Wiring six 4ohm DVC sub to dual output Mono amp (Orion 2500d)

Silver Member
Username: Invictuz

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 174
Question: What Ohm impedance will i have from wiring six 4ohm DVC subs to an Orion 2500d.

The 2500d has 2 outputs (two seperate positive and negative speaker connections even though it is a mono amp)

So if i were to wire six 4ohm DVC together i would come up with an impendance of .33 ohm (if connecting to a single output mono amp).

HOWEVER

Because the amp had dual output i have to wire three speakers to a connection.
Three 4ohm DVC subs wired parallel and parallel give me a .67ohm impendance.

.33ohm is too low.
.67ohm seems to ok for daily drivers (see link below)

I called and email DEI but have not received an answer in 2 weeks.

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/archive/index.php/t-232594.html

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 788
orion, dei will not tell you to run it at that load, 1ohm only....liability issues.if you wire three of them series/parrale it has a 2.666load, then wire the other three the same way, then series each set together.

Silver Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 175
i am trying to get a load of between .5 and 1 ohm.

anyone ever wired 6 DVC 4ohm subs to a dual output mono amp

Silver Member
Username: Qcsfinest

Charlotte, North Carolina

Post Number: 139
you can six dvc subs to 1.3 Ohms (series) or .33 in parallel...

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=161

Silver Member
Username: Qcsfinest

Charlotte, North Carolina

Post Number: 140
*you can do six*

sorry about that.

Silver Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 176
yes, i am aware of that it can be done.

My question is "what is the impedance when hooking six 4ohm DVC subs up to a DUAL output mono amp (such as the Orion 2500d)?"

In other words i have to hook three 4ohm DVC subs to one amp output and three 4ohm DVC subs to the other amp output.

Will this affect impedance as i have to wire parallel/parallel in two sets of three subs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 794
That amp has an internal feature that auto bridges the amp, it only sees a mono load. and I would not run that at .5 for long, it is not made like the old HCCA amps.

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 143
those two sets of connections are parallel inside the amp. Schematically it's the same connection, just a y at the end so you can easily run more than 1 speaker lead.

The least confusing way imo would be to wire the subs in two sets of 3 - each set series/parallel for 2.67 ohms. Then 2 sets of speaker leads from the amp to each set of 3 subs - that parallels them for 1.33 ohms.

Silver Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 177
Thank you Opti...thats what i was looking for regarding how the 2 sets of outputs were wired...

my goals is to hit something between 1 and .5 ohm...

in theory could you wire all six subs to 1 set of outputs (leaving the second set unused)?

Silver Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 154
yeah, just like the JL diagram - 2nd from the bottom.

Silver Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 182

Silver Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 184
thanks again

Silver Member
Username: Redbone15367

Mo U.S.A.

Post Number: 110
OPTI
are you sure about the leads being parallel inside? I just got mine (used) and no paper work with it. I'm running a re mt 15 on it(dual .7 ohm.) and it runs it pretty hard, but the amp doesn't get hot, but will cut out on realy high volumes, for a split second.

Silver Member

Post Number: 928
it bridges it internal, and if you do not have enough voltage your going to have it cut out.

Silver Member

Mo U.S.A.

Post Number: 112
i have 2 alts and 2 bats. 1 just for the amp. that would be running at .35 ohm

Silver Member

Post Number: 931
amp is at to low of impedance then...

Silver Member

Mo U.S.A.

Post Number: 113
I think I will change to series see if that helps this is only half of what i'm putting in.Upload

Upload
this is all unfinished. The metal is 2 24g sheets glued and then renforced together. made a big differnce on sound. will have it meterd on tues.Upload

Silver Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 191
Red: how hard was it to install the second alternator? i have been considered removing my AC and putting a second alternator there...
also: are you saying your speaker box is build of metal? did you line the interior with anything? how does the bass sound?

Silver Member

Mo U.S.A.

Post Number: 116
the box is 3/4 paricle board, I just made a scoop for the box. I did duble up on thickness of the wood. glued and screwed heavy. I had tomuch noise from back of the cab, and the glass wanted to move tomuch. By doing this I lessend the presser lose, or redirected it up front.It sounds great. better than without it. The metal is renforced(braces) and expanding foam. As for the alt my ac never worked so out it came. I welded in 1 brace for it changed belt sizes and it works. Do you have a chevy 350?Upload
Upload
Upload
It's not that hard if you have the tools

Silver Member

Seattle, Wa Usa

Post Number: 200
i am not a welder..so will look for an adapter bracket.

It s jeep ZJ (318ci / 5.2liter).
It doesnt appear that it would too difficult to swap an alternator with the AC...and i already have 2 belts sizes ...standard and 1 to bypass AC in winter for gas mileage)

thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us