A little help with some choices if you don't mind.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1378
hey, i'm trying to decide on a new sub set up for my next system i'm working on. looking for mainly SQ so i will be using a sealed box. Power will be a Phoenix Gold Xenon 1200.1

i'm looking at either two 10 inch IDMAX or 2 10 Aresnals. 10's or 12's, idk.

i've heard great things about both, but i dont know if anyone has seen the videos on ROE of the IDMAX, but the surround "crinkles up" like the MTX9500's. this can't be good?? the Arsenals have a larger half roll surround, so they move smoothly.

other then the surround issue, both subs look pretty simular.

also, will there be a difference in SQ or anything if i run the subs at 4 ohms VS 2 or 1 ohm?? i've heard its better to run higher for SQ.

Also trying to decide between the:
Focal Polyglass 3 ways (ebay for $500)
or the DLS UP36 3 ways (Mobile SQ for $508)
or the DLS Iridium 3 ways (ebay for $567)

want some great SQ, but do like the sound of a Hard dome tweeter better. will be powered by a Phoenix Gold 100.2 (or 200.2, haven't gotten them yet, whichevers best). also kinda leaning towards the UP36 thats NOT on ebay...had a bad experience lately and kinda want everything to go smoothly here, lol.

what do you guys think?? i'm kinda stuck.

Thanks!!

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1381
Really want some info on the speakers, i want to order them like tomorrow, lol.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 447
well the DLS Iridiums are great, you know how or where you are going to mount the 3way setup? Install especially on a 3way comp set is vital. I don't think a PG 100.2 will properly run these though. As for the sub, any sub will look like the surround is rippling on video, especially slo mo, but the IDMAX is an incredible sub. I'd throw in the Stereo Integrity mag 12 too. I like it better than the AA's and edges out the IDMAX. IDMAX is better in smaller boxes but put the Mag in a recommended enclosure size and you won't complain.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1382
lol, i don't need any more choices thrown in there, that just makes it harder. MO said i'm looking into the rippling surround deal too much. i've never seen any complaints about that though, just good things all around about the IDMAX's. Never heard the SI Mag's and haven't really heard much about them. prob still gonna go with 2 IDMAX 10's, sealed.

and the 3 ways, i have Fiberglass kick panels made which hold the midrange and tweeter with the midbass in stock door location, all very close together. doors are dynamated well with midbass on MDF ring. i'm gonna have the kicks modified and recovered for whichever speakers i decide on.

just need to figure out which speakers to go with very soon. kinda pressed for time to get panels modified.

Jonathan?? lol

Kick pics. need to change speaker cloth on doors, that looks bad. you can also see how the JL's dont quite fit since they were made for the CDT's i had a while ago. dirty car, ignore the dirt, lol. drivers side isn't as bumpy as it looks in the pic either.

Upload
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5783
The surround is designed to dimple-it's done so that the surround doesn't fold over itself and cause huge mechanical problems. That's the only way you can make a tall surround work.

As for the speakers, do they have to be 3 way? I'll throw a recommendation in for the SEAS Lotus Reference components, guarantee you'll like them as much as any 3 way set out there. They're on mobilesq, too. To give you an idea, I like them as much if not slightly better than my Dynaudio System 360, which is saying A LOT. The aluminum dome on that one is excellent, too. Are you going to run your components passive or active?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5784
What about the XR 3 ways are you trying to improve on, basically? What don't you like?

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1383
thanks for the info on the surround Jonathan, think i'm gonna get the 2 IDMAX 10's, that should be good.

i like the 3 ways in my car better then 2 ways. think they sound better and also take up less space with the kick panels. its an accord, small car, and i'm rather tall too, so i need the foot room, lol. don't think i could go back to stock locations with tweeter mounted someplace on door panel or on A pillar after using kicks. sounds so much better.

if seas made 3 ways, i'd definally be looking into a set. the Dynaudio's won't fit in my doors so that kinda sucks. i'll be running passive as idk how to run 3 ways active. also, that would involve quite a bit of equiptment from what i understand. not experienced enough to try active i don't think.

not really trying to improve on the XR's, they are a great set of speakers, as much as i'm really just looking for a change. the XR's could be a little smoother though. also think the XR's would sound better if they fit as they should in the kick panels. in saying that, i think i'd be happier in the long run staying away from the Focals and going with soft domes.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5786
To me, Focals out of the box are like banging trash cans together. Not a fan of the Polyglass comps anyway. They need to be run active and they need tuning to sound natural, which is the case with nearly EVERYTHING Focal makes. Properly implemented they're great, just not quite my cup of tea.

I was about to say that SEAS makes those lovely 4" midrange drivers if you were willing to go active :-).

What you REALLY want is a set of Rainbow Audio Profi or Profi Vanadium 3 ways. The Profis would be to your taste. 4" midrange that will fill the slot of that XR midranges, and they'd be smoother overall with excellent clarity and detail, and the tweeters are sooo smooth and natural. Then you have that punchy kickbass driver-it'd be right up your alley. The drawback? They're incredibly hard to find. EXTREMELY hard to find in the states. Scour car audio forums and ebay and see if you can land a set, if you can, you'll be glad you did.
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/introduction.php?lan=2&pro=1
There's the site giving info about the speakers.

Another thing to note: You do realize that the DLS dome mids are going to be smaller than the XR midrange, right? It's going to take some modification to make them fit correctly.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5787
Another thing, this site:
http://www.speedsound.com/manuf.asp?manuf=58&pgNUM=2

has some Rainbow speakers. But I don't think they're still authorized, but they used to be the US retailer from what I remember. I don't know if it's an overstock type of deal or what. The models they seem to have don't appear to be the most recent, but they're basically the same drivers. Last time I checked they had an excellent rating with the BBB.

Gold Member
Username: Iufan4lifeul

Post Number: 1010
I have the 12" Arsenal's and they sound amazing and get really loud and deep. I would have to highly recommend them although I have never personally heard the ID's although some of my friends have so I just go based on their comments. Alteraudiousa, you are starting to really piss me off. Not everyone that is looking for a sub is going to buy your product. This isn't an advertise for your company forum. If you have a couple subs for sale post them for sale. Besides that don't recommend to EVERYONE how your subs are awesome.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1385
oh, believe me Jonathan, if i could get ahold of some Rainbows, i would get them no questions asked. i think i remember a guy on the forums at www.caraudio.com who could get Rainbow, i might post and see if i get any replies. the only thing that about the Rainbows will be the price.

i know the DLS's will require modification to the kick panels to get them to fit, thats not a problem.

Chris, Alteraudio doesn't sell Stereo Integrity. have you ever been to his website?? so hes not trying to sell anything. people will always suggest the products they have or want.

don't turn my thread into a stupid arguement, i'm trying to get some useful information and that just doesn't help.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1387
Found a Rainbow dealer on the forums at caraudio.com. Several people on there have reccomended him and have purchased from him.

Sent him a message about some Profi kicks or Profi Vanaduim Kicks.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 6591
Can i ask what made u choose PG amps if ur after 'ultimate SQ' - i know u had JL amps b4 & i thought JL were far better than PG....

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1388
well i was looking at Arc Audio amps, but can't get ahold of any. theres a dealer up north from me, but thats one crappy drive. i might still try to get up there though. i've always used JL and they are great, but i want a change. i've heard nothing bad about the Xenon amps, although i'm not settled on them. i really like their set up too since i might be glassing the trunk. having the settings on the top will really help with that.

going from JL to PG amps, yes, prob a little but of a down grade, but still good quality stuff. i think arc audio would be better then either, but idk. i'd rather run Arc amps though.

found a 1500 XXK on ebay for like $500, but can't find a matching 2 channel. i don't want to deal with individuals, stores are still iffy but better. don't want any more bad experiences on ebay.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5788
"Chris, Alteraudio doesn't sell Stereo Integrity. have you ever been to his website?? so hes not trying to sell anything. people will always suggest the products they have or want. "

He does, second hand anyway. *shrugs*

Check Elite Car Audio's for sale forums, too. Lots of good stuff sold there as well, you can at least post a "where to buy" (this forum doesn't allow the abbreviation for some reason) thread.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Post Number: 2260
Well, in your trip up north beware of cartunes. They do great work but will charge a mountain for an ant mound. Of course, if your not looking at installation, it won't make a difference.
You will be hard pressed to find an amp better than arc though. Although you won't hear the difference, it would be my personal amp of choice. My local install shop where I do all the work on my truck just picked up Arc and Bravox (dumped Tru and Audison).
http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/pdf/catalog06.pdf

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1389
the Arc audio amps look great. that PDF didn't have the XXK series in it though and thats the series i was looking at. although the KAR would work too. don't think i could get the "Foose" series, thats kinda odd. lol definally looking at arc still.

Audisons are crazy expencive. they managed to blow one up at hifi buys and the audison people got pissed saying theres no way you can blow one of their amps. lol, funny stuff.

i don't know of any cartunes in GA. i do most all my installation work myself though.

still waiting on reply from the guy about the Rainbows. someone else said he does have the Vanadiums in stock and his prices are better then on speedsound. hope they aren't too much more then i was looking at spending. i'm definally gonna get them if i can afford them, lol.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2261
That Foose line is just flat out corny imo. Chuck should be ashamed of himself.
What shop in north atlanta sells arc? Or did you mean north GA?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2262
I mean Chip, lol.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1390
well, Norcross, so north atlanta.

Precision Audio
5265 Jimmy Carter Blvd Ste 6238
Norcross, GA 30093
(404) 569-3549

i'm never anywhere near that area, and it can be a pretty crappy drive, lol. plus i know how shops jack up prices. don't know unless i go i guess.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5792
There is a guy on CAC that is still selling:

1 Arc 1500 XXK
240x2 @ 4 ohms, 450x2 @ 2 ohms, 900x1 @4 ohms bridged & 1,000x1 @2 ohms bridged

1 Arc 2500 XXK
270x2 @4 ohms, 525x2 @2 ohms, & 1,050x1 @4 ohms bridged

Dunno if you're interested, check it out. I just bought a 4150 XXK from him.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5793
The Foose line was created mainly because Arc is going to be the brand that's featured in cars on the show Overhaulin'. While corny, I'd rather have a corny Arc setup that performs excellently than some crappy system from Alphasonik or Kicker.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1392
yeah, i was looking at the 1500XXK and the 2100XXK. i think 270 will be too much for the Rainbows...then again, idk, never used them.

but i think i'd rather buy new, don't want to risk used stuff again. last time that didn't turn out too well.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5794
There isn't a such thing as too much power if you use it right :-)

A lot of his stuff is new, it's just that his shop is closing down and he has to sell it.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1393
lol, i just don't know about putting that much on them. they are expencive, i wouldn't want to screw them up. think the site says 180max. lol

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1399
Woo Hoo, i'm getting me some Rainbow Profi Vanadium Kicks (insert big smiley face)!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us