Strange

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4959
Ok on my lunch break today i went to a local car audio shop to check out the new kicker line, (CVX are great) Any way there was a guy getting his Blazer metered. He had 3 15w6's with a Precision Power PC2350, and the meter was reading 159.6 dbs, i was wtf?? Each w6 was getting around 460 rms.. Im still kinda new to the whole spl meters and all that stuff, but im trying to learn. What do u guys think

Silver Member
Username: Mixmastaspig

Canada, Canada Canada

Post Number: 360
for one amp I would have to say thats pretty crazy....

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2038
did you get a look at the meter?
if so, did the part where the numbers where displayed have red led numbers and the actual mic was a white stick?

if so, it was an old AC mic...and that would explain the high #'s.

also, where did they put the mic?
on the dash, in the kick...or in the port?

if it was in the port, 159.6db on the termlab is very possible.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4968
I looked at the meter
The numbers where displayed on a computer screen, not sure of the program.

The mic was not a white stick, it almost looked like a small black microphone. Also not sure where the mic was placed

Also in theroy if 1 sub with 1000 rms can do 150 dbs, and each sub+1000 rms u add would give u a 3db increase, correct???

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4969
what is the cut-off point, because if ^^That where correct cars with over 100,000 rms would make the earth explod.

Is there any websites besides bcae, that can explain this better

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2045
chauncey,

so the mic actually looked like a mic that you would use to sing? or was it a small black box (Termlab)?

did the computer display look like this:
http://www.termpro.com/storefront/Page605.html
^^^scroll down half-way^^^

this is the actual TL sensor:
http://www.termpro.com/storefront/prodimg/sensor640w.jpg

If they did use a termlab...my guess is that they put it in the port. i have seen quite a few ~160db vehicles...and 3 15w6's just dont seem like they would cut the mustard if you know that i mean.

i'm not saying its not possible...but it would take one h3ll of an install and alot of power to get ~160db. 2 of the 160db systems i have seen were:

-pat day's 2 MT15's w/ 8 crossfire 1000d's and 8 optima red tops in an ext. cab S10 walled.

-matt sibley's super-modified car w/ 1 MT18, super batt-cap, and an audiobahn 5000w microwave. (concrete everywhere inside the vehicle...took ~7 of us to get it on a trailor)

oh...and by the way, 160dB in the port is very easy to achive. i have done 160.1dB in the port.

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5026
yess, it looked like that on the computer screen. and im almost 95% sure it looked like a little microphone the kind u would sing in.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 923
CB the mic you would sing in, would give u a ultra high number! even if it look similar.

Notice the TL mic is flat, with no holes so air can flow through!

A regular mic, air gets in there, shakes the plate inside mic, converting sound to digital signal.
^^ this is what makes all other methods beside the TL mic read higher numbers!

3 15s hittin 159 cant be correct. lol
I can see it if they were DDs and he was giving them about 4Kw a peice! so thats about 12Kw

Im gettin ready to seriously ova power my 15s. =D
im about to get to 150, Ill be proving it soon...
But the box & subs impedance all must be correct, it just has to be a hell of a install.

It is nothing wrong over powering, as long as the current is clean, everything stays supper cool...

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2050
was the mic white or black?

if it was white it was prolly an old AC mic (the tend to read up to 6dB louder than the TL)

if it was black...i may have been a Linear-X:
http://www.linearx.com/products/microphones/m52/M52_1.htm

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5043
That looks like it almost exactly, thats the same one they used on mine 2. so it was off by up to 6 dbs. I didnt think it was very accurate with mine or his. Thanx for the help....Upload

Gold Member

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2051
actually...if i'm not mistaken, the Linear-X only meters about 1-2db higher than the TL.

where did they place the mic in the vehicle?
what did your L7's meter?
what frequency did you peak at?

Gold Member

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 5045
It was a white mic
The guy said it was metered at the "kick"
The meter said 161.3
49hz<<I think
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums