Sub box question

Username: Licpl8man

New Milford, CT

Post Number: 1
I just bought 2 12" Kicker CompVR subs, and the guy at the Circuit City said that they will sound their best in a vented box. I have a crappy sealed box that I'm looking to replace anyway, so I put 2 1 1/2" diameter holes in the top over each sub. The subs now don't pound as hard and seem a little distorted. If I put them in a "real" ported box, will they sound better or should I just get a better sealed box to replace my crappy one?

Bronze Member
Username: Yukhui

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Post Number: 77
I would get a nice vented box. Not prefab, you will have to get/make a custom made so the sub's sound their best.

Bronze Member
Username: Mph

Post Number: 20
A real ported box will sound better. You cannot just put holes in a box and expect great sound. The holes need tubes which must be the correct length and diameter (tuning the box). The length, diameter, and box volume are figured via the manufacturers specs on the speaker.

Silver Member
Username: Pelona

Post Number: 432
never believe those guys that work at circuit city or best buy. they dont know sh.it.

and sealed is the best for sq not ported.

Username: Licpl8man

New Milford, CT

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys. The box I got for free from a friend who had punched the holes in it. I just sealed it up real well, but when I got these subs (to replace the Cuspid garbage that came with said box), I just wanted to see if they would work in a ported box. The old one will see its final resting place in my fireplace come Sunday when I get a new box...

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 421
If you have the port tuned to 38 hz, your subs will pound... that is also thr rec. size of port for two comp vr's

Silver Member
Username: Dustin3

Tigard, Or U.S.

Post Number: 422
and yes ported would sound the best. i have 2 of those same subs, if ya got any questions ask away
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us