ID MAX 12 / Sealed or Ported ? / What amp ? / jonathan..

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2847
Im gonna go with the ID MAX 12 / probably the dual 2 ohm versian so that i can have it wired to 4 ohm to match the amp and get the lowest thd out of the amp.

Jonathan / Whould your recommend sealed or ported for this ID MAX 12 ?

Heres what ID recommends

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/spec.php?type=encspec&id=IDMAX12D2%20V.

Here is the actual spec sheet pdf jonathan

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/pdf/IDMAX12-V3-D2-spec.pdf

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2848
ALS0

Which Arc Audio amp whould you suggest for a single ID MAX 12 ???

http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/amplifiers.htm

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5433
Ported, 2.5 net tuned to 25hz, or 2.25 cu ft net tuned to 28. Sealed, 1.25 cu ft is great. Ideally I'd go ported if the room was there.

1500 XXK would do it. KAR 900.1D would do it as well, I'd recommend running a 2 ohm load to give it 750W.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2849
What if i decide to put it in a trunk of a car like a accord or camry, whould I then be better off going with the smaller box and tuning it to 28hz or stick with the larger box and tune it to 25hz. I should have the space available.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2850
Im trying to decide between the XXK-1500 and the KAR 900.1D

It looks like the XXK is class ab and the Kar is class D

Why do you recommend to run it at 2 ohm and give it 700w instead ?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2851
Ok ive narrowed it down to the KAR 900.1D and the KAR 1000.2T

You still think i should stick with the 900.1D over the 1000.2T ?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2852
let me know soon because im gonna order it either tonight or tommorow.

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 284
mo i think the 1500 is class t

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5434
Stick with the 900.1D. You don't need more than 750W for an ID Max, 1000W is pushing it in typical enclosures. Remember 1000W is a thermal rating.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2853
Jonathan, the funny thing is that the 1000.2T cost less then the 900.1D / Its around $429 shipped for the 900.1D and and $426 shipped for the 1000.2T but ill go with the 900.1D / Thanks

What if i decide to put it in a trunk of a car like a accord or camry, whould I then be better off going with the smaller box and tuning it to 28hz or stick with the larger box and tune it to 25hz. I should have the space available.

Silver Member
Username: Lil_jon

Post Number: 287
does the ID have better sq then the w7?

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2854
Yes It Does have better SQ.

Jonathan, the funny thing is that the 1000.2T cost less then the 900.1D / Its around $429 shipped for the 900.1D and and $426 shipped for the 1000.2T but ill go with the 900.1D / Thanks

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2855
Also jonathan, here is what jason from arc audio emailed me about the 1000.2T

confirmed at 1000 X 1 @ 2 ohm and 900 x 1 @ 4 ohm

you could do 1 dvc2 @4 ohm bridged@900 watts and have
the flexibility of adding another later if you wanted.

Thanks,
Jason
ARC Audio

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5438
That's very true. In that case, the 1000.2T is the better option. I thought the 1000.2T was more expensive, I was mistaken, though. You'll get good results with either.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2861

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2862

Also you think its ok to put 900 rms to it or stick with 700 rms if i go ported ? Depending on which amp to go with since the 1000.2T is cheaper and has more power.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2863
let me know jonathan.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5443
"What if i decide to put it in a trunk of a car like a accord or camry, whould I then be better off going with the smaller box and tuning it to 28hz or stick with the larger box and tune it to 25hz. I should have the space available."

I'd go with the larger box if you're willing to fit it. Either will sound great.

900W RMS will be fine, just make sure you aren't bottoming out the driver. Good thing is it can take the power thermally, so if you're overdriving it you'll get an audible warning (distortion) while likely not burning up the voice coil.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2865
I can always add another ID MAX 12 later and go 1000 x 1 @ 2 ohm and go 500 watts per sub but for right now im looking to stay with 1 SUB setup in a trunk of accord or camry.

Just trying to decide on the smaller box at 28hz and the larger box at 25 hz and which will give me better results in this type of car. I believe i will be able to fit in either box with no problems.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2866
How much of a differance whould i get from 25hz to 28 hz comparing both ported boxes ? I listen to all kinds of music.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2868
Here is what Eric Stevens replyed to me from the imagedynamics forum

I am emailing a slot ported box design to you. 2.5 @ 30hz

I suggest using 2.5 cuft tuned to 28 or 30 hz.

Image Dynamics
310-856-4999

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2873
what do you think about that suggestion jonathan ?

He is saying 2.5cuft tuned to 28 or 30hz

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5195
MO, the reason why he's suggesting 28Hz - 30Hz is, the sub reaches maximum peak at that frequency. Look at the chart.
It'll still be loud at 25Hz though.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2875
Yeah it seems like it whould. He is there tech guy so im kinda deciding on 25hz-28hz right now. Like i said i listen to rap and everything else so what whould suit me best if its going in a trunk of my car ? Whats the differance in sound from 25hz to 28hz or 30hz ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5201
At 25Hz, you will get low bass, the ones you hear in Dolby Digital surround sound. 30Hz and above are good with rap songs (35Hz -40Hz is best).
If you listen to rap mostly, then 30Hz and will suit you better. If you listen to others, then 25Hz - 28Hz is the target.
Depending on your trunk's characteristics, it might drown out the low bass. Try running some test tones. You'll see in some trunks, 80Hz and below are almost silent.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2879
What whould you do in a trunk style like mine with this sub/box setup ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 5203
I'd do the test first, and then determine the optimal frequency response for your trunk. If you can't do that, then 30Hz would do.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5204
One more thing, lot of the rap has bass around 40Hz - 60Hz. You can double check with RTA.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2880
Isaac, how can you find out the optimal frequency response for my trunk. I cant do that probably so your saying i should stick to 30hz for my trunk.

Also will this ID MAX 12 ported at 2.5 cuft @30hz be louder then my 2 JL 12w6v2's sealed prowedge in your opinion. I know the SQ is amazing on both of these subs.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5205
This is what I have discovered. At low volume, all the frequencies will sound good. As you increase the power, the 25Hz - 30Hz low bass notes to get drowned by 80Hz - 120Hz.
I've done several tests with test tones, 300Hz - 20Hz. Depending on the car's trunk design, some amplified 120Hz much more than 40Hz.
Something to think about.
I am not sure if one ID Max will be louder than 2 JLs. Only way to know for sure is to test one.
The only box that I know from experience is JL's HO box. It does make the sub sound louder.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2881
?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5455
"Also will this ID MAX 12 ported at 2.5 cuft @30hz be louder then my 2 JL 12w6v2's sealed prowedge in your opinion. I know the SQ is amazing on both of these subs."

Doubt it. I'd say he'd have around 3db on you or so. ID Max and W6v2 apples to apples are pretty close to one another in SPL, with the ID Max slightly outdoing it. Porting a sub is roughly a 3db increase. Adding a sub and having twice the total power is a 6db increase. 2 sealed subs of similar SPL will outdo a single ported one.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2885
I havent found a setup to this day that ive liked more then 2 12w6v2's sealed in prowedge jl box. Im not sure how the ID MAX 12 ported will compare to this.

IM also gonna check out the Eclipse Ti 15 sealed at 2.25 cuft sealed soon also and see how that compares to this.

Gold Member

Post Number: 5210
While you're at it, check out JL12W7 in HO box.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2890
Yes but i hate how the box is way to big and heavy. Hate big boxes.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2902
Jonathan, Im gonna endup making a sealed box for this also. What size whould you suggest for this subwoofer sealed and how many watts rms sealed ?

Polyfill ?

Again its going in a trunk.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5472
The recommended sealed box, which is 1.3 cu ft gross. No polyfill necessary.

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2904
How is the low end and spl and sq of the id max 12 sealed compared to a jl 12w6v2 sealed or the jl 12w7 sealed for that matter

Gold Member

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 2909
?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5478
SQ and low end is about that of a W6v2. Low end isn't as good as a W7. SPL is in-between the W6v2 and W7.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us