Is there a such thing as too big of a box?

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Phoenix, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 405
I have 2 12" Alpine Type R's...
I'm not happy with the way they hit anymore. I was at first, but I want deeper and louder bass!
Is it bad to make the enclosure bigger than that specified by Alpine? I can't go TOO big, so it has to stay sealed. Does anyone know what the best plan would be for my subs to make them sound loud and deep (rumbling,etc)?
By the way, I have a Mustang convertible... so this is a tough one for me... but if I have to, I'll shape the box so I get the cubic footage anyways. Just need to know how much is too much and how it affects the spl/sq.
thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 27
whats the best kind of box for street bass a large box or small box

Silver Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 108
For deepness lean towards the larger end recommended by the manufacture. Small sealed enclosures seen to have a knock knock kinda bass not a thump thump. Polo..

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 4904
Hey Sean the larger you go with a sealed enclosure the less power handling it takes to reach full excursion/over excursion. if you have a 1.0 cu/ft sealed and it takes 400 rms to reach xmax in that enclosure it might only take 250 at 4.0 cu/ft. those #'s are fictional but I just wanted to give you an idea. The larger you go the closer and closer you get to a IB set-up which handle the least amount of power and reach peak excursion with very little power. I don't think those subs are IB compatible but Rovin would know more about those perticular subs.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10984
Sean if that box is bigger than recommended and it's sealed, why does it have to remain sealed?
with 2 cu ft per sub, I'd go ported, with 4" ID ports tuned to 35Hz.
those subs will come to life that way.

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 42
hey glass what r better 2 bass the tube ports or the slot ports 2 get that nice deep bass

Silver Member
Username: Killerzracing71

Fredericksbutg, Virginia United states

Post Number: 297
dont mean to jack the thread but i wanted to no this too.....But i cant build a ported box in that small spot....so i am gonna stick with sealed....but that does make sinse cuz a freind of mine has the same system as me.....just bigger boxes and different car(both trunks though)mine 1.5cuft to about 3cuft...cant even stand to listen to it

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 10988
slot vents will move more air so less chane of port whistle, but you won't feel as much at low volumes. smaller round ports are better at low volumes, but at high output they can get port whistle if they're too small.
it's a trade off.. just a matter of what works for you.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 113
What about larger round ports, 4" VS 3" ? Polo

Bronze Member

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 48
4 inch pvc pipe but what kind of port will give u more bass outside of the car

Anonymous

just buy a new box.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Ct

Post Number: 4915
different size ports will change your sub box tuning freq. the bigger the port the lower the tuning, but port length plays a big role also.

Silver Member

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 116
The key here is not to buy a new box but to build a better one! :-O
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us