Ported and sealed

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1899
i had my type xs in a ported box. when i played a certain trance music the bass would hit slightly behind the beat. it does it on a song with real fast bass beat. after i changed it to sealed it was fine. i just want to know why it does that in a ported box.

Bronze Member
Username: Jemone

Stone Mountain, Georgia United States

Post Number: 24
as a rule speakers have less cone control in a ported enclosure. I have known people who have blown 500rms speakers with 400 watts in ported boxes. you also have to make sure the speaker is designed for ported enclosures and that the box you put them in is built to speaker specs.

Silver Member
Username: Jakeyplaysbass

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 465
My type Xs hit fine in a ported box. ive never noticed them missing or behind on any notes. i completely agree that they sonud alot better in sealed though.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1901
jake have you played some trance music with some fast bass beats? other musics are fine. i have a couple of songs with some real fast beats and those are the ones that do that. in sealed it is fine. its hits exact.

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 468
give me a few songs to DL and ill try it. i play alot of punk in my car and it takes it fine but ill try anything you want.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1902
lol you don't have to if you don't want to. lol. which groups do you like. i like 7 seconds, dk, suicidal tendencies, tsol, etc... the old stuff. all the music sounds fine but its just a few trance music with fast beat. one of the song i am talking about is "listen to your heart" by dht. that song seems like it hits behind the beat a little. you have to really pay attention to the bass though.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 846
its most likely the subwoofer (type x ) being in the ported box.. they are meant to be in sealed boxes as they have a very high Qts... im guessing it couldnt react as fast in a ported box.. while in the sealed it acts as a suspension for it and helps the cone rebound.. just a guess though id like to know why to by one of the pros

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1903
btw mark, my sub is sounding better now that it had time to break in. also its in sealed now so i am not stressing over the bass hitting behind the beat cause in sealed it sounds perfect. but i also want to hear an explanation for this.

Gold Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 1083
or you could do both, single reflex band pass enclouser i really don't know much about them but they make your subs very efficent, and deleiver low and loud bass.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 853
yeh damnit glasswolf and jonothan should constantly be browsing all posts for these things

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1911
i always wanted to know how my subs would sound in a bandpass enclosure.

Gold Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Wellsburg, WV USA

Post Number: 1091
Ok, if you want some seriously fast beats, listen to just about any song by Between the Buried and Me.

It's a band who has succesfully put together MANY different genres of metal, from death to hardcore.

But really, their drummer does 32nd notes on bass drum with ease.

Although, this matches nothing to techno probably...

Silver Member

St. Louis, MO

Post Number: 469
i actually listen to Listen to Your Heart all the time! haha not really proud to admit it but when you feel a little 80s and or techno mix its perfect. it sounds good in my car but maybe it was just your box. were our subs broken in when they were in the ported box? maybe that had something to do with it.

Gold Member

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1912
it sounds good now with the sealed box. but you may be right. i had it in the ported box when i first got the sub so they weren't broken in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us