How much do get air conditioning??

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 434
how much does it cost, just to go to your local pep boys or sumthin and have them charge your system with frion? i know it depends how much they put in, but around what price does it cost. i just need frion...

i am at school so i cant call them, so i am asking on here..

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11078
I recharge the freon (refrigerant actually.. R34a) myself.. all you really need is a can of the stuff and a gauge to measure the line pressure.
costs me about $5 to do it if I recall.. had to recahrge the jeep a year or two ago.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11079
PS having them do it you're probably looking at about $200
they'll want to flush the lines and check for leaks before recharging the system.. which means labor.

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 807
It costs $100 CAD to do that around here at some local garage, but if you want a good job, like GW said, it will cost a fair bit of money.

Silver Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 224
My uncle has a licence to do it. He installs it for free for us, but we have to pay for the freon. About $70 a can.

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 435
200 bucks... no way. i heard it was around 100. their is no leaks in mine, and all of my hoses are already flushed out

Silver Member

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 436
200 bucks... no way. i heard it was around 100. their is no leaks in mine, and all of my hoses are already flushed out

Silver Member
Username: Wojopro

Silverdale, WA

Post Number: 235
You dont need certification to handle R134A. You can buy it pretty much any local part store. I know I am universal card carrier. R12 you need to be certified

Bronze Member
Username: Mrmikelazott

Independence, Oregon

Post Number: 76
bassman, im pretty sure autozone has it, i saw it at the the forest grove autozone. wasnt that much. hell of a lot cheaper than taken it somewhere

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1083
r134a is like 2$ for a can! you need no more than 2 cans; go to the shade tree mechanic and have him charge it for 20$

Username: Atfdmike

Michigan

Post Number: 9
The R 134 a refrigerant is readily available at most auto parts stores. If your system still has some residual pressure, is short cycling or cools but not cold enough, chances are you need to add some refrigerant. The same auto stores sell recharge kits for little money with instruction on how to safely add the refrigerant to your system. You should first inspect the system to be sure you do not see oil leaking from joints, seals, etc and that there is some pressure in the system. Generally, if your compressor starts when you turn on the A/C and the ambient temp is 60 +, you know you have some pressure in the system, and it should be OK to add. You really should have a car thermometer to put in the outlet duct to monitor the amount to add. Getting the outlet temp to 40 or 42 F is a good thing. Some systems may push cooler, but if too much refrig. is installed, outlet temps go back up and the entire system can overpressurize. Todays systems do not generally have as much refrigerant as older systems, so adding a little and letting the system equalize will get you better efficiency than just adding a can willy nilly. Just trying to help.

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1093
X2^^^
Listen to the man!

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 811
Freon != R134a if I am correct?

Gold Member