Do I really need an AMP?????

Username: Budvol

Post Number: 1
I will be putting a PIONEER 4x50 head unit in my boat. Speakers will be 2 6x9 KICKER DS693.

I have a friend who has 2 Kicker 8 inch Subs he will give me. Can I just hook the head unit up these small subs without an Amp? And get OK sound. If whats the best way to wire it?

Just looking for a little extra bas punch to go along with the 6x9s...NOT wake up the whole lake

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 675
you probably wont get much sound from the subs by hooking them to your head unit. the head unit wasnt meant to run subs. the head unit wont really put out 50 watts per channel. thats probably a max rating more realistic would be 25x4. you could get a small amplifier. maybe 75 watts x 2. you would also need a crossover to send only the bass signal to the subs. the amplifier should have one built in.

Silver Member
Username: Goose5714

Post Number: 230
I don't think you can/would ever want to run subs off a hu, for starters its prolly only 20x4 rms, so thats 20 watts per sub, wouldn't be good, plus you need some decent sound for when the boat is running to really here it. Just get a small amp you can tuck away somewhere easy. *hint* I'll sell you my alpine mrp m350 for 100 shipped *hint* No but seriously you need an amp.

Silver Member

Post Number: 232
what kinda boat????

Post Number: 2
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 233
lol i was expecting a wakeboarding boat....what is that like 18 feet???? what size engine????? i'm sure you have plenty of room up front for a amp or is that closed off????

Post Number: 3
I was thinking a Jensen would be good enough to just give it a little thump. Dont want to put much $$$ into an amp on a boat. Just has to get wet once to fry it.

Post Number: 4
Its 19 foot with a Mariner 220HP souped up a little. runs about 96mph

And what about a cheap Jensen? As I said above dont want to put much $$$ into one.

Silver Member

Post Number: 234
yah, lol, there should be somewhere nice and sealed you can put it....maybe...that is a small boat/i'm sure it doesn't have a helluva lot of storage space....

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11259
you can't run 8" subs from a head unit
its not 50x4. that's peak
RMS is about 18 watts per channel.

get an amp or forget subs.

Silver Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 133
check this out, buy one cadence amp the one that is 400 rms and hook into it the 2 subs and 2 6x9. It's not the best but you'll feel the power
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us