Waterfall Graph

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 846
I have seen a waterfall graph, but I am not sure I understand it thoroughly.

What are its benefits, and how do you really read it?

I am aware of the obvious, but I never really got into depth about it.

If anyone has more detail, and/or personal experience please feel free to throw down your .02.

Peace

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 850
bump

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11370
similar to a mesh plot.
it's a sectional 3D representation of a 2D table.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 851
Yeah that I am aware of that, but how would a 3d plolt benefit me when I look at it verses a 2d plot.

I guess what I am tryig to ask is "what are the pros/cons of waterfalls versus convention FO graphs?"

Do they really help you isolate how your driver behaves, and/or performs?

Would a waterfall graph help me design a better x-over, and how?

Are waterfall graphs supposedly higher precission or just a more detailed picture?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5713
A waterfall shows time domain distortion due to energy stored in the system being observed across the frequency spectrum. It's a 3D comparable to a windowed sine burst.

The main thing a waterfall can tell you where energy storage occurs with a driver. Metal cone drivers tend to perform best within their intended frequency range, but you'll see their spurious resonances higher up. It can help you design a better crossover by telling you where energy storage occurs and which measures you can use to prevent it, amongst other parameters.

As far as what it can tell you about driver performance, I feel that low energy storage is crucial for transparency and clarity. With the drivers I've had experience with, the best ones for clarity and transparency have always been the ones that had the best performance on a waterfall, CSD plot, or similar.

Silver Member

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 854
Yeah anything in the 3.5Khz and above for non-tweeter drivers is choppy.

I am aware that dust caps also produce quite some break-up noise in this region as well.

I havent had too much exp with waterfall graphs to use them as refference.

I had an MRI and its almost the same thing. Its just 3D sectioned off, but an MRI is in color too (woot).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us