Advice on a first system?

Anonymous

I've done a lot more reading than I'd have liked to, but I think I've finally decided on what I want. I listen to a lot of classic/modern rock and alternative. I'm looking for a system that'll get loud, but has good sq, in a standard cab truck with limited space, and cheaper is better. So this is what I came up with:

PIONEER DEH-P770MP: $200
Focal 165CV1 6.5" in the doors: $175
Infinity 6412CV 4x6 in the dash: $50
MTX MXA8001: $220
2 Adire Shivas in ~1 cubic truck boxes: $250

Any yay's or nay's before I start throwing money around? Also, anybody know how long the shivas might take through speedsound.com, they're on backorder. Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2582
Not a bad system overall.

I'm curious, however. From the looks of it, you don't plan on rear fill-which is a good choice.

I'm not sure if you really need the 4x6's in the dash with the Focals. Personally, I would cut the 4x6's and invest the $50 into a better set of door speakers-component type if possible. Additionally, consider saving up for an external amp to run the door speakers. The Focals especially will sound better and will do better at keeping up with the subs with an external amp.

The MTX would be a good way to go, and at that price it's a great deal as well. Just make sure you've checked out the Rockford Fosgate equivalents as those are usually going to be better for the price (even if they do cost a bit more).

I can't help you with speedsound.com as I've never purchased anything from them...

Anonymous

Thanks a bunch! Will definetly consider.

Do you think the Focal 165v2 component system would be better? I can get that for $250.

I was planning to replace the stock 4x6's in the dash and cutting up the doors for the 6x5's. I thought the higher 4x6's up top with the mids in the door would be would be good, but if you don't think I'd need them I'll definetly reconsider.

Thanks again.

Bronze Member
Username: Sevenasterisks

Post Number: 11
I would definately say go for the 165v2 components. I have those speakers, and they sound really really good. don't bother with 4x6's, I doubt they would help anything, but that might be a good place to put the tweeters. Also, consider getting an amplifier for the components, since almost anything is better than deck power.

Anonymous

Alright. The 4x6's are gone, components goin in. I looked into Rockford fosgates, and couldn't find one that did 800 at 2 ohms bridged, except the newer T8002, which would cost twice as much as the mtx I was going for. I'd really like to do about 400 each, and I don't want to give up the shivas, since it took me so long to choose them over everything else I looked at. I'll probably try rf for the components though. Thanks for all the advice.

Anonymous

one question, the component system says nominal power is 60w. is that 60w total, or 60 per side..? What size amp would you recommend?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us