How do i hook up a system in my house??

Username: Emdawg12345

Post Number: 2
I just purchased a lightening audio subwoofer system so i can put it in my room. I thought i knew how to install it but it came with a 1 page instruction manual with little detail. I have a car battery in my room and everything needed but i dont know how to install it and get it running properly, my main concern is the battery. How do i connect the battery correctly to the amplifer. If someone can plz help me i would surelly apriciate it..

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 948
Hows that battery gonna stay charged??

you are going to need a AC/CD Converter, not a car battery.

Username: Rogney

Post Number: 1
use a 12 volt battery charger

Bronze Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 66
I would use a 1 or 2 Farad cap to filter the voltage from the charger, voltage is too dirty and you will not be able to run the system with the charger on. Polo..

Username: Travis_lamance

Post Number: 4
I would use a subwoofer made for home use.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 882
easiest way to use car audio stuff in the house is to use a computer power supply. cut the yellow and black wires, yellow is power black is ground. use one of the yellow wires as the remote wire then hook up the wires to appropriate terminals. remember to also leave one ground wire to hook up to the ATX motherboard connecter. this so you can activate the power supply as if you were pressing the on button for your computer. hook the ground wire to pin with the green cable or just cut it off and connect the two wires. plug in the power supply and there you have it, a 12 volt power supply that does not need filter and such. wattage will of course dictate what computer PWS you will use, most can be bought under $50 and give decent wattage.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 912
why not just buy a class D plate amp that runs on AC power. Check out partsexpress

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 885
actually i dont know why i bothered posting. it seems like the guy isnt bothering to check back.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

College Park, MD

Post Number: 913
anyway there's been tons of threads on the forum and the home audio forum about this, we really don't need another one.

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 891
yea i basically copied what i remember from the one in the home audio section. i used it to use a spare amp that i have. here is the thread for reference:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/4033.html

Post Number: 7
hey ya im sory i didnt write back but i forgot the site name lol, well thnx for the help but its not helping :-( this is to hard for me i dont gota clue wut 2 do, i dont care about the charger and stuff i just wana kno how to hook it up atleast so can sum1 plz tell me that simple thing? theres 3 wires i dont kno wut 2 do with, thats all,,, GRND POWER REM +12V <--where do i hook these wires too 2 get get power to the stupid amp and subs!! i had this for 2 weeks and dont gota clue wut 2 do, i just hooked up the subs directly to the radio and have it running at very little watts, its pumping good enuf bass to make my phone fall off of my radio and make my cd's skip while playing good bass songs lol : ) so plzz help me

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 910
wow, did you not bother to read the link i gave or even my post? i just told you how to do it.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5500
Yo Christopher,
Shamuchef is back posting as anonymous again. Actually had the balls to think I post as anonymous!

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/suggestions/197020.html

Post Number: 8
YES!!! i read urs like 5 times but dont understand it, i read the whole da$% list of 100's of forums but I DONT GET IT! i never worked with subs, amps, or anything electrical even! just think of me as a mom asking u this k?

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 911
well first you are gonna need a computer power supply which can be bought in most computer supply stores or online at places like newegg.com. you can connect the red battery terminal to both the power and the rem connectors. then the black terminal to the ground connector. this will probably last about five minutes so i dont see the point in this. go out and buy a cheap computer power supply then come back.

Post Number: 9
ok thanx , but i if i buy a computer power supply thing, how do i hook it up if i dont have a computer to do it on? can i just do it without the computer and straight to the amplifer sum how? hook me up wit sum info on this one kus i dont gota clue wut this even is!http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showimage.asp?Mode=&Type=&Image=17-152-022-02.jpg% 2C17-152-022-03.jpg%2C17-152-022-04.jpg%2C17-152-022-05.jpg%2C17-152-022-06.jpg% 2C17-152-022-07.jpg%2C17-152-022-08.jpg%2C17-152-022-09.jpg&CurImage=17-152-022- 07.jpg&Description=RAIDMAX+AURORA+RX-580F+ATX+580Watts+Power+Supply+-+Retail

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 915
hold up on it. wait until i get back home and at the one i did. just go and buy it. ill explain later tonight

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 916
ok you need to connect the one and only green wire on the big connector to any yellow wire. that will send a signal to the power supply to turn on. if you have one with a on/off switch that you can use that to turn your amp on and off. if not just plug and unplug the power supply. you CAN connect one black wire to the ground position and one yellow wire to the power position but the amount of current you may be drawing may cause a fire so use as many of each color as you can to get maximum equivalent gauge. then youi take any yellow wire and connect it to the position that says REM. that will send a signal to the amp to turn on.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
ight but can u send me a link and show me like wut exactly to buy, im on a budget so i only wana spend about 50 at the most... my amp is 400 watts and i got 2 500 watt speakers. Just show me a picture of the wires, thanx alot i hope this works kus i cant get this to work

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 917
this power supply will probably be your best bet within your budget:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817163018
this one is a little better but more $$:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817161008

here is info on the big clip:
+3.3 volts ---------------Orange
+5.0 volts----------------Red
+12 volts-----------------Yellow
COM/GROUND--------Black
PWR_OK----------------Grey
+5.0 volts (Stand-By)---Purple
-12 volts------------------Blue
+ 3.3 volt sense----------Brown
PS_ON--------------------Green
in this pic you can clearly see the green PS ON wire:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Showimage.asp?Mode=&Type=&Image=17-161-008-01.jpg% 2C17-161-008-02.jpg%2C17-161-008-03.jpg%2C17-161-008-04.jpg%2C17-161-008-05.jpg% 2C17-161-008-06.jpg%2C17-161-008-07.jpg&CurImage=17-161-008-04.jpg&Description=C ODEGEN+PS12V-550W+ATX12V+550W+Power+Supply+-+Retail
splice that and connect it to the BLACK wire. I lied last time. its the BLACK one.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
ight im gona buy that one today, but u c how there is alot of yellow wires and stuff, dus that mean i can connect more than one or wus shuld i do to hook it up for best results,,, and most important, do i need a computer? kus i dont have one...

Silver Member
Username: Matt12490

Benicia, California

Post Number: 374
does that actually work?? and is it safe??

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 918
you dont need a computer for this. it works i do it with my spare amp. there is a way to make a special switch but if you just plug and unplug it i dont think its all that bad especially if the power supply has its own power switch.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
k thnx but the wire part again, which wires do i use since there is alot of yellow black etc.... ? help me out on this one

Silver Member

USA

Post Number: 919
i cut them all. they are only like 22 gauge so running the amps with only one of each will be dangerous. leave one yellow and one black and take the rest and twist the stripped ends together. connect that to the terminals on the amp. the extra yellow goes to the remote 12V terminal and the extra black goes to the green wire on the big connector. remember to be careful when doing this. if you arent sure of yourself wear some rubber gloves so you dont electrocute yourself. if you still arent sure after you get the power supply, takes some pictures of your stuff and i will try and clarify with your stuff.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
k thanx, but one part dusnt make sence, u sayed to cut all the wires but yelo and black, but wut about the green one its gona be connected to the power to the amp, and also wut dus that green one do?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us