Is this a beneficial design for a subwoofer box

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 4046
a sealed variovent enclosure to reduce required sealed box size then add a aperiodic mat design to the front of the enclosure where the subwoofer mounts id do this for sq purposes then add a bottom exiting port front firing to tune for emphasized low end response and gain the benefits of the increased response gain by ported enclosures ....My goal is to gain all the benefits of all three types of enclosures in one

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 720
The best things in life are simple.

Your intention has its advantages, but is it worth the risk?

IMHO, I believe that you will have multi-resoning peaks and dips.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4047
ok thanks very much mixneffect honest answers are always best

Gold Member

Post Number: 4048
I guess one thing i can do is make it all removable or sealed that way id still have a sealed box and be able to test the box idea out

Gold Member

Post Number: 4050
make the mat removable the port able to be sealed and the sealed box on the larger side but place things inside the box to reduce the box volume inside and if i want the box size back just remove the internal stuff again

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Betsy layne, Kentucky.. USA duh

Post Number: 1361
sean...explain this 2 me lol...sounds interesting

Gold Member

Post Number: 4052
and a sealed plate for the variovent...and a removable face for the sub so i dont have to screw it in and out and risk the subwoofer

Gold Member

Post Number: 4053
playin poker tourney ill get back to ya on all this in a sec

Gold Member

Post Number: 4054
ok what do you need to know?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1362
a sealed variovent enclosure to reduce required sealed box size then add a aperiodic mat design to the front of the enclosure where the subwoofer mounts id do this for sq purposes then add a bottom exiting port front firing to tune for emphasized low end response and gain the benefits of the increased response gain by ported enclosures ....My goal is to gain all the benefits of all three types of enclosures in one

explain plz lol...(the design)
lol poker tourney

Gold Member

Post Number: 4055
lemme see if i can get some sites together and youll understand where im going with this whole idea

Gold Member

Post Number: 1363
good good......

Gold Member

Post Number: 4056
ok heres the site on the variovent idea

Heres a qoute from the article

"The variovent is nothing more than a 4" plastic (ABS) drain fixture stuffed with a 2" thick piece of open cell foam. Seemed to work pretty good on the first try so I didn't bother with further tuning. It was flush-mounted and held in place with caulk."

and heres the website if you read all of what he has to share youll see actual computer results and an expalnation on how much he believed it increased the box size the woofer thought it was in plus youll see an impedance drop where things werent so smooth

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/kidder/Audio/SubWoofer1/Subwoofer1.htm

ok now the ap mat idea

http://www.maximacar.com/aperiodic.htm

"Membrane couples well to woofer.

Benefits....Reduced 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortions"

and ported speaks for itself on the benefits but my main goal is to enhance the extreme low end

in theory this would be a good sq minded box with decent output and could be adjusted various ways with planning if need be

hence... removable mounting boards so i dont have to screw the woofer in and out (just the front panel)

a port that was tuned to a specific tune but could be sealed with a solid plate that would go over the port (so i could go sealed if I wanted to)

a solid plate for the variovent hole if i wanted that sealed (all of thes idea could be flush mounted to keep pleasant appearance)

Also for the ap mat i could make that removable if I wanted it to also ( I could also change my mat to adjust thickness that way also (for tuning)

there you have it LOL

Upload

The picture is for the ap mat idea

Gold Member

Post Number: 4057
i forgot to mention also that I could add things inside the box also to reduce the encosure size for testing then with the removable front baffle I could take it out again or whatever I wanted (all this for testing flexabilty but still have a usable box if all else failed)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1365
from wat i read it seems colmplicated....2 complicated 4 me, im stayting ported:-)or sealed:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 4058
its not really but for me its all about fun and experimentation......im tired of sealed ported bandpass being the only choices and EVERYONE having the same thing....I want something unique and creative

Gold Member

Post Number: 4059
hows your box idea coming along?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1366
lol still in the design process...but for the test id say ima get just a plain old crappy sony or lightning audio sub for experiment...also i need 2 pick up a router and a couple sheets of MDF.
Im still reseraching belive it or not lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 4060
keep me posted I want to see how it works out also try to keep the wood cost down that can get expensive

Silver Member
Username: Graphix1

Santa Rosa Heights, Arima Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 403
..........um.......................my brain hurts

Gold Member

Post Number: 4061
LOL

Gold Member

Post Number: 1368
all im gettin is 2 sheets...lol i need a cheap dB meter:-(

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5237
I think you'd do be to put two 8" subs up front (say in the doors) and use AP membranes on those. Then, a 15" sub or two ported to a low frequency in rear. You'll get excellent bass definition, great low end performance, and excellent SQ due to the improved imaging and less distortion.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1371
lol sean i juist read that first one...neat, easy idea now that i think about it...the first link is wat im talkin bout

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 248
Just my 2 cents. Would you build a leaky ported box? With those ap mats the back wave needs to be totally sealed from the front wave, which isn't possible if your doing it in a regular type of sub box. On the maximacar website theere is talk of using an airspace equall to box with a qts of 1.1. If you've got that much room to play with in the first place why not build a normal box and either EQ and/or try the variovent idea. Of all the ap mat boxes I have seen and on the manufacturers website they use a box just big enough to hold the magnet. If I was doing it I think I'd prefer the mat at the rear of the speaker. I agree with jonathan that the bigger the speaker you can get in the front the better. Not really on topic but related maybe. I read a post somewere by a home hifi fanatic who for best SQ in a ported box likes to oversize his boxes and lower his port tune by 20% over what is recomended by box building programs. As this is easy to do might be worth a try.

Gold Member

Post Number: 4064
I was actually going to mount the ap mat on the front. (I think I understand that concept right) Then add the variovent for smaller box usage and use the port to focus on the low end like I said. I figure the variovent wont affect the performance of the port and the ap mat will cut down on 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortions. Am I right on all of this?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4065
im trying to do this in a all in one approach but I understand where your coming from Jonathan

Gold Member

Post Number: 1398
hey sean..for my project, how u think like a 6.5 or a 8 inch tangband woofer will work(lower model for price) and maybe like a little plate amplifier

Gold Member

Post Number: 1399
would it be alright 2 use a home audio sub and a plate amp for this project sean?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4066
sure and in my opinio id do the tangband in a transmission line enclosure

Gold Member

Post Number: 4067
you could do the tline in a cylindrical shape it would be simple to do

Gold Member

Post Number: 1400
ha ha ha sean...i found a 20 dolalr amp and i can get liek a 10 dollar sub, cheap experimentlol...u got like a 6.5-8 inch tangabnd for about 10 bux by sum chance? lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 1401
lol im talkin bout the idea lol

Gold Member

Post Number: 4068
wheres this 20 dollar amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4069
you can buy a pyramid mid bass 6.5 woofer for 10 bucks brand new that would be a good test speaker in a cylindrical tline with a plate amp

Gold Member

Post Number: 1402
lol hit me upo on aim real quick...gots sum ??????
eclipsekeen54

Gold Member

Post Number: 4070
im on where you at?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4071
heres an example of the cylindrical tline

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/subs/subs.html

Gold Member

Post Number: 1403
lol i am 2...wats ur aim again...il hit u up

Gold Member

Post Number: 4072
sean50077

Gold Member

Post Number: 1404
it says i blocked u...how do i unblock u?
it mentions som,en bout a privacy tab

Gold Member

Post Number: 4073
go to my aim edit options edit prefrences and go from there

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 249
IMO the variovent would have a big affect on the way the port works. This would increase box losses massively. I think looking at this as an ap box with ported assistance is wrong, instead I would look at it as a very leaky ported box. Trying to port a very small box gives you another set of problems. If your using 10's and up you need a bigish port area which leads to long port lengths and that leads to pipe resonances. I would think that as you have an enclosure controling the cone adding a layer of compressed fiberglass over the cone won't add anything to the SQ. As for damping harmonics I don't know. Have you thought about Mass Loaded TL's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4086
ok thanks that paln is scraped for now but I have been looking into transmission line enclosures but I need to learn alot in understanding the folds and such but given the proper education im sure I could understand them
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us