Problems with my type r's

Username: Ctmike

Post Number: 4
I just had 2 type r's installed each powered with a pg 400.1 amp. Don't know what it is but they aint hitting the way I was hoping. They sound decent when I'm in the car, but not as loud as I thought, and when I listen outside with the trunk opened they sound pretty horrible, all muddy with no thump. Can anybody help?

Gold Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1756
well im guessing the pg 400 is only 400 watts ...while each type r is 500 watts ? trying getting an amp that gives you a clean 1000 - 1200 watts , also it could be your box .. is it sealed or ported and what size is it

Bronze Member
Username: Ruthless06

Post Number: 21
are they in phase with each other?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
and he said each powered not both, so about 400 to each sub. which is good, but could be better.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
and how did you connect the VC's on your subs? parallel or series? check that

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1757
well im guessing it has to be the box then , they dont perform well in smalled sealed boxes if i was you id get a well constructed ported box and later on a better amp

Post Number: 5
my box is sealed, shared chamber with about overall size of 2.4 cubic feet. The specs rec. .7-1.0 feet per sub. Would getting a sealed box with seperate chambers fix the problem (I was already thinking about getting one anyways). I was going to put more power into them, but I got the amps for $150 for both, brand new.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5713
Try a ported box instead ...

Btw - those subs can each handle 600wrms easily ...

Gold Member

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1759
yeah to get the results you're looking for get a well constructed ported box like i said earlier and give those subs a clean 600 watts a piece and you'll be happy

Post Number: 6
Yeah, i was going to get the xenon 600.1, but for the price I couldn't pass up the deal. Also, anybody think getting rid of the alpines for some jl 12wo4 smart? It's for my work car, so I don't want to spend a fortune, just don't want to be shown up by some idiot that shopped at best buy for one of thier weekly deals.

Also, trying to build my first decent system (for an explorer). I was thinking of 4 type r's for the subs, but any input would be appreciated (trying to spend no more than $250 a sub, anywhere between 2 to 4 subs).

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5752
The way u have it wired has nothing to do with it because ur amp, puts out the same amount of power 1-4 ohms, so thats not it. 400 rms should be enough to get the r's movin,

im guessing its the box, remember
30% equipment
70% install
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us