My subs are smokin

Jack Dilan
Unregistered guest
i have 2 12's kicker l5s dual 2 ohm hooked up to a hifonics bx1600d amp wired to 2 ohms parallel
it pushes 1600 rms at 1 ohm and 1100 at 2 ohm

Is that the right connection or is it wrong
i have 0 gauge wiring

my subs started smokin after a cuple min of use

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2018
sounds like your were clipping the h3ll out of the amp.

#1...did you set your gain correctly? or did you just peg them out and hope for the best?
#2...do you get a drop in DC voltage when the bass hits?
#3...do you have an HO alt and a deep cycle batt?

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana USA

Post Number: 2019
by the way...if you have DVC2ohm subs and you wire them in parrallel, that will give you a 0.5ohm load.

you should have them wired in series-parrallel. (2ohms)

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1115
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp =Dual+Voice+Coil+-+2+ohms+x+2

Those are the only configurations that you can have. I'm sure you were jsut clipping the subs very badly. The kicker L5 and L7 subs are built poorly. Nothing like the round subs.

Jack Dilan
Unregistered guest
i wired them how they show on that rockford site to 2 ohms and wat should i set the gains to
i didnt put them all the way up just to 75% with only 3db bass boost

thanks for ur help

Jack Dilan
Unregistered guest
do i need to get a different amp or is this one good for them

Silver Member
Username: Young_james

Canada

Post Number: 744
I think you should worry about the subs more.....Do they still work??

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 901
lol yeh.. smoke usually means its dead or almost dead.. my 75% up you mean the gain was set at 75% up? it should be no more than a half at the most

Silver Member
Username: Lexuscoop

Post Number: 645
ouch.... dude, check your wireing and all that.... don't worry about the amp... subs are more important, if THEY are smoking

Jack Dilan
Unregistered guest
the reason why im not worried bout the subs is becuase i have warranty and can get new ones

So i wanna kno wat i should do next time when i get the new ones. if u can send me a wiring diagram and tell me what i should set my amp to and everything that would help alot

thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 74
You think if you smoke them they are just gonna give you new ones? That's funny! Look under the warrantee, it is under "signs of abuse",lol. Polo..

Jack Dilan
Unregistered guest
well even if they dont replace it i can get new ones.

These still work too and i wanna kno what i should set my amp to; gains,low pass filter, subsonic filter, bass boost, etc. I also want to kno how i should wire the speakers up too.
Do i need a different amp too or is this one fine?

Thanks

Jack Dilan
Unregistered guest
bump

Jack Dilan
Unregistered guest
can you also explain how i was clipping the amp and what i should do so i dont clip it.

Silver Member
Username: 420pimp2

Post Number: 268
that sucks

Jack Dilan
Unregistered guest
so i still dont understand what i should do to solve this problem. What do i need to get to fix this any help would be appreciated.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4835
what head unit do you have? what is the pre out voltage of your Head unit? you need to match it to your amps input. Sounds like you clipped the hell out of your subs!!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us