Help with 3 subs!

Username: Legendx

Post Number: 4
i have 3 10" MTX subs, they are single voice coil and 4ohm stable each. i was wonder if there is a way to hook them up to one amp. i kno you can hook them up to a 1 ohm stable amp but is there anyway i can hook them to a 2ohm monoblock. if so how? thanks

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 4260
u can only make a 1.34 ohm load or 12 ohm load so ur amp will have to be 1 ohm stable. But if u plan on running it at 12 ohms (which is crazy)ur amp will be stable at 4, 2, or 1 ohm mono

Username: Legendx

Post Number: 5
i heard from a local car audio store that you can hook it up to a 2ohm mono. the guy said i had to hook up 2 series and one parallel...or viceversa...i cant recall exactly, but it somwhere along those lines.

Silver Member
Username: Tdbdadrummer

Post Number: 953
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs =3&impedance=SVC4

Check it out.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 565
Tom, that would NOT be a good idea.

If you have two subs in series, they're presenting an 8 ohm load, then wire the one in paralell, and then you're presenting a final of 2.67 ohm load.

However, the two speakers in series, will only recieve 1/3 of the power, while the single sub wired in parallel to the series connection, will recieve 2/3 of hte power.

So if you are using an amp that puts out 300 watts at that impedance... ... and your setup is like this..

Upload

Then you're going to end up with this...

Upload

So it's a bad, bad idea. :-) And it'll sound like crap, too.

Silver Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 567
You could try running it in 1.3 ohm, some amps work at a lower impedance than they're rated...others dont.. (For instance I'm running my hifonics 1605D at a .7 ohm load just fine)

Silver Member
Username: B101

Queen City, NC USA

Post Number: 447
^^ lol
like Seth Lowe said, all you will be creating is a Voltage-Divider. You will be giving more power to 1 sub..
They all neeed even amount of power.
If you do it, u risk blowing 1 alot faster.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us