Hey alteraudio?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4817
I have been looking into the SI mag's and was wondering how they are in the SQ aspect. I can see that they are high competitors in the SPL lanes but the sq factor is very important to me. Let me know.
thanks

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 264
bs

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1738
bs?

james what i hear is they can play high and low and fast and slow lol.i heard from somebody that heard 2 12 avas and 2 12 mags and they liked the mags better.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 109
The Mags are in the same class of SQ as the IDMAx and Adire Brahmas, I personally prefer it oer a W7, Type X, and SE and SX in both output and SQ. Very tight and very accurate even at 30hz. The 45-60hz range was excellent. I used the 2nd Gen and the prototype for the new 3rd Gen which the prototype I used is the production model used and it was one of the best subs i've used. SPL is comparable to a XXX. FOr example, I used to own a ED160v.2 in a ported 2.2cu ft box tuned to 29hz. After using that i went to a single Mag 12 in a sealed box and output was almost the same. In a sealed box, the Mag 12 beat out the 160v.2 by almost 1.5db. I like my subs sealed and used a 1.6cu ft box. incredibly good with in my Galant was more than enough for me. I didn't even put it at full tilt and i was hitting 139db and the SQ was still solid. noticable cutoff slope on output came about 26hz or so maybe 27hz. If you listen to Perfect Circle tell me how many subs can handle the song Lullaby at highs volumes like the Mag can. I see many people who buy two Mags and usually end up selling one after a few weeks cause one sub is good enough. I'd buy one of them if you got the money for them. You won't go wrong.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4839
Hey P!mp what the hell are you talking about? thanks trevor and alter! So what size box would you think they would be good with for a 12 with 800-1000 watts and tuned to what? The ID max is my favorite SQ sub ever and if it compares to that I would be more then happy:-) how are they compared sealed/ported? thanks man

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4840
I personally dont think the brahma's have that great SQ. I have a mark 11 15 and ran it 2.5 sealed against my ava 15 and was not that impressed with the brahma. The output was good but SQ wasnt all that great, I mean it was much better then entry level subs but not to stature with 12w6v2 or ID max.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4841
I personally dont think the brahma's have that great SQ. I have a mark 11 15 and ran it 2.5 sealed against my ava 15 and was not that impressed with the brahma. The output was good but SQ wasnt all that great, I mean it was much better then entry level subs but not to stature with 12w6v2 or ID max.

Silver Member

Post Number: 271
Sh.it i posted the in the wrong thread. My fault. As for sq on mags i don't know.

Silver Member

Post Number: 273
Sh.it i posted the in the wrong thread. My fault. As for sq on mags i don't know.

Anonymous

stfu pimple,stop posting useless sh!tt and contribute to the forum.

instead of always putting people down and asking stupid questions just stfu and learn.

Silver Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 120
well I prefer sealed boxes and even when i do ported I still do them small. For some reason I can tell a difference from a ported and sealed because a sealed box makes it sound like a thump when a ported sounds like a boom. If going ported i would go 1.75cu ft tuned to 29hz or so. SI recommends a 1.5cu ft tuned to 32hz or 2cu ft tuned to 28hz. I would first see if you can get a temp sealed box like 1.5cu ft and run 1000rms to it and see what you think. I did 139db with my 2nd gen mag on 1200rms in a 1.6cu ft box. As long as you do the port box right it'll sound very good just not my cup of tea though. What car is it going in?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4847
a 2003 dodge ram quad cab pick up. I am removing the center seat and center console in between the driver and passanger and custom building a box with sub downfiring. I can get 2.0 cu/ft if I need it, but 1.75 would be ideal! I preffer sealed as well and have always run sealed, but I kind of wanted to do a downfiring sub slot ported facing forward:-) I just think being up close and personel with the sub is going to really make a huge difference in the SQ of the system. If I did go ported I would do a low tuned enclosure to keep best control of the sub. I might just go sealed though. Is the only place to buy the SI mag's on their web site?

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2254
james i see you referring the jl w6v2s for sq subs a few times. are they that much better than the w7s in sq?

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4849
yes

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2255
hey if you do get the si mag when do you think you will be getting yours? trevor mentioned this sub to me a couple of weeks ago and from what he told me i was sold. i am just waiting til next month until i consider getting any new subs. i am just curious how it will sound. i could always count on your judgement james.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4853
well I just sold my avalanche 12 so I have to make a decision between running my 12w6v2, or my soundstream reference 12 which I already have both. If I don't run either of them I am choosing between the ID max and the SI mag. I am kind of on the same time line as you chad I want to have it done within the next month or so.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1747
the mags are now discontinued on the direct pricing!! :-(

they went from 400 shipped for the 15 to 529 and i dont even know if they are shipped.. i forget the site they are sold on.... you can find it on their site though.... im stilling going to get them one day. i'll just have3 to save up more money. its so hard when your 17... lol. but im doing 2 fiberglass installs coming up after i finish my friends benz
(omg never do work on a new model benz, they are SO complicated... im going on about 30 hours of work on his car... everything is custom. i had to wire into the engine fuse compartment for a ignition wire... there wasnt one in the dash. the entire systewm was fiberoptic... i have to make a fiberglass dash where the other radio was... we had to competely strip the car. the door panels wont even go back on correctly... its a mess. i'll finish it though lol)

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2303
only 3 weeks left til i am able to get some new subs. i am either getting 2 mag 12s or 2 12w7s. from what i hear from alteraudio the mags are a perfect sql system. i hope he is right cause i am leaning more towards the mags.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 943
Trevor I know about working on those Benz; Never install a remote start & alarm system << It will take ALL day... Too many extra relays and wires.
Damn Germans... But got to love em... =D

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 944
Chad get the Mags, just to be different! That would be an easy choice for me. =D

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1756
B, i know for real lol. im so glad all the wiring is done though. thats the hardest part. on those cars. now i just have to make the fiberglass dash tomorrow and work on the amp rack friday and finish the sub box saturday. then just paint it all.... oh and pick up the sub and drop 'er in. cant wait and its not even my setup lol.and btw. those kicker SX amps are amazing! you can even name them lol.

chad- alteraudio said the 12 mag give a 13w7 a run for the money so i have a good feeling. its too bad the 12s are 500 now from www.showcar.net instead of 350 or w/e they used to be.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 946
Trevor yea, those things have like a million wires under the dashboard! lol
I hope you are taking some pics to post back. =D Good Luck

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1760
yup i got a few more but i havent uploaded them yet. i'll make sure to post them though.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2306
12w7 fs is 27.2hz

mag 12 fs is 30.2hz

the jl would hit lower right? also 30.2 is kinda high isn't it?

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 948
18.34hz on my Treo 15

But yea, thats low for a 12jl. =D
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us