Clipping?

Bronze Member
Username: Rkjones84

Post Number: 24
I from time to time ask questions on here but generally no one ever answers them...but anyway I will try again anyway...I have a two kicker cvr 10 inch subs with dual 2 ohm coils. My question is why do my speakers cut out when they hit. The amp is a kenwood kac-8152d. It only does it when i put a cd in a turn up the volume it doesn't do it on the radio. I have a 99 f-150 reg cab so i don't know if its due to the enclosure or what i don't have alot of room to work with. It just sounds like the cd player is skipping or something. I don't know any help would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4863
how do you have your subs wired? You can turn your radio up loud and this doesnt happen?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
They are wired to 2 ohms, series/parallel..no it happens when i turn up the volume. also i don't even know what to set the gain or the hz to.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4865
well what head unit do you have? you want to match your HU's pre out voltage to your amps input voltage. as far as HZ you want to run your low pass x-over and set it to 80 hz is a good starting point. some people go up to 100 some as low as 60.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10946
first guess: amp gain set too high, amp clips, goes into thermal protection.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
i have a kenwood kdc-mp228 hu, how do i match? and for the thermal protection it doesn't seem to be going into it the red light glows the whole time... when ur amp clips does it cause all the speakers to act as if the cd player skipped if so that is what it is doing

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
i dunno it beats me, were just now getting into clippers and clampers at school so maybe i'll be able to figure it out in a couple of weeks

Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 3
find out somewhere online what your pre out voltage on your head unit is and set the gains to that, if you cannot find this information then:

1. turn you gain all the way down
2. turn you radio up to the highest you will ever listen to it.
3. tweak the gain until you hear distortion or clipping

This insures that your radio will probably not clip due to high volume because you should never go past that volume that you tested it at.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
i found that the pre out voltage is 2 volts

Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 8
okay then, on your amp the gain will turn from a certian voltage to another, you want to find out where 2 volts would be in that dial and set it to that, and volia your gains are set

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
aight drunkbob, i went out and took the cover off, and i got LPF Frequency(HZ) knob which consists of 50,70,100,and 150. And, a Input Sensitivity Knob(V) with 4,3,2,1,.5,.3,and .2 max.. and a ISF switch with 15HZ-25HZ and a Phase switch 0-180 degrees. so explain what i need to do with all that to make it sound best, remembering i have reg. cab truck with tiny boxes behind the seats.

Silver Member
Username: Symplestiles

Stockton, CA Usa

Post Number: 488
set the LPF to 70hz and the input sensitivity to 2. dont think the ISF comes into play since you are just running a sub off the amp (not speakers), and im not sure about the phase switch... what were they set at when you first took off the cover?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
the lpf was all the way up and the input sensitivity was at max

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10965
that's your problem then

set input sens. to half way up at most.
set LPF on, and to 60-80Hz range
set phase at zero (0)
set subsonic filter to whatever your box is tuned to if it's ported.
turn off any bass boost circuits.
all set

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10966
btw, ISF is infrasonic filter.
20 or 25Hz is fine

Bronze Member

Post Number: 32
yeah well i set the gain to 2 volts and now the speakers don't hit hard at all, but it did cut out almost all of the clipping...Any suggestions on a box build or something better for a reg. cab truck? or do i need to get a hu that has lower pre-out voltage?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
glasswolf...you said cut off any bass boost circuits? do u mean the remote bass boost? when i turn it all the way down u can't even hear the speakers that much...or did you mean to just unplug it all together?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us