Off topic- WiFi

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1665
Questions bout it
1.)Is it free?
2.)WHat is it used for?
3.)Can u connect to the internet to it?, if so what speeds can you expect?

this will be for carputer

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 2246
i know verizon wireless has that service. it costs around $50 a month. i heard the speed is pretty quick too.

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 605
certain spots around town have wifi spots and if u catch it ull be able to log on to the internet.and yes its free.bring your laptop into lets say...starbucks and walla internet.must have a nic card though.

Silver Member
Username: Islandboy808

Mililani, Hawaii US

Post Number: 606
to tell u the truth i had internet for about a year FREE,cause i caught a wifi signal.untill i moved,now i cant catch anything.got dsl now.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 881
wifi can be as fast as the router that is behind it! =D

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky..GO... USA duh

Post Number: 1668
thats tight lol....any1 have any website tutorials or anything on how to do it through laptop/carputer and ur cellphone?

Bronze Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 88
WIFI is not through a carrier that is wireless internet and that relies on a stand alone receiver/tx that plugs into your laptop and you use it like a wireless modem with cell towers. This is a new service and is limited to participating areas. Now you can use your cell phone (digital) as a modem and a dial-up account but you need to contact your cell phone carrier for the software and adapter for your laptop. Also I think the dialup is limited to 28kbps, you will have to contact them for the exact speeds. Polo..

Bronze Member
Username: Lewass

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 45
I know just about everything about wifi and networking in general (cisco certified network admin), I'll trade you networking knowledge for car audio knowledge! lol.

Anyways, "wifi" is just the name for the standard wireless internet technology out right now. It can be free and it can cost $$, just depends who owns the wireless router you are nearby. Cell phone companies offer mobile "broadband" which isn't quite broadband but it is way faster than dialup. (cingular's EDGE network, and verizons 3g). other cell phone companies advertise hi speed but they are nowhere near the speed of edge or 3g. As far as being able to drive down the street with internet signal, you either need to buy verizons laptop card or move to oakland county michigan by the end of 2007. (They are making our entire county wireless :P)

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 914
im cisco certified also, as well as msce & computer engineering degree; then there is also the electrical engineering degree. =D

Bronze Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 47
Yo B, can u help answer a question for me:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/car-audio/195952.html

Username: Teddy21

Ann Arbor, MI USA

Post Number: 9
they are making the entire oakland county wireless? Is is gonna be free for everyone? If so that is awsome, ill move there right now....lol

Bronze Member

Bloomfield Hills, MI USA

Post Number: 49
I don't know all the exact details yet, apparently they already did this somewhere else though, I think I remember hearing pennsylvania somewhere? Not sure..

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 800
I'm pretty sure Philly and NYC already have full WiFi access if you have an account with whoever is running it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us