My avalanche.... found something out, but sill something is wrong!

Gold Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1334
okay guess what, i have my true RMS DMM now. i found out my 1000/1 was pushing about 85-100w rms to my avalanche lol. and yes, it was making that slapping sound and reaching xmax (but sonding crappy doing it). i correctly tuned my amp now. and the slapping went away. and while playing music its only 125 db. thats quiet for a avalanche 15...also the SQ is absent compared to how it was when i got it). oh actually, its not quite tuned correctly. i turned the gain down because i was getting a slight slapping sound at some points... but either way. my box is 2.165 cuft sealed with bracing. the box is extremely sturdy so thats not a factor. i dont see why its so quiet. and also, there should not be a slapping sound. so im still going to have to send it in on warranty, once i get my SE15s. oh and guess what. oh so great eclipse.... i have the best eclipse flipscreeen they make. its suposed to have 8V preouts, actually, they are less than 2... so idk how that managed to brake... once i save up around 2500-3000$ im redoing everything though. new HU, no EQ (more of hassle than worth), new components, new amps, new subs, new alternator, new wiring. its a beautiful thing

moral of part of the story. get a DMM. be careful with bass boost.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1335
oh and this sounds like 100% a subwoofer problem right. because if there is any chance of it being a amp problem i dont want to hook up my SEs to it...

Gold Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1330
What does your DMM look like?

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1336
umm its a extech 430 i believe.
how is that relevant? lol

Silver Member
Username: Nutty91rs

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 306
This is strange, have you taken out the sub and made sure the spider hasn't seperated at the cone somewhat? Also the Eclipse HU should be putting out at least close to it's rated preout voltage, something's messed up somewhere that's for sure. It almost sounds like a ground problem with your RCA's. Possibly try changing those and double checking grounds to the head unit. If you can hook your amp and sub up to someone elses HU would be the quickest way to single that out, then if the amp still makes the sub slap, try the sub on someone else's amp. It's tedious but it'll find the problem for sure.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1340
Does it give a wattage read out or do you use a formula to find it?

Anonymous

ummm, ive never seen a DMM with a correct wattage readout lol, there are formulas to it

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1347
Ive never seen a DMM with a wattage readout, lol

I can go find the formula for wattage. I have the notes from my electronics class sitting in my closet from last year.

Gold Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 1348
Voltage x Amperage = Wattage

Would need test tone to get an accurate reading at about 3/4 volume.

Bronze Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 74
watts=voltage x current(amps)
watts=resistance(ohms)x current squared
watts=voltage squared divided by resistance

just to add to the formulas above

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1339
yeah i used voltage^2 divided by ohm load.

come to think of it. my brother has a rockford bd1001p (pro series) sitting around. its unopened though. if i can get the approval from him to let me try it out i can test with that amp, and i just bought an alpine cda 9825, great HU. what a coincidence lol. i think i'll try that.

oh and yes ive looked at the sub before. spyders are intact ( thats what i thought too that the spyders toar..) and VCs are not burned.

and just for those of you who wanted to know. your outlet, if you hooked it up to a sub ( which i DO NOT reccomend, but people have) is 59.9 Hz lol. i have fun using my DMM when im bored....

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 309
That should isolate your problem, my first guess would be a bad ground to the head unit, so make sure that's got a good connection when you install the new Alpine. You can use the new DMM to check resistance at the new ground and have good fun. Also an outlet when hooked to a 4 ohm sub provides around 3600 watts, I've seen a "Junk" Hollywood Excursion 1080D withstand the wall outlet trick free air for about 40 seconds.

Silver Member
Username: Baseball1187

Columbia, SC

Post Number: 296
trevor, call chad and talk to him about it. he's pretty easy to reach

Silver Member
Username: Alex_f

Lawrenceburg, Ky Us

Post Number: 115
i didnt think anyone was up.lol

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 4090
How do you know your hitting 125 db's? Did you meter it yourself.

If the sub isn't slapping anymore, then you were severley clipping the amp before you checked things out. If that's true, the damage is probably already done to the sub....

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1340
well you see, the slapping would go on whehn using bass boost... even when i had it only at 3db. once i turned off the bass EQ it was okay, just not loud like before. but being the the voice coils arent burned what do you think would be wrong with the sub? and yes i metered it with a SPL meter form radio shack. at a 40hz tone i could prolly hit 130... but playing music the loudest ive hit was 125. but we all know a 15 inch avalanch should hit 130 with about 400watts easy. so a 1000/1 should make tat sub much louder.,,, all i can say is i cant wait to have my 4 15 inch SEs... which i havent ordered yet because my mom hasnt been home in time for me too yet...

Silver Member

Bloomington, Indiana USA

Post Number: 322
Where was your bass boost centered and how high were your gains? I still don't believe anything's wrong with the sub, did you ever try the other amp and head unit?

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 1158
Trevor...is ur avalanche \still in good condition...would u sell it? i would love 2 have it if its still good

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1350
brian- bass boost was centered at 35-40hz i think. gains were way beyond low. ( as in gains set at 8v and the HU was giving around 2V) i hooked up the alpine 9825 and the rockford power pro bd1001p and the sub was still not loud. (quite a bit quiter than before as it was 4ohms 500wrms) there is something wrong with the sub, i just cant figure it out.

dan- cosmetically there is nothing wrong. once i get my 4 15 SEs and i build the box for them and install them. i will ship my avalanche to chad and have him take a look. then it will be up for sale after it is fixed. sorry it will probbly be a good 2-3 months time or so... ive got my enclosure to build. plus my brothers... and 2 firends... plus school, gym, family and friends... ive got my hands full.

Gold Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 1161
well hit me up whenevr u get it fixed or watever...i want it...i will have an SX by then most likely...and if u get it fixed i will sell my sx cause i want that avalanche.
thanx

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1351
lol alright, i'll let you know.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 5043
Slapping indicates a mechanical issue with the subwoofer. Just because an amplifier clips doesn't mean it's going to throw the subwoofer in 50 million different directions, it will simply put out more average power and give off a lot of different harmonic content. Power is the ONLY thing that can kill a speaker, whether by thermally damaging the voice coil, or by overdriving the subwoofer and mechanically damaging it. There is no magic occurence that makes a speaker start rocking and scraping, it can only recieve power and recieve it at different frequencies.

Using a 3db bass boost means that you doubled the power at the center frequency. 6db would quadruple the power. And so forth. Avalanche is rated at 800 watts thermally, but mechanically it can reach its full output more quickly.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1353
so what exactly are you saying jonathan? u feel the VCs are fried or it has over excurted and is broken?

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 3868
trevor was this avalanch the one that was in the abc box we designed? Please tell me no.

Gold Member

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 1363
yes sean. same one lol.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us