L7 hype?

Bronze Member
Username: Thaphunkjunk

Orrville, Ohio United states

Post Number: 25
ok honestly here i hear a lot of different comments on this forum on the l7s a lot of bad but some goods and most of the good ones come from the gold rated people. so i want to know if the sq is THAT terrible or if it will render nicely for an everyday system. my buddy is looking into buying 2 15 l7s and putting them in a vented box running off a kx 1200 amp so input please?

Gold Member
Username: Southern_bass

Paris, Tennessee U.S.

Post Number: 1457
if he does that i would just get 1 15'' since they are 1000 watts , then update to another sub when you can afford another amp

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1172
L7's are good spl subs, there sq is weird, they are ok for rap songs but if you listen to anything that has a "punchy" bass line, L7's suck.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2026
L7's are ok for someone that just wants something loud...but if you are looking for loud bass that sounds clean and clear, L7's are not the sub for you. Dont get me wrong, you can make them sound pretty desent. They just dont have the SQ of other subs in their price range. (and for the MSRP of an L7, you can get subs that are roughly as loud and sound alot better)

if you are looking at getting an L7...take this into account:

for the price of 1 L712, you could get 2 alpine type-r 12's. (just throwing that out there)

Silver Member
Username: Homegrowncam

Watauga, TX United States

Post Number: 165
Square subs SQ doesnt compare to round subs. I dont care for kickers SQ but others might.

Bronze Member
Username: Brianm8000

Sutton, MA USA

Post Number: 11
i am personally getting 2 12" L7's and throwing them in the back of my suv in a ported box. they are going to be powered by the sx1250.1 amp.

boy, i cant wait.

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 563
they have a weird sound to them almost like they're straining to produce a sound. on low sustained bass notes they're good but other than that they just don't sound to good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
how do those type rs compare (15's) to the l7 (15's)?

Bronze Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 35
square subs will always be louder than the round version of the same size assuming equal power being given. My friend has a 15" L7 in the kicker made ported box for it, and it is basically the type of sound that will impress someone who doesn't know anything about subs, but to someone who has heard JL's or anything else with great SQ, the kicker will be LOUD, but NOT satisfying...

You will need a HO alternator and new battery if you are running 2 of those 15's... but the box(s) will be HUGE.

Tell your friend to look into the SI Mag 15" D2 (little more $$ but WAYYYY better) or tell him to check out JL 13w6v2's (also more $$, but VERY VERY satifying bass hits and superb sound quality)

Bronze Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 36
basically, 2 15" L7's would be extremely unpractical for size, cost, sound quality...

if you really want to pound the hell out of yourself, go for like 4 12" alpine type r's, it will be just as loud, cheaper, and sound better than two 15" L7's

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 339
"square subs will always be louder than the round version of the same size assuming equal power being given. "

i think the square will be louder when theyre going the at the same excursion at low volumes. but wont the circle be louder overall at high volume because squares have limited excursion and circles have nearly 2x the excursion? So wont circle sub will move more air and be louder than a square subwoofer of the same size?

Bronze Member
Username: Jemone

Stone Mountain, Georgia United States

Post Number: 68
I aggree with every one on this tread who says that the L7 is built for rap If you want loud this sub is foe you.If you want SQ buy something else.

Silver Member
Username: Kwrubel21

Shelby Township, MI United States

Post Number: 211
around where i live, everyone is all about kicker. i haven't hopped on the bandwagon, and i don't plan too. although most of the kicker systems i've heard have sounded like crap, my friend's got 2 12" L7's in a sealed box with 3^3ft each, and it sounds ookay. it's not too punchy. it's powered by a hifonics brutus bx1605.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 546
i dont recommend the 15"s unless you want only spl. I think the 12"s sound alot better and still hit good.

Username: Shortyman513

Post Number: 6
i just bought (2) 15" L7's and (2) Kenwood 1700 watt amps.. the amps should be here today so i will let u know how everything sounds once i get it all hooked up.. here are a few pics...Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
what are some of your opinions on the type r's then? how loud do them puppies get? marc, whered you get that box or did you have it built?

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5079
my L7's are crazy loud, honestly i would never buy type R's, but thats just me.. I like the way the RE SE, Ed's V.2 line, and Kickers Cvr's sound over a type r, to each his/her own

Bronze Member
Username: Jemone

Stone Mountain, Georgia United States

Post Number: 80
Hey you guys want to hear something funny, I had one Bostwick DCL sub in a slot ported box and it was just as loud as two L5s, that were getting installed in the car next to mine in the same shop back in the day.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5084
I think they should stop making L5's i cant stand them

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1199
L5's are the biggest waste of money, if you want kicker get the cvr over the L5, it'll be just as loud but with a ton better sq, the same will probally be true for the L7 now that the cvx is out.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5102
I heard a cvx yesterday and i must say quite impressive

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 562
L5s aren't subs... they are spy devices. come on guys

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 583
The sq on that sub is horible, but i don't know about the 12". It may sound better. I wish i would of got the 12"'s instead of the 15"'s.

Bronze Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 52
I just heard my friends '05 model 15" L7 hooked to a SX 1250.1 and Boston Accoustic interiors hooked to a kicker 700.4 Amp.

I must say, yea, it is LOUD AS H3LL!! But SQ, IS SH1TTY!!! It is shitty SQ even compared to my power acoustik!!

Bronze Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 80
"what are some of your opinions on the type r's then? how loud do them puppies get? marc, whered you get that box or did you have it built?"
Type r's in my opinion sound great and can pound pretty loud. They're definately way louder in a ported box, and in my opinion, better sq. I had 2 of the older 300wrms type r 12's with an underrated 500w amp powering both of them, and they hit 144db in a sealed box. i've got 2 of the newer 12s now with 500W to each sub and they're definately louder.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
would those l7s suffice decently for some metal songs as far as the kick drums and possibly sublime?

Bronze Member
Username: Thunderforce

Netherlands

Post Number: 19
Kicker L7s smell as bad as they sound.
I have already smoked 9 10"L7s and 3 12inchL7s
and broke a Solo X18 in bits LOL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us