Amp recommendations for Diamond S600S comps and RE SX sub

Username: Nztunez

NelsonNew Zealand

Post Number: 2
I am slowly putting together my system package and so far I have chosen the sub and comp set that I'll be going with.

I set out to choose a HU, 1 set of Component speakers + amp and one 12" sub + amp.

It's a pretty basic system which is what I wanted to go with as it's the first time I've put together a car audio package.

I've pretty much decided on 1 set of Diamond Audio S600S comps(170RMS @ 4ohm - 340 RMS max) for the front stage and a single RE SX12" sub(1000RMS @Dual 2ohm - 2000 RMS max) to deliver the bass.

My main goal is to build an SQ system and SQL as a lesser priority. SPL doesn't interest me at all. I may even be going a bit overkill with the RE SX but I won't know until I have it all in so I'd rather push a bit too much than too little and wish I had more punch.

Now where I need help is to know what the best match would be in terms of amps for these speakers.

$$$budget$$$? Well I'd like to give these speakers the power they need first and foremost so basically what I'd like is suggestions on what the ideal amps would be for these speakers as well as the minimum that would be needed to still make them shine.

Let's say a budget of $300 Ebay dollars :-) for each amp...BUT less $$$ is certainly desirable if I can still get great sound for less Ca$h. I was looking at some of the Viper/Hifonics/Orion/Visonik/Alphasonik amps as well as many other brands and I really don't know which way to go. By the way...what's up with this Lanzar amp...some of these numbers look too good to be true...

Lanzar VIBE286 for $189
2 x 1000W RMS at 4 OHMS
2 x 2000W MAX at 4 OHMS
1 x 4000W MAX at 4 OHMS Bridged
2 x 1650W at 2 OHMS RMS

How close to reality are those numbers for a $200 amp???

Cheaper brands look good because they look to deliver the power to drive the speakers for a decent price. Is there a huge advantage to paying more(a lot more) and getting a more reliable brand...Kicker/JL/Zapco etc?

Am I right in assuming I need something in the range of a 300-350 RMS 2 channel amp to drive those Diamond comps to their fullest and a 1200-1800 RMS mono amp to get the most out of the RE SX12?

Thanks in advance for any advice and comments you would all like to throw my way.

Bronze Member
Username: ___

Pittsburgh, PA U.S.A.

Post Number: 68
I have a kicker 1200.1 amp for sale almost new works perfect !
And Kicker amps are underated I have heard that a kx1200.1 puts out Well over 1200 watts.
I will sell it for 250 shipped if you are intereseted email me at joe_grimm1967@yahoo.com

and YES ampwise you really get what you pay for..
I just got this amp off of ebay about 2 months ago for over 500 bucks

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 152
sorry man but opti the lanzar man said it is badly overrated but, their opti line is very good and you can get the 1800d or opti 1400d for 160 shipped or 200 shipped on ebay.

NelsonNew Zealand

Post Number: 5
I have nothing against buying used normally...it's just that I'm half way across the world from most of the sellers and if any little thing is wrong...unknown to the seller even... it's a hell of a long way to flick things back and forth to sort it out so in some ways I'd like to at least start with a new product if I'm buying fairly costly audio gear especially when shipping costs can often add 50%+ to the cost of the equipment.

That all said...any other comments on what would be good amps for these comps and that sub that I have chosen?

Is something like a Hifonics good enough to run those or do I really need Kicker, Alpine, JL, Orion etc to run them and get excellent performance out of them?

Am I going to hear a difference in SQ with better brand amps or will they just have more "quality" and last longer, run cooler etc. I realise those traits are important as well but not having access to much at all here in terms of good quality audio equipment...I'm really relying heavily on the experience of those on these forums to give me some good advice and informed viewpoints.

Put it this way...would it defeat the purpose of having a good sub and comp set like the RE and Diamonds by pairing it with midrange amps like say a Hifonics/MTX/Viper?

Do those type of speakers really NEED to be paired with Zapco/JL/Kicker/Alpine/Diamond or other higher end amps to make them shine?

Maybe I should put it another way...from my noob point of view...Diamond and RE should be about 9.0 on a relative SQ scale from all I've read.

Now where will that 9 go if I pair them with midrange amps...8.5?...8? Or won't you even tell the difference? Will really good amps allow that 9 to stay at 9 or even maybe get it up to 9.25?

I assume the old saying that you are only as strong as your weakest link applies to the audio world as well.

Ideally of course I'd love to have an unlimited budget and have McIntosh or Brax amps and Rainbow comps and RE XXX subs while I'm at it...throw in an Apline Status HU as well for kicks. That's not reality though so basically I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck system and don't want any piece of the system to let me down.

Let's say this is the final system...RE SX sub hooked up to a Hifonics Class D amp and Diamond comps hooked up to a Hifonics 2 Channel amp and the header for it all is a Kenwood Excelon KDCX889 HU for example.

What's the weak points in that system? Where should I upgrade to get all the pieces on the same level so to speak...everything should be a 9 like I feel the RE SX and Diamond comps are.

Thanks

NelsonNew Zealand

Post Number: 6
I have nothing against buying used normally...it's just that I'm half way across the world from most of the sellers and if any little thing is wrong...unknown to the seller even... it's a hell of a long way to flick things back and forth to sort it out so in some ways I'd like to at least start with a new product if I'm buying fairly costly audio gear especially when shipping costs can often add 50%+ to the cost of the equipment.

That all said...any other comments on what would be good amps for these comps and that sub that I have chosen?

Is something like a Hifonics good enough to run those or do I really need Kicker, Alpine, JL, Orion etc to run them and get excellent performance out of them?

Am I going to hear a difference in SQ with better brand amps or will they just have more "quality" and last longer, run cooler etc. I realise those traits are important as well but not having access to much at all here in terms of good quality audio equipment...I'm really relying heavily on the experience of those on these forums to give me some good advice and informed viewpoints.

Put it this way...would it defeat the purpose of having a good sub and comp set like the RE and Diamonds by pairing it with midrange amps like say a Hifonics/MTX/Viper?

Do those type of speakers really NEED to be paired with Zapco/JL/Kicker/Alpine/Diamond or other higher end amps to make them shine?

Maybe I should put it another way...from my noob point of view...Diamond and RE should be about 9.0 on a relative SQ scale from all I've read.

Now where will that 9 go if I pair them with midrange amps...8.5?...8? Or won't you even tell the difference? Will really good amps allow that 9 to stay at 9 or even maybe get it up to 9.25?

I assume the old saying that you are only as strong as your weakest link applies to the audio world as well.

Ideally of course I'd love to have an unlimited budget and have McIntosh or Brax amps and Rainbow comps and RE XXX subs while I'm at it...throw in an Apline Status HU as well for kicks. That's not reality though so basically I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck system and don't want any piece of the system to let me down.

Let's say this is the final system...RE SX sub hooked up to a Hifonics Class D amp and Diamond comps hooked up to a Hifonics 2 Channel amp and the header for it all is a Kenwood Excelon KDCX889 HU for example.

What's the weak points in that system? Where should I upgrade to get all the pieces on the same level so to speak...everything should be a 9 like I feel the RE SX and Diamond comps are.

Thanks

NelsonNew Zealand

Post Number: 7
Sorry for the double post. This site doesn't put up the messages very quickly does it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us