Change sealed box with a ported box and NO BASS :-(

Silver Member
Username: Panamanian

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 178
I had a sealed single box for one subwoofer 10"
While trying to increase my bass i bought another box for two 10" subwoofer, but now PORTED.

Had my 2 channels amp (200w rms x 2) bridged into 500w rms x 1, then i unbridge it with for this new subwoofer for a total of 2 10" subwoofers with my ported box, but I GET NO BASS AT ALL, very little bass. (the same or less than my 6x9).

I know the manufacture was recommened a sealed box, but I thought 2 subwoofer in a ported box would give better bass.

the subwoofers are the same model, both at 330w rms (moved by 200w rms each channel).

WHAT COULD BE WRONG?
thanks

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky.. USA duh

Post Number: 1504
a leak sumwheres?

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 490
just stuff something into the port, like a shirt!
but they sell precut rubber peices to fit certain port sizes.

now why would it be softer than a sealed box?
what kind of subs are they?>
what kind of amp?

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1531
its ported..... i doubt it has a leak problem lol...

Uh lets see.. do you know what its tuned too? Might be a phase problem also.

Gold Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 1072
did you say that the box is a dual ported box but you only have one subwoofer in it? if so then that's your problem

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 772
Panamanian,

You need to read and learn how enclosures work, and are calculated. No offense but just because you put your woofers in a ported enclosure doesnt mean you will get more or lower bass. It just doesnt work out that way.

A sealed enclosure will give you more bass and lower bass as you make the box bigger. This is true up to a certain point.

A ported enclosure works differently. A bigger box doesnt mean that it will give you more bass or lower bass for that matter. The same goes for the port. A ported box is calculated very precisely, and if you do not follow the guidelines, then you will get a terrible result.

Go read a book about enclosures. Read online at www.bcae1.com. You will not become a guiniess overnight. You will not get the answers you are looking for right away. Sometimes it will take you years to figure out certain things.

Yes it seems like such a simple thing. You have a speaker, put it in a bigger box, WHALLAH, BOOM. Ha Ha it doesnt work that way.

If the manufacturer recommends that a speaker be used in a sealed enclosure it may be because there is a reason for it. Like I said, go do some reading, and do not build something before you fully understand the process. This way you will not have a problem.

Silver Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 180
Thanks guys for answering, one of the wpeaker was wrong wired, I didnt know one could affect the other, now I get mucho bass.

gracias

Silver Member

Panama cityPanama

Post Number: 181
also could someone technically explain me why misconnecting the wires make the subwoofer or any speaker to be weaker?

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 959
Did you accidently put the - into the + terminal or vice versa?

I did that once and almost peed myself laughing after I figured out what had happened, because my wire was gold for both + and -, and the markings on the insulation were small, so I didn't notice.

What you'll notice is the woofers pop out, and like you said, very little bass no matter what you do. Try switching around the wires at the terminals.

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 494
you wired your subs out of phase.
you dont want to do that no more.
okay
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us