high 180's.

It is one of the coolest things ever created in car audio. It's just too bad no major manufacturers recognize what it could do for their marketing efforts, with a little creative effort.

Oh well... Someday...

--------------------
Mark Eldridge
Mobile Soundstage Engineering
mblsound@aol.com
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Alabama

Post Number: 974
look how they use battery clamps instead of speaker wire on that thing.........

Silver Member
Username: Lewass

Boomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 316
Whatever thats nothing, if you got the $$$, they will make you a 30 FOOT sub!!! At Subway :-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us