Amp problems. Not enough power?

Unregistered guest
The other day, I was in my car and hit the volume knob and heard some popping. I soon noticed that my subs werent hitting like they should (it was down low before). When at low volumes it does ok, but when you turn it up, they just dont have any power. I have a RF 201 amp and it has the nice glowing logo on top, but now when bass should be hitting, the logo dims really bad. I first thought it was a HU problem, but I got a new HU for christmas and that didnt fix it (that was when I checked and saw the lights on the amp dimming). I have never had this happen before and was just wondering if any of you guys had seen it. Thanks in advance for the help.

--Bloodshot--

Gold Member
Username: Chaunb3400

Huntsville, Alabama U.S.

Post Number: 3486
Alternator

Bloodshot
Unregistered guest
No, I dont think that's it. It worked fine before and nothing else dims, just the amp lights. And its only a 600 max watt amp. I've been running this setup for over a year now, and never had any problems with it until now.

Bronze Member
Username: Ruxpin20

DeTroiT, MIchiGan

Post Number: 40
it could be slowly killing your alternator

what kind of amperage does your stock alt put out?

Username: Boneywankenobi

Maryborough, QLD Australia

Post Number: 2
Just guessing but have you checked all the ground cables?

Unregistered guest
OK, here's the update. I tried new RCA cables, nothing. Checked the ground and cleaned it up some, nothing. I dont think it slowly killed the alternator because it happened all at once. Also, with my new HU, it has a vlotage meter, and it never goes below 13.5.

One thing I thought it could possibly be is a bad sub. If it blew, it would have no resistance, and then all the power could be going through that one.

Could it also maybe be a bad amp? Let me know what you guys think.

--Bloodshot--

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 220
shorts in the wiring(power/speaker lines)? fuses? try using a diff sub with yer amp / try your sub on a diff amp.

Username: Bies08

Wheaton, Kansas

Post Number: 3
I gotta problem, I had my friends Rockford Fosgate amp.....It turned on all the time, i was at work(on a farm) and i got off and turned on the car, and the amp dind't turn on....it kept on doing that for awhile, but every once in awhile it turned on and worked fine....i checked the fuses on the amp and they were fine...so i got an amp for christmas, and this amp has been doing fine so far, I gave the amp back to my friend, I'm praying to god that it was just some connection or something!cuz i dont have money to pay my friend 300 for that amp:S idk what to do/think?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us