Kind of disappointed...

Silver Member
Username: Nocc1n

US

Post Number: 156
I bought a set of the JL Zr's, the 5.25's, I installed the woofer in my kick and the tweeter about 6 inches above it pointed at the passanger on my side, and at me on the passenger side.
I have them hooked to a 300/4 amp and a Eclipse 8445 HU. The crossovers are mounted beside the amp on my amp rack in the trunk. I have the gain set properly and the speakers aren't what i expected.
Sound - Amazing.
Loudness - could be louder, which is what I want, I want a lot louder.
I've tuned with it and everything, I dunno what I should do cause I really want them to be louder.
Think they will get louder once they break in?
Somone give me some ideas lol

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5199
Bridge the amp and hook it to the crossovers, if you haven't already done so. That's an extra 3db right there.

I don't know how loud you're expecting them to be. There are very few components that will get as loud as, say, a subwoofer. If you get louder passive components, you'll likely get crappy SQ in the process. If you want louder with quality, you'd want horns and a strong 8" midbass driver or two. It would take more tuning, though.

Silver Member

US

Post Number: 157
ooo i see, so they can handle the 150 rms bridged? because i have the 8 volt pre outs on my deck and with the gain all the way down itll put out 150 rms bridged. ill try that, hope itll sound good lol. thanks for the advice though.

do you think this will keep up with a 13w7?

Silver Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 744
i got 150 watts goin to my XR's, which are mounted in kicks, and a 13W7, and they keep up fine. you'll need to play with the HU levels on some kinds music though, usually turning the sub down, lol, because it can be overwhelming sometimes.

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1409
nocc1n if u havew enough money for zrs then u can afford a true rms dmm. dont just leave the gain all the way down because ti goes up to 8v which is what ur hu is,... idk if thats the flipscreen eclipse (which is what i have) but the preout may actually not be quite 8v. with the dmm you can tune ur amp to get every last watt before clipping. my 300/4 actually puts out 80 sumin ( i forget axactly) watts before clipping. it should make them just a tad louder... just a tip :-) i may be upgradign to xrs one day as i currently run vrs

Silver Member

US

Post Number: 158
where can i get a true rms dmm, and i did have enough to pay for the zr's, the wiring, the amp, and some little stuff, only took me two paychecks lol. got them from a local shop. next step is a 13w7 in a box, havent decided if i wanna do sealed or ported yet, and imma sell the sub ive got now. its a type r 10 in a custom ported box made by alpine. I got it for free, and ive never seen one anywhere else so i dunno what to sell it for =/
but imma make my speakers louder when i go back to work, buy some more wires and bridge the speakers like jonathan said :-)

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5204
You won't need more wiring, just take the wires you've ran and rewire the amp in a bridge configuration. Don't know how you're running them as is, I'm guessing either off the front channels or biamped. Either way, it's just rewiring the connection to the amp, this one's a freebie :-)

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 597
that amp is not stable at 2ohms bridged. 3-8ohms. I guess its free, but it is not correct...

Silver Member

US

Post Number: 159
the speakers are 4 ohms at the crossover, and i have them on the front channel, should i bi-amp them? put the tweets on channels 1-2 and woofer on 3-4?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 5205
"that amp is not stable at 2ohms bridged. 3-8ohms. I guess its free, but it is not correct..."

The speakers are a 4 ohm load. It isn't like when you have two subwoofers, with a crossover you still have a nominal 4 ohm load because both drivers cover a different frequency range.

"the speakers are 4 ohms at the crossover, and i have them on the front channel, should i bi-amp them? put the tweets on channels 1-2 and woofer on 3-4?"

Just bridge the amp and connect it to the main input of the crossover (std. mode, not bi-amp).

Silver Member

US

Post Number: 161
thanks ill do that then.

Silver Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 615
Is that the only set of speakers on that amp? if so then fine, bridge them if not the only set, then you can not bridge that amp.

Silver Member

US

Post Number: 162
yeah they are
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us