Best speakers with no subs?

Bronze Member
Username: Luke5513

Post Number: 79
I just took the subs out of my car, what are the best speakers for a nice full sound, with on subs?
I was looking at components, but I don't know how they will sound with out bass. thanks!!

Nate So
Unregistered guest
If you get infinity reference 6x9's they handle bass relatively well... If you ever listen to rap with relatively low bass they will distort easily, so some sort of crossover is needed. Then I would get the reference component set (5 1/4" or 6 1/2" w/ sep tweeter). The bass does not pound anything like a sub but the 6x9's will do ok.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1114
you'll never get close to the bass output and frequency range subs will go with out subs, so don't expect too much. 6x9's will generally produce a little more bass then smaller speakers, but lack the SQ of a 5.25 or 6.5 component set. components will have more bass and handle more power, there for usually getting louder then a coaxial speaker.

the infinity kappa or reference components Nate reccomended are pretty good, can be harsh for some people though, just depends on tastes. best bet is to go listen to them.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5633
The only components I can think of that would provide you with decent low bass is the Morel Elate 9 3 way comps, the DLS Iridium 8.3 gets pretty low as well. These comps cost high enough that you can easily justify the cost of a sub and amp, though.

Username: Jeffless600

Post Number: 9
JL audio VR-690's properly amped with somthin like a JL 300/4 will make your bass buds say OOOO this is good!

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 404
Hey Nate, do you have a brother Bryan?

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 314
WHat kinda car you have? If it has a rear deck i'd try this. Get a decent comp set up front and then in the rear (if depth permits) i'd use some Tang Band 6.5s or 8in if possible. Get a decent amp on it and have fun!

Bronze Member
Username: Bkoz

Post Number: 17
Rockford Fosgates 6x9's are like mini subs these are better then infinity (i've had both).

Silver Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 948
Don't get the infinity's for bass. I love my Kappa's but even amped they lack the bass. But don't get me wrong, best speakers I have ever heard. I couldn't be more satisfied with them.

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 783
morel won't let you down in the bass dept. But a good pair of morel cost you!

Bronze Member
Username: Jeffless600

Post Number: 29
JL Audio VR-690's are almost like 2 10" subs when amped...ask anybody

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5758
If you had to, you could get something like two JL 6W0s and hang them from your package tray, if you have 6x9" slots you could make a small enclosure that would drop in place, they only need around .2 cu ft gross. It won't give you boom boom bass, but it'll be sufficient for a low powered system.

The Tang Band 6x9" and 6" subs could work as well.

None of them are highly inclined to IB. That's really strange to me saying pretty much the only way anyone would want a 6x9" subwoofer is to run it infinite baffle in a package tray. They are all lower Qts and could potentially give a relatively flat response IB, but they aren't going to be strong down low.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 3286
Glasswolf recommends the Alpine Type R 6x9's over the Infinity 6x9. Whats the best over 6x9 2 way coaxial for bass and rearfill ? Im looking for a set for my rearfill in a 95 montero on the side walls in the cargo area behind the rearseat. It will replace the factory locations.

Bronze Member
Username: Stavros

Post Number: 13
i went with morel elate 9- 3 ways used the 9" woofer as a sub in door works great the mids are in stock location Upload

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1975
lol dayum how did u fit a 9 inch speak in a door

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
the depth of the morels are just over 2" for the 9"

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5765
"i went with morel elate 9- 3 ways used the 9" woofer as a sub in door works great the mids are in stock location"

Sweeeeettt. How do they sound? :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5768
"lol dayum how did u fit a 9 inch speak in a door"

If I'm not mistaken that's a new Mustang, which has factory locations for 8" speakers/subs in the door to begin with.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
you are right, but the out side dimension was 9" so that is what i went with, the mids and high's are right on brings my music alive i am not done with the 9" it give a lot of deep base the thing looks like it is going to jump thru cover,the morel people in Isreal told me to give these 250rms all day to the woofers so i did and bi-amped the mids a tweets 150rms so each side is getting clean 400rms i think i hurt myself the first time i cranked up,my ear was tinging for 2 days
don't ask about the 4 jl's i got a good deal enough saidUpload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
i will show the carUpload

Username: Jimalex

Post Number: 3
I love my infinity reference speakers for listening to accoustical music and female singers. Clean sound and the music has good depth. The only ones I heard that were comparable for that music were McIntosh.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us