Off topic....Charging car battery

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 724
How do you charge a 12v car batery with a 12v power suppy?

Bronze Member
Username: Ironslave

Post Number: 46
what? are you talking like a power supply for your nintendo?

Silver Member

Post Number: 725
dude r u high?

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1146
you can't charge a 12 volt battery with a 12 volt battery, it has to be a higher voltage. they will just level out. this is why your alternator puts out 13.8 - 14.4 volts.

example: charge a 12 volt battery which is sitting at 0V with a 12 volt battery which is fully charged at 12V. one will discharge down to 6V, the other will charge up to 6V, then there will be no potential difference, nothing more will happen. (basic example, not incredibly specific)

haha, after typing that, i re-read and you said supply. not totally sure but since the supply is constantly putting out 12V, the battery should charge up to or just under 12V, depending on how much of a load the battery creates for the supply.

also, i'm pretty sure there has to be more circuity involved, you can't just hook them up directly, you'll burn something up.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 762
heh... please dont use a wall plug with your battery either. :-P The whole AC/DC electricity thing. It's not just an oldschool band. ;)

Silver Member

Post Number: 726
lol guys...i know a little about this stuff...i thought ud maybe just use a resistor or somtn to slow down the charge or somtn like that

Anybody else know anything about this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 727
or maybe a diode also to keep it from comin back....i dont think the circuitry will be that complicated

Silver Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 109
You can pick up battery chargers for pretty cheap.......or are you in it for the challenge?

Silver Member

Post Number: 728
yup the challenge.....wouldnt be much fun to just go buy 1 would it....lol

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1149
yeah, you'd a diods and resistor for that, dont know any details though.

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1150
yeah, youd' need a diod and resistor for that, but idk any details on that though

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1151
sorry, didn't think the first one went

Silver Member

Post Number: 729
yea i thought so a power supply,diode,resistor and transistor or somtn like that should be all you need.......

Cant find anything on google.........

Bronze Member
Username: Ironslave

Post Number: 52
yea... besides using a little wall plug would take a while to charge maybe a week... just go spend 30$ on a battery charger.. or hook it up to another car

it's a risky thing... youl need to make your own charging circuit than just running a plug to the battery and a couple of transistors... youll need to dig out wireing diagrams from somewhere

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 1156
you should be able to hook the resistor and diod in series with the line hooked to the positive battery post. no need for a transistor, i don't know what good that would to. just make sure all components are within specs so they don't just burn up.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11222
to use a wall outlet just use a trickle charger. do NOT try to build a bridge rectifier and use power resistors to trim the voltage. All you'll do is blow up the battery or cause it to gas. You need to trickle charge a lead-acid battery at a slower rate so it doesn't expand and gas, which by the way can kill you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us