Jonathan or james longo

barry manilow
Unregistered guest
what does this mean.
"Equivalent Suspension Stiffness (Vas)"

also which numbers should i be looking at in order for me to decide whether the enclosure should be sealed or ported.

Gold Member
Username: Rovin

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4017
your answers can be found here

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/theile.asp

barry manilow
Unregistered guest
r u giving me the link cause you don't know yourself?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4432
""Equivalent volume of compliance", this is a volume of air whose compliance is the same as a driver's acoustical compliance Cms (q.v.), in cubic meters. "Vas represents the volume of air that when compressed to one cubic meter exerts the same force as the compliance (Cms) of the suspension in a particular speaker. Vas is one of the trickiest parameters to measure because air pressure changes relative to humidity and temperature -- a precisely controlled lab environment is essential. Cms is measured in meters per Newton. Cms is the force exerted by the mechanical suspension of the speaker. It is simply a measurement of its stiffness. Considering stiffness (Cms), in conjunction with the Q parameters gives rise to the kind of subjective decisions made by car manufacturers when tuning cars between comfort to carry the president and precision to go racing. Think of the peaks and valleys of audio signals like a road surface then consider that the ideal speaker suspension is like car suspension that can traverse the rockiest terrain with race-car precision and sensitivity at the speed of a fighter plane. It's quite a challenge because focusing on any one discipline tends to have a detrimental effect on the others. " The12volt.com

Qts is what you look for to design a specific enclosure for a sub. under .50 is good sealed where over .50 is good for ported but it doesnt mean that if a sub has a QTS of .55 that is cant sound good both ported and sealed. What subs were you planning on useing? and were you planning on ported or sealed?

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 4433
haha good one rovin you beat me to it man.

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4018
no - i thought u would read it yourself & understand it alot better than if i worded it........

Gold Member

Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 4019
thought u guys mentioned were not around so i tried to see if i could assist him in any way ...Upload........

Gold Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 1457
hey barry rovin knows what he is talking about. i suggest you do some reading and if you don't understand certain things, then come back and ask.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5186
"Qts is what you look for to design a specific enclosure for a sub. under .50 is good sealed where over .50 is good for ported but it doesnt mean that if a sub has a QTS of .55 that is cant sound good both ported and sealed. What subs were you planning on useing? and were you planning on ported or sealed?"

Under .5 is ported (or small sealed), above .5 is sealed and .7 or so is more for infinite baffle. Most subs best suited to ported boxes are in the .30-.40 range IMO. Sealed, .4-.6. That's generalizing, though.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us