Alternative to Kappa Perfect 6" comp

Nanbakat
Unregistered guest
I am doing a new speaker install next month, and will be tossing my old coaxials for a set of components. I had originally decided on getting a pair of Kappa Perfect speakers for the front, but I've read some bad things about poor bass response (not too big of an issue for me because I have a 10" sub) and the very "bright" and harsh tweeters.

Are there any other brands that forum members could recommend as superior to these Infinity Kappas in the 250-300 dollar range?

I would be running these off of an Alpine MRV-F345 amp (75WX4 @ 4 ohms or 150X4 @ 2 ohms)

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 227
CDT EF series...the EF-61CF. Also look into Boston Acoustics and Dynaudio.

Nanbakat
Unregistered guest
A few questions for you (Alteraudiousa):

1) What is the difference between the speakers that you are recommending (CDT EF-61CF) and the CDT EF-61FG? What's the difference between them? Is it only the material of the mid-range cones...i.e. Fiberglass vs. Carbon-fiber? Is that worth the 50 bucks difference in price?

2) If these are rated at 130W RMS, is my 75W amplifier going to underpower them? Should I look into upgrading to a bigger amp? If so, what wattage would you recommend for these CDT speakers?

3) My 4 channel Alpine amplifier has a built-in crossover. Could I leave out the passive crossover included with the CDT component speakers and instead use my amp to drive two channels (separately) to the midrange speakers and two channels (separately) to the tweeters? Is there any advantage to doing this? Cleaner power, perhaps? (I currently have my rear coax speakers on this amp, but I could reconnect those to my HU rear output instead.)

4) What's the best way to get in contact if I wanted to buy the CDT speakers from you?

-nanbakat

PS - Interested in the best SQ possible. Money is always a consideration, but I'd be willing to spend a little extra for better sound.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 265
Nan, best way to get hold of me is sales@alteraudiousa.com

As for the CF and FG they are made of different materials and the CF can go slightly lower but the FG have a slightly peakier midrange. I run my stuff active(no crossover) and I think you get the most out of the speakers. You'll need to watch the gain on the amp for the tweets but I use a Monitor 1 mk2.70 on them(70x2) and its fine. Depending on how much you want to spend will make a serious factor in the speaker department. I like the midbass on the HDs alot. And if you know you're not going to use the crossover we can order piece by piece. But email me and i'll get with you.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 871
I have Polk Audio MOMOs. And I had the Perfects about 7 months ago. Big Difference, the MOMOs are much better, and cost less.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us