Pre-amp info reqd

Unregistered guest
I am a newbie at this so please excuse. I am trying to connect a record player to my computer to put music on some videos I am making. I know I need a pre-amp, but I am not certain what to get. The record player has two RCA outlets and the computer has mini-plug inlets for mic and line. Without the pre-amp I can detect no signal on the mic inlet and a very low signal on the line inlet.

TIA for any help.

Silver Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 219
use a RCA to 1/8" adapter. it will go straight from yer record player into yer comp. if the problem be that yer getting too low a signal from yer player, you're gunna need to get something that boosts the signal before it gets to the comp.

i used to plug my mic straight into my comp using adapters that took me from XLR to 1/8". i got a really low signal and would have to turn up the gain a lot in the recording program i used to hear anything. of course in turning up the gain it becomes distorted. What did i do? I got a small 8channel mixer (from a music store) for about $100. Works great! everything sounds wonderful. i could've gotten a single line preamp, but they cost a lot of money, more than the mixer!

good luck!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us