DVC or SVC?

Bronze Member
Username: Jbump

Nebraska City, Nebraska USA

Post Number: 37
Whats the best, 4 ohm DVC parallel to 2 ohm or a 2 ohm DVC with one coil wired for 2 ohms?

Anonymous

dude , go read www.bcae1.com b4 u come here 2 ask such a generic question

Bronze Member
Username: Alteraudiousa

Concord

Post Number: 42
well sorry but a DVC 2ohm wired in series gives you a 4ohm load not a 2ohm load, so if you need to go to a 2ohm load either a svc 2ohm or a dvc 4ohm or a dvc 1ohm in series. I'd go here if you need to learn about wiring a sub in different configurations

http://www.edesignaudio.com/wiring.php

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
No, you got me wrong, i mean does it make a difference if you get a DVC 4 ohm wired with the VCs **parallel** (not series), for 2 ohm stereo stable amps, or could i go with a DVC 2 ohm sub and only wire one voice coil for the same amp, or is it hard on the sub not to use both VCs..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
Maybe anon should read the site too, so it can understand what i'm talkin about..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
2 ohm DVC cheaper than 4 ohm DVC...

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 65
if you only hook up one VC on a DVC 2ohm sub than you're effectively wiring it in series. There is not a way to get a 2ohm load from a dvc 2ohm sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
Wouldn't it be 2 ohm per coil.....

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 778
You should wire all VCs that are on a sub or you can potentially cause damage.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4728
He is talking about wiring it stereo I believe. 1 vc to one chan and the other to the other chan? If this is what you are talking about then yes you can run a dual 2ohm coil to a 2 chan 2ohm stereo stable amp.

Gold Member
Username: Mikechec9

Http://www.cardomain.c...

Post Number: 2078
you can certainly only wire one vc on a dvc sub. while the field produced from powering both vc combines to form one net force driving the cone forward, pushing one vc simply pushes the driver with half the power. also, the sub will have an increase in Qts (peakier resonance). since the sub wasn't intentionally designed to have this effect, you will likely not like the results. but there are/can be advantages. if you were to place a resistor on that open vc, you could adjust your Q with a knob. a useful option to some.
regardless, there is no harm in running one vc. and yes, it would be driving the sub at whatever impedence it has per-vc (since you will be running only one vc).

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5288
If you HAVE to use only one VC, then short out the other one.
Double check with the sub's manufacturer. Some will warn you to not use only one VC.

Bronze Member

Concord

Post Number: 75
like Mike said a resistor is required and thats something that most don't do. I believe AA has it on their high end subs IIRC but wiring just one VC without a resistor can cause problems. Too many times have i read and heard stories of shops like CC or BB doing that and messing people up. Also i don't think most companies will warrant any problems if wired in this manner, but i'd check before you do it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2079
"Some will warn you to not use only one VC"

this isn't with concern to damaging the speaker so much as it is to the resulting lack in performance. again, you will only be driving the sub with 1/2 the power which typically results in a 3db drop in output. then, as stated, the Qes rises.

"If you HAVE to use only one VC, then short out the other one."

agreed. this will solve the resonance issue.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Guess 4 ohm DVC would be better for output and less risk.. alright, thanks guys....
Bump..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2083
didn't realize it was actually an option. went straight past the first thread:-)
good discussion is rare on here as of late.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 780
Yea, the last post I read on something like this said to not use only one VC on a multiple VC sub due to potential damage. Learn something new everyday :-)

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 1299
there is a reason there are 2 vc's, it is always better to use the equipment for how they were built to run. the best thing to do is find your amp that you want to run or have and then match subs up to that.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
Alpine Type-Rs don't have 2 ohm SVC and the 2 ohm DVCs are cheaper...money kinda tight...:-(
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us