Upgrading "the big 3" and have a few questions

Anonymous

I got an amp pushing 500w RMS (around 350w for sub and 80w for each components). at high volumes I do notice the lights diming. So I want to upgrade a few wires to see if it'll make a difference. I know, I know, someone's gonna say "get a HO alt." well, money's tight for a new alternator. Now my questions are...

I got Knukonceptz wiring for my amp and I find them to be a good value for a good product. SO, could I be able to use the Knukonceptz wires in my engine compartment? or would the insulation be too weak and melt with engine heat?

what's the advantage/disadvantage of having a few thousand strands of copper as compared to 5 big copper strands that make up a wire?

Is it worth going to a 0/1guage wiring? or would 4guage be enough? my stock alternator is 100amps. and i'm currently using 4guage for the stereo system amp.

Thanks in advance!

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 316
4 guage would probably be fine for big 3 since you have a stock alt and you alread have the stock wires...it should help a little...maybe...if you get a ho alt in the future you might want to get a lower gauge wire... I don't think the wire will melt as long as you keep it away from the engine parts that are going to be hella hot...i.e. if it'd burn you dont' let it touch the wire.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11355
could I be able to use the Knukonceptz wires in my engine compartment? or would the insulation be too weak and melt with engine heat?

of course you can. that's the purpose of it.. just keep it away from hotspots like manifolds.

what's the advantage/disadvantage of having a few thousand strands of copper as compared to 5 big copper strands that make up a wire?

flexibility in the case of DC voltage. the more strands, the more easily it flexes, and the less it wears on each strand. In the case of high frequency AC, you also have something called skin effect that causes electrons to travel around the outside of the wire, thus more strands would mean higher current flow.

Is it worth going to a 0/1guage wiring? or would 4guage be enough? my stock alternator is 100amps. and i'm currently using 4guage for the stereo system amp.

use this chart:
http://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us