Did i blow my subs or short them?

Username: Carajean

Post Number: 7
Ok mu subs were working fine then i went to make room in trunk to put food in there so i pushed them back a little bit cause i know my amp is behind them. and i heard a little pop. my subs came back on but they DO NOT hit as hard as they use to. I did not install this myself and that guy that did is to far away from me to consider letting him fix them. I listen to the subs and it seems as if i get more vocals out of them then the hard hitting sound i use to have. My though is either the above title of this post or maybe something blew on the amp its self. i have a 800 watt amp pushing 2 12's.

Post Number: 8
Please help me out I want all my speakers to work finally :-)

Bronze Member
Username: Kravenblood

Ohio

Post Number: 29
Maybe hit the crossover switch (if it has one depending on amp) check and see if there is a little switch that has lpf hpf. if it does make sure its on the lpf and not hpf if you need to do it do it with the stereo off

Silver Member
Username: Purplehase_bong

BC Canada

Post Number: 224
get yourself a Ohm/volt meter. Then check your subs for ohm resistance. After turn ur amp on and put ur deck to max volume and check it for the voltage it puts out. When ur done post the numbers.

Bronze Member
Username: Luke5513

Post Number: 73
most good audio shops will take a volt meter to it for free, they should be able to tell you whats wrong with it.

Post Number: 9
ok i will try and get to a shop and get that tested. but i work from 10 to 7 and most shops around here close at 6. If someone could give me a detailed how to im a girl and dont know to much about electrical things.

Post Number: 10
Ok i tested both amps and volts.

Amps i got nothing

Volts i got between 22 - 24

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
i did not check the ohms cuase i didnt know how to do that also i was kinda scared.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 800
go get someone with experience, u have no clue to what you are doing sweety.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 801
also sounds like u blew the fuse in your meter. lol
current is measured in series, voltage in paralell

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Is there a guide somewhere that I can look at im not totally stupid. I connected the wires corretly hot to hot etc. Can u explain what ur talking about series and paralell? I just need atiny bit of help quickly.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 809
sorry, did u make sure that the dmm was on the correct voltage scale reading dc voltage?

u said:

Ok i tested both amps and volts.
Amps i got nothing
Volts i got between 22 - 24

now i hope u didnt have hot hot when u tested for amps. <that would fry the internal fuse of a dmm.
it will also make a dmm read incorrect voltage after that.

how did u measure 22 volts in a car is not correct at all, the car use a 12 volt system.

When you have your meter in ohm setting, zero the meter. this is done by holding 2 probes together. what does the meter say?
if it dont say 0 ohms, its something internally wrong with it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Ok thanks B for workin with me when i hold the 2 probes together at the 200 ohms selction i get 00.3 for my reading.

I need more info what is the dmm?

Ok the way my speakers are hooked up i got the silver gauge running from the positive and the red from the negative. So the red probe went on the silver and the black probe on the red gauge wire. Also my friend told me to hook my ipod straight to the amp and when i did that my subs were putting out a garbled sound. tonight i will try my roomies amp and see what happens.
Hey B if u could keep helpin me i would be forever grateful.

Silver Member

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 812
Dmm is a Digital Multi Meter. Its a electricians best friend.
Your DMM zeroed out to 0.3 so its not to far off. It still works.
When you measure the subs for ohms(resistance) make sure its disconected from the amplifier, cause you will aslo be measureing the amplifiers interneal resistance!
Try your romates amp see what happens. Ill keep checkin the post to help you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us