Hey guys GF is gettin on forum, she wants to know about JL

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 742
tell her so she isn't doubting her desission

Silver Member

Post Number: 745
common guys, she doesn't believe me when i say it, rovin, glasswolf, johnathan, chauncey... perferably one of you four

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 5010
Jl is a fantastic brand, one of the best:-) Sorry I am not one of the four you mentioned though so my opinion doesnt count:-)

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5372
^^Dont be like that.lol ur 1 of my favorites

Although it is a great brand it tends to cost more then equipment that is just as good if not better

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5013
did not bump

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2350
lol at least you are on my list of smart people.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5014
lol I was starting to feel left out lol!:-)

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5015
I shouldnt be on anyone's list of smart people:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 747
thats why i didn't name you LOL. no im kidding, i was just thinking off the top of my head, i know they know their stuff so i mean yea. GlassWolf never makes miscalculations so yea... James and everyone elses opinions count

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5374
Ur a Firefighter that makes u cool 2 me

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 561
i dont think i belong hereUpload

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2352
oh cool i never noticed that you were a firefighter. i guess when i looked at your profile i was only looking at your audio system. we have a hero on this forum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 563
you got to respect those firefighters. theyre true heros.

unlike those cops.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5018
lol it's a job like any other, But I do love it. There is nothing better then truely loving what you do:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 564
i hate cops though.

chad, did you see on the news when that cop shot that mexican that was on the ground like 5 times?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2354
no. when was this?

Silver Member

Post Number: 566
it was on the news a while ago. someone caught it on camera at night. he was like crawling on the ground and the cop was telling him something then he just shot him like 5 times.

dont you watch Good Day LA in the morning?

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5021
well thats the beauty about my proffesion we don't have any authority to turn us crooked. I am not bad mouthing cops I have a bunch of friends who are cops and I work with them day in and day out, but a small few give entire forces bad names which is a shame.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2356
i have to go to work in the morning.

btw pelon, i will be going to the soccer game on wednesday. s korea vs mexico.

Silver Member

Post Number: 571
where that at?

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2357
at the los angeles memorial coliseum.

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
sweet.

tomorrow i got to go work with my uncle in landscaping. no school.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 234
wow this totally got off topic...i want to see another game. Last game I saw was a DC United at JFK. O well that was a while back.

As for JL, they're a great company but seriously overpriced and getting to be a lot more hype now as more fanatical internet companies pop up. if you don't know what you're doing or you only want to shop at stores to get those "idiot" warranties JL is a great company as they have ohm load matching system on the amps, most stores offer a warranty to replace them and they're regulated power so you always get the power no matter how you wire it(well I think its 1ohm to 8ohm). I like JL as they have done a good job at bringing a quality product to the market but I think there are much better companies out there to buy. USAmps, DLS, TruTechnology, ED amps, Zed Audio, Incriminator Audio, and some others. What are you getting from JL by the way?

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
you should get your gf 2 13"w7s with 2 1000/1s.

shell stay with you forever.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11073
JL makes very good equipment. the price reflects (aside from buying a name) superior craftsmanship and higher quality components used in the construction of their products. That stuff should outlast your car if it's taken care of.

Thank your dieties you didn't buy some trash like audiobahn or roadgear.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1456
Jl is nice, and warranties from them are used to keep unauthorized sales down. also, on w6 and w7's there is no over the counter warranty, they must be sent back to JL. As far as US AMPS, they sold out last year to a foreign company, so we will have to see quality compare to older stuff....

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1470
*Rolls up, Ti Pros blaring.
*Rolls down the tinted window and smoke rolls out.
*Gives everyone a distant, "wtf", chingy look.
*Rolls window back up and slowly cruises off.

LOL! I've been sick ALL weekend, so I just HAD to take care of my THC level...

JL is a great brand, but I would never buy them, because they charge far too much for what you're getting. I always go back to Eclipse Tis because that's what I have the most experience with. But in my experience, the Eclipse Ti sounds better, is a little louder, and is a TON cheaper than the 13W7 or 12W7. But this is just my .02...

Silver Member
Username: Ucfsaxman

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 602
at least w/ JL you can hear them in stores and determine whether or not you like them many of these other internet companies do not sell in stores and so the average consumer would never be able to hear the product. so then people end up going by word of mouth which seems to work w/ RE but i personally would never buy something i haven't heard or would never have a chance of hearing. When I first got into to car audio I became aware of JL audio but i couldn't quite afford them at first over the years at shows and various stores i listened to many many JL audio subwoofers in all applications and i noticed extreme consistency in every situtation the JL's performed very well. With some other subwoofers you have to set them up just right to get the most out of them. I'm not saying you don't for JL it's just that Jl has always impressed me and the other high quality brands that are in the market have not impressed me as much

Just my 2 cents sorry for the long post.

Silver Member

Post Number: 756
umm... Glasswolf, i got audiobahn right now LOL no joke... 2 aw1206's with a 1600watt amp.... LOL

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 5542
saw ur post last night but i was getting very sleepy

Like they all said JL is 1 of the best & the only true thing ppl can b!itch about them is the price - but hey nobody b!tches about price when they go 2 buy a benz/bmx - same thing , u pay 4 what u get ........

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 248
TY you'll have to check your facts out. They were sold to California which I guess to some might be another country. As for their amps, they're still designed by Dirk(original USAmp designer) and the only the Xterminator line is the only line made 100% over seas, I believe its in Korea which is better than China for buildhouses. As for the higher lines like the Merlin line, all major components are made in the US or US parts like the coils and resistors. And the AX line is 100% built in the US. If you want to talk to someone on USAmps find Flakko on caraudioforum.com or soundsolutionsaudio.com. He's family to the owner.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5586
"As for JL, they're a great company but seriously overpriced and getting to be a lot more hype now as more fanatical internet companies pop up."

Let's define "overpriced", shall we?

1st case scenario. I order up some generic Vifa drivers, we'll say what would retail to a customer for a total of $100 from a site such as madisound. Then, I design an elliptic crossover, name it "transient optimized", "phase perfect", "Satnet", or any other name intended to confuse the unknowing customer with meaningless technobabble. Then let's say I sell this component system for $700 and call them CDT Eurosports.

Second scenario, let's say I come up with my own damn speaker design. I consult one of the most highly regarded cone and suspension makers in the world (Kurt Mueller), and a prestigious German buildhouse (keeping this confidential) to built these drivers. I design the motor, invest extreme effort into designing a solid crossover, then offer this component system for $400 and call it the JL Audio XR component system.

Get the picture? I realize I'm stepping on toes here, but there seems to be a lot of bandwagoning and "anti" bandwagoning lately.

I guess I'm one of the few that feels JL is well worth the price you pay. Once you understand where and how the drivers are engineered and built, you start to realize how they can justify the extra cost. They aren't the 99% of car audio brands that pull parts off a shelf and relabel them. They back up their product 100%, whether to the consumer or the competitor. They carry what I consider to be an admirable business ethic. They market effectively, especially saying their marketing department only consists of 3 people. Lucio Proni continues to serve as the lead engineer for JL, they still have a driving passion to design and produce some of the best drivers in mobile audio, and they still compete with the "fanatical" online companies. If anything, they are the best success story I've ever seen in car audio.

As far as the W7 being "overpriced", ever seen the effort put into the W7? Once you do, you'll realize why it costs more than a Brahma, XXX, SI Mag, Avalanche, and it's other competitors. It's straight up built better, it's the Mercedes of subwoofers. Only thing JL doesn't custom tool for a W7 are the screws that fasten it to the MDF board in the shipping box.

I also don't see how people don't realize that the cost is set by the DEALER, not JL. All you have to do is learn how to work with people.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5030
Wow Jonathan claps go all around on that one. I could'nt agree with you more on every simgle point you made lol:-)

"I also don't see how people don't realize that the cost is set by the DEALER, not JL. All you have to do is learn how to work with people."

Aint that the truth:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 605
so w7s are built better and have better quality than a ti or xxx?

Gold Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 1474
Pelon: yes, but does it really affect the overall performance enough to be worth the extra $? That's just my point... It's a personal decision. I'm not very good on details like Jonathan, so maybe he knows how "custom" the RE and Eclipse teams are...

Gold Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1073
JL the Mercedees of subs? Ill driver a Beamer if that was the case. =D
Its plenty of subs that get hell of louder and sound better than JL audio 4 the price of JL audio!

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5034
"JL the Mercedees of subs? Ill driver a Beamer if that was the case. =D
Its plenty of subs that get hell of louder and sound better than JL audio 4 the price of JL audio! "

thats your choice B! you find me a sub that sounds better then the jl wgv2 series for the money! There are subs that will get louder then the w7 also but very few retain the SQ to boot. JL isnt a SPL comp sub building company, can the w7's in a highly tuned SPL enclosure burp out some serious #'s the answer is yes but in that case I would rather use a SPL designed sub because it is a waste of a solid SQL driver to use it in that application. The fact is if you compare the REXXX 12, the Eclipse TI 12 the brahma 12, the SI mag 12, the image dynamics ID max 12, and whatever else you want to throw in the mix with the 12 w7 none of them are going to be much better in the SPL or SQ range if they are any better at all. To each his own prefference and everyone's ears and taste's are different. Those who tend to knock JL usually can't afford it! I am not saying this is the case with you B but it is the case with most.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2393
getting louder and sounding better is an opinion. everyone thinks differently. i think jonathan is saying the way the JLs are built, they are worth their price.

Gold Member

Ct

Post Number: 5035
they sure are

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1076
i am not bashing JL in anyway. I love their amplifiers; hell my boi had 3 of the old w6s and they did major damage and went low. I agree with you; its not a SPL sub. JL audio subs are designed mainly for sealed boxes in my opinion. Everyone is intitled to their own opinion in deed.

Ive read about the Si mags, and NOT from this forum! Let me tell you it will take on the JLw7 in sealed or ported; same power & box! Head2head.

Now Ive also read about the RL-s 12s ALL i got to say 2 of those 12s will destroyed 2 12w7s immensly! Its been proven..

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1078
I can say this statement, without feeling bad: JL audio is one of the manufactures on TOP of the SQ list. They are a very hard subwoofer to compete with as far as sound quality!

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2133
"I like JL as they have done a good job at bringing a quality product to the market but I think there are much better companies out there to buy. USAmps, DLS, TruTechnology, ED amps, Zed Audio, Incriminator Audio, and some others."

Solid companies (except tru), but "much better?" I think that's why I like JL. It's kind of like the tough guy who talks a lot of trash, but can back it up (and they really aren't the ones talking trash either. They let customers do that for them). If they charged the extreme rates and then didn't provide the performance I'd be a bit disgruntled. I don't think you'll find "much" better than JL. Perhaps better suited to your particular taste, but a better company as a whole? I don't think they've missed a beat since they went national in the '70's.
I try hard not to bother with jl b/c everyone and their momma owns it or aspires to own it.
I don't make it point to sound better than someone's ride with jl equipment, but I do bask in the glory when it does:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 2134
"The fact is if you compare the REXXX 12, the Eclipse TI 12 the brahma 12, the SI mag 12, the image dynamics ID max 12, and whatever else you want to throw in the mix with the 12 w7 none of them are going to be much better in the SPL or SQ range if they are any better at all."

i would agree more if the w6 was used as the example.
my brahmas, the xxx, and id max eat the w7 up in flat out sq.
but that w6... beauty

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1082
w6 has even more sq than a w7 from what ive been told.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5587
"Ive read about the Si mags, and NOT from this forum! Let me tell you it will take on the JLw7 in sealed or ported; same power & box! Head2head. "

You've READ about? I would think you'd start talking off of a little bit more info than what you've read about.

"Now Ive also read about the RL-s 12s ALL i got to say 2 of those 12s will destroyed 2 12w7s immensly! Its been proven.."

Again with the reading, and all YOU'VE got to say is they will do yada yada yada? This is how bandwagons get started. So if you see that one Camaro is fast, are you going to go to Mustang forums and talk smack to them? Try to develop an opinion on something credible.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1094
"*Rolls up, Ti Pros blaring.
*Rolls down the tinted window and smoke rolls out.
*Gives everyone a distant, "wtf", chingy look.
*Rolls window back up and slowly cruises off.

LOL! I've been sick ALL weekend, so I just HAD to take care of my THC level...
"

LOL Jake Hill sounds like my daily routine...
Upload

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1096
Johnathan; Im not bandwagging!!!
Im also NOT on the JL bandwaggon either!!!
The opinions I have read and got are from those people who have actually TESTED both setups equally to the same standards!

They not only test & compare subs, but they do the same for amplifiers also. If something isnt correct or can be imporved they simply state it! The guys are diehard car audio enthusiasts; who have been in car audio longer than most of you guys! NOT NEWBIES!
These guys are into serious competing NOT daily drivers!! They compete for the best SPL and the also compete for the BEST SQ!
If they are competing for SQ I would think they have great vast knowledge of what SQ is and what its supposed to sound like!

Im open minded to anything, I dont hope on bandwaggons my friend! Ive heard alot of subs. JL isnt the best period!

I simply stated above I have nothing against JL audio. =D

Gold Member

Post Number: 2136
"The guys are diehard car audio enthusiasts; who have been in car audio longer than most of you guys! NOT NEWBIES!"

just curious. as i don't have the luxury of auditioning equipment the way I do over the summer, can you please provide us with a link to these chaps. i know a few world champions and they wouldn't mind my referencing their names with regards to any information that i have received on account of them.
it would be a great help if you could provide a link where these test results or their discussion might be listed. i (like yourself) hate foaming at the mouth based on heresay. thanks

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5588
"If they are competing for SQ I would think they have great vast knowledge of what SQ is and what its supposed to sound like!"

That proves to me you've never been to a competition. EVERY competitor has a different philosophy on how something should sound. If that weren't the case, they'd be using the same type of equipment, with the same tuning, just hoping they'll get an advantage from their vehicle type.

This is why it's important to use YOUR ears and not rely on someone elses. JL isn't my absolute favorite SQ sub, but neither are the rest of those mentioned above.

No objective measurement can tell you anything about SQ, nor can a subjective opinion tell you what is best.

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1103
SQ is totally subjective to the listener! We all know that! This is FUNNY; your telling me I havent been to compition. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA wait HAHAHAHA

Before competition computers are used to calibrate and measure a good SQ system. Ever heard of a RTA microphone Jonathan? ? ? It measures real time response. TOTALLY RELATED TO SQ!
These settings and measurements are NOT done by ear!

Mike if you are curious, I can get you the link; Marshall is also a member of Termpro. I have been ova there just as long as being here. Those guys are ova there not here, because of the BS that goes on over here..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2137
termpro is quite the vast spl forum. almost exclusively, really. unless it's changed as of late.
as far as the rta, there is plenty more to sq comp than just a flat A weighted curve. most all of it is EXTREMELY subjective. that's why the judges and the "sport" catch so much flaq. because it's so pretentious. here is an example of the rules a decade ago. they just changed the rules again this year, but this gives a basic idea of the criterea for judging.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/soundoff.html

Silver Member

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 604
so Nomlimit what do you think of the direction this thread has gone haha.

Silver Member

Oviedo/orlando, Fl

Post Number: 605
Nolimit what do you think of the direction this thread has gone. haha

Silver Member

Post Number: 772
dude, im lost in the forum... well atleast in this thread LOL

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5590
"SQ is totally subjective to the listener! We all know that! This is FUNNY; your telling me I havent been to compition. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA wait HAHAHAHA"

Yet you're still depending upon on other forum users to develop your "personal" opinion. It isn't a matter of who you trust, it's a question of how much of a lemming you are. You're insulting YOUR OWN intelligence and decision making capability by depending on others to feed you an opinion on what they think is best. Go ahead and laugh it up, you have a good reason to, because THAT is what's funny. Go pick up a Consumer Reports magazine and buy a Toyota while you're at it.

Another thing you have to realize is that there are numerous OBJECTIVE approaches to getting SQ, all with their pros and cons. Perhaps you failed to pay attention to this at your trip to competition (assuming you took one). The only limitation is user's capability to implement it to its fullest. This is why you shouldn't trust the brand "X" vs brand "Y" comparisons and product hyping that occurs on the internet. All the Klippel analysis, waterfall plots, decay measurements, THD measurements STILL don't give you a clue about how something sounds. I prefer not to rely on a subjective analysis because you're depending upon a very large variable: the user.

"efore competition computers are used to calibrate and measure a good SQ system. Ever heard of a RTA microphone Jonathan? ? ? It measures real time response. TOTALLY RELATED TO SQ!"

RTA = free points. They aren't "TOTALLY RELATED TO SQ!". Anybody with a processor and some half decent 6x9s in the rear deck can nail this one, doesn't make it meaningful to SQ. If we're talking an anechoic chamber, and at the point where our hearing is most linear (~85db) this could potentially be of use. Problem is that an RTA can't give you a true response of what YOU hear, because it can't effectively take reflections into account, and a car is an echoing nightmare. Aside from this, they aren't looking for a flat response, they're looking for smooth transitions from octave to octave. You aren't trying to satisfy a computer, you're pleasing the human ear, which is a rather crude instrument. Ever wonder why competitors are given time to tune the system after an RTA reading? Take a wild guess.

Want to go to a real SQ forum?

http://www.elitecaraudio.com

Gold Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 1137
WOW, u must have really caught some feelings Johnathan. Or are you trying to get me or convince others to get on the BANDWAGGON?

I see it took you like 12hrs to do your research. Who are you? to tell me how I obtain my own opinion? Or do you think for everyone on this forum?
I think people can see for themselves, Im not trying to impress NOBODY on this forum! UNLIKE yourself. Your a DICKHEAD!

http://audioforum.termpro.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/8/t/024346.htm l

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5593
"WOW, u must have really caught some feelings Johnathan. Or are you trying to get me or convince others to get on the BANDWAGGON?"

Not particularly, I don't use JL aside from their amps, which aren't exactly what you're intending to dethrone at the moment. You can pull the opinions off of every forum in the world and put them on my desktop, I choose what I choose based on MY opinion, which I have developed through MY OWN experience. You assume I stick to this forum and ignore the rest out there, Termpro, ECA, SD, Soundillusions, CAC included? Think I haven't heard an SI Mag? Brahma? XXX? I'm in this hobby for my own personal enjoyment, which I find more satisfactory than creating posts on Termpro aimed at tallying up enough votes to rattle a couple of cages. If you care to jump on the "bandwagon" I'm on, you're more than welcome to go get Dynaudio System 360 comps and an ID Max. Or my upcoming SEAS Lotus References.

"I think people can see for themselves, Im not trying to impress NOBODY on this forum! UNLIKE yourself. Your a DICKHEAD!"

If I were worried about maintaining a reputation, I wouldn't post on controversial topics. I've been in quite a few on the forum over the last few years. I could use some half anonymous user name and scar it by flaming, then reregister under another once I'm not "credible" anymore. I think most on this forum as well as others will tell you I'm pretty straightforward, which also means I'm not going to sugarcoat my opinions, either.

I don't nor did I ever care if you don't like JL, you'll see that from the second I replied to you. I DON'T think the W6v2 and W7 is god's gift to the audio world, nor do I think they outperform everything in their price range. Flame them up and down from now until eternity for all I care, as long as you do it for THE RIGHT REASONS.

Go ahead and prove it to yourself. Post this specific reply on Termpro, you'll find that any of them credible agree with the EXACT same thing I'm telling you: Develop your own opinions instead of repeating what you've been told is better. If you don't know jack about a product, leave your opinions that way until you do. Like I said above, it's how bandwagons get started. And you are BANDWAGONING.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5317
Let's not lose the focus. SQ is subjective. It's always good to see different opinions on topics. However, let's leave out personal attacks. I've had my share of "discussions" with Jonathan and Mikechec9 in the past, but one thing is clear. They're both good guys and knowledgeable. So keep that in mind.
Express as much as you like, but don't lose your cool. Last thing you want to do is insult peole that offer free support/help.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5318
One more thing, I own W7 in HO box and love the SQL.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us